The birth of a hot rod : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Drag Racing Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 01:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

little d wants to know Dino or Syn?
The birth of a hot rod

Mod's if this isn't the right place for this, please feel free to move it, thanks, D.

I'll start this thread with a little background on myself and how the bike came into being.

Growing up, I was truly blessed with having my Dad as a mentor. He was a self thought mechanical genius. Having grown up during the Depression, he not only made due with what he had, he tried to improve upon it and usually did.

When I wasn't in school (which I hated by the way), you could find me right behind my Dad's heels or under foot. This is where the tag "Little D" comes from. Dad not only put up with this, he took the time to explain what he was doing and why.

As a young man, I too had to make due with what I had and would buy junk and fix it up for transportation for myself. Dad was always there to lend a helping hand or advice.

Well, one thing led to another and I ended up with a little iron head Sporty that was my daily rider and I also ran at a local airport/weekend drag strip.

Again with his help, explaining that you couldn't just change one thing and expect to gain much, a little at a time we went through her; head work, cams, pistons, tranny work, tires, etc... When it was all said and done, I could hold my own with the local boys and damn I had fun doing it.

Life happened and the track closed, I started driving a truck over the road and ended up selling the hot rod. I've had several "road bikes" since but, have always missed the weekends at the track.

Fast forward to recent history where I've came off of the road, bought and played with a 80" evo in a softail frame that I got respectable numbers out of but, damn that frame was heavy and more recently, the FLT basket with the surprise!
little d is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 02:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

Ok, now that I've bored you all to tears with my history.... On to the bike.

A friend at work had this 80 FLT with the shovel in it that he flat wore out. Well after trying to rebuild it several times, it finely granded to the point of no return. I advised him to buy a stock Evo and with a little massaging, squeeze it in the frame and ride the wheels off of it. He ended up buying a 103" Ultma, which he ended up having trouble with (this bike is cursed but, more on that later).

After having that motor rebuilt, he was to the point of throwing up his hands and selling everything "as is". I told him he would loose his shirt like that and asked him to let me go through the chassis, re paint it and put everything back together and he could at least recoup his losses. Half way through the rebuild, he came to me and said he was done, sell it like it was, as is, so I ended up buying and finishing it.

Remember now, the motor was rebuilt by someone else so I didn't go through it, only the chassis, replacing bearings, seals, fairing, repainting and putting everything back together.

While breaking it in I noticed that it seamed a little "healthy" for a 103" but, I thought is was just my imagination (you know how it is, ya always think your bike is a little better than the next guy's). Anyway, after I broke it in, I took it to the local field meet and ended up smoking everyone in the bagger class and even held my own in the shoot out with every one else.

So, on the way to work one day, I pick up a ticking in the top end (remember me telling ya all the bike is cursed...), well I ended up breaking a oil line and ran it out of oil. After kicking rocks and calling the wife to come get me, I got it home and pulled it apart....This is where I found the surprise.

Time to get ready for work so tomorrow I'll start posting pics of "SOLO", the hot rod, in progress.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:21 AM   #3 (permalink)

Ultma had not only stood behind their product but had replaced the bad motor with parts for a 113"........ Ya, no wonder it was running so good, lol.

So now I have a bagger to commute to work on with way more motor than I need and a softie with a warmed up 80 that's damn near as heavy as the bagger....Only logical thing to do is to pull the 80 and put that in the bagger (which broke the case right behind the lifter blocks by the way....Did I mention that this bike is cursed?) and sell the softie frame and build a hot rod!!!!!!

With the money from the softie frame I bought a Paugcho 0 up, 0 out 35* neck frame, thinking I was getting the most bang for my buck, man I missed the boat on that one. By the time I had the neck cut and re raked to where it needed to be, about 40* and had everything else that was wrong re worked, I could have had a custom frame built the way I wanted to start with....Lesson learned.

I have never ran an open belt or mag on any of my builds but wanted the bare basics on this bike. A brother of mine had just taken a BDL set up off of his bike and donated it to the cause. Another friend of mine needed a tour pack for his bagger and since I had an extra one with the bagger, I swapped it for a mag and housing.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:50 AM   #4 (permalink)

Life has a way of gittin in the way sometimes and after taking a pay cut, I ended up gettin laid off and SOLO sat in the shop for a coupla years.

Well, I'm back to work now and funds are opening up a little so, it's back to work on the hot rod. New pipes, carb, oil tank plumbed and I rebuilt the magneto, time to fire her back up.....

Ya know that whirling sound ya hear when a starter lets go.....Ya well, now we are waiting for funds for a new, bigger starter and in the mean time, time to build the pegs, breaks, shifter, rear finder and seat pan.

And finely, here she is with my fat ass sittin on her and with the help of Racepres, a mock up of where the wheelie bars will mount.

Thanks everyone for lettin me tell my story and as more gets done, I'll add to this thread, D.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

Racepres wants to know Dino or Syn?
Juss wanna say 1st I like it and thanks for the Story.
2nd; We never had any problems with the stock starter, as long as we had enough Battery...In fact our "starter cart" at the strip for a long time was simply 2 very large 12v batteries in parallel, and a plug to start the bike, and a tiny , light weight battery to run the thing..Worked a Damn for a few seasons..
Marty
Racepres is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 12:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Thanks! I needed that.

Scabbydoo wants to know Dino or Syn?
Will be interested to see the final result, both the scoot itself and the track numbers.

95" Bore by Zippers - Wiseco 9.5 Pistons - T-Man StageII Heads - Andrews 37G Cams - Stock Crossover Dual Headers
Samson Fishtail SlipOn's - TTS Mastertune - Build and Dyno by JD's Cycle Works

HP=98.03 - TQ=102.14 Uncorrected
HP=93.36 - TQ=97.27 SAE Corrected

Cost of build, about right. Value of grins, PRICELESS!

Scabbydoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 12:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

Scabbydoo; Is that moniker for US43 dragway??
Been There??
RP
Old 01-17-2013, 01:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

strokerjlk is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Nice ... I like the mag and belt drive.
SE 218
DR 218

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
strokerjlk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 02:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

Marty,
Coming from you, that means a lot, thank you and Thanks for the heads up, I'll try that.

Scabbydoo
Since we don't have any assfalt tracks close anymore, she's gona be multi purpose, dirt drag with a 18" knobby, 18" by 4" slick for vintage drags and I'm gona run a 16" by 5" slick and try to make it to one of Marty's races.

Strokerjlk,
Thank you, with out taking off the starter (which I might do later), this is about as bare boned as I could build her. I think shes gona be a lot of fun that I can beat on with out having to sink a lot of money into.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

little d
Here is a blow-up of a wheelie bar mount..Not the clearest, but hopefully you get the idea..
Just a simple "pocket" or even sometimes [depending on weight and horsepower] a pair of ears.

That other "tab" above the bar end is the brake stay..
HTH
RP
Old 01-19-2013, 08:02 AM   #11 (permalink)
155" R&R TwinCam

dog155 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Good story,will have to wait till weekend shift is over to see pictures,Co computers are seriously protected.
Back when I got the bug to run as light as possible and still be street legal (barely) built a 74" PanHead.Totally enjoyed that bike for several years,till one day coming up against an 88" stroked Shovel.Shortly after that sold the Pan bought a new Shovel stroked it 93" and gone up from there.
Have fun and enjoy your new hot rod.
Dog
Whizzer motorbike
dog155 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 01:16 PM   #12 (permalink)

Marty,
I was thinking about getting a coupla 3 piece clamps to mount it but now, I'll make the brackets like you showed. Thanks for posting that pic, it shook me outa the half assed frame of mind, lol.

Anyone have luck with a single wheel?

Dog,
thank you. Had to chuckle at your story....When I was a snot nosed kid, one of the local "boys" built a 104", back then, ya there were some strokers, a few but, a 104"... Well, we all heard story's about it but I never got to see it until one night at a local bar, a guy with a 1100 yam was bragging about how no body in town could touch him.

Well, it wasn't long until someone made a call and the next thing ya know, the bar emptied out, everyone was out side and the yam and 104" were lined up on the street.

I know a lot of what I remember is my imagination but, I swear as he launched, that frame was flexing and twisting like a top fuel rail as the rear tire was fighting for traction, and loud...it wasn't just loud, it was deafening, lol. I'll take that memory to the grave.

Last edited by little d; 01-19-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:00 AM   #13 (permalink)
Thanks! I needed that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racepres View Post
Scabbydoo; Is that moniker for US43 dragway??
Been There??
RP
Has a whole different meaning. If you look hard, you'll find the answer here on V-Twin.

95" Bore by Zippers - Wiseco 9.5 Pistons - T-Man StageII Heads - Andrews 37G Cams - Stock Crossover Dual Headers

Old 01-21-2013, 03:03 AM   #14 (permalink)
Thanks! I needed that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by little d View Post
Scabbydoo
Since we don't have any assfalt tracks close anymore, she's gona be multi purpose, dirt drag with a 18" knobby, 18" by 4" slick for vintage drags and I'm gona run a 16" by 5" slick and try to make it to one of Marty's races.
When you get to gettin' it, would love see some pics and read some stories.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:10 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scabbydoo View Post
When you get to gettin' it, would love see some pics and read some stories.
Will do, I'm gettin pretty excited to run it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.