Carl's Speed Shop : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Motorcycle Related Groups and Forums > Dealership/Shop Experiences/Online Retailers
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2007, 08:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

blotz wants to know Dino or Syn?
Carl's Speed Shop

Beware of Carl's Speed Shop, phone number 386-677-8988, formerly of Daytona and now located in Ormond Beach. Please read my experience below before choosing them. I even offered to pay them for the repair and told Carl Morrow I was sorry for whatever I did to upset him and he refused to stand by his work as his web site states. He is hiding behind a 30 day warranty they printed on my receipt when I paid. They never mentioned a 30 day warranty when I ordered the work and the son stated the engine was bullet proof and may need a valve job after 20,000 to 30,000 miles. I was professional in my dealings and bent over backwards to resolve the issue and even offered to pay to repair their faulty work to no avail. I stand by my post and if have any questions call me.

Don Buechner
407-687-1180

Original Post

In September 06, I had my engine rebuilt by what I thought a respectful shop in Daytona Beach. Their shop has been featured in Easy Rider and Monster Garage. I spent thousand of dollars for a 120 HP 2004 Road Glide. I broke it in and had it on the dyno for final adjustments. After the dyno, I moved 3000 miles away in the Northwest. I rode my bike maybe 4 times before parking it for the winter in a heated garage. I rode it twice once the weather heated up a little and notice oil leaking out of the exhaust port. I do not know when the leak started. I have less than 300 miles since the bike had its final adjustment. I called up the shop owner and he was helpful at first. He said bring the bike to the shop and they would look at it. I told him I was 3000 miles away. He said to have the head taken off and send to the shop and they would fix it. He said it was an exhaust valve guide leak. I asked him if he would pay for the labor and that is when he started to go sideways. He said at the bottom of the receipt it stated there is only a 30 day warranty. He said I was lucky they were fixing it all since it was six months since the build date. I explained I had only rode it 300 miles if that. Their website stated they stand by what they build. I guess it is only for 30 days.

It took me two weeks to get someone to take off the head and I sent it to Florida a $90 shipping expense. I called the owner and told him it was on the way and again tried to get him to pay for part of the labor and he went off on me. I then asked him to at least send some gaskets to put the bike back together and he told me he would call me back. I have never been treated so poorly by a company.

Today I called his son, the person that put my bike together at the shop. His son stated he would talk to his dad about my bike. The son told me valve guides were tricky and the only way to tell if they were not installed properly was to ride it and determine if there was a leak. 15 minutes later there was a message from the dad on my phone telling me not to send my head and if I did he would send it back.

I called the owner up and he stated I was dishonest and would not do business with me. I told him my bike was in pieces and I needed my head repaired. His head has special made custom made valve guides from his shop. Where else can I get them from? He did not care. He said my heads were out of warranty and to bad. I told I had already spent several hundred dollars removing the head and $90 to mail it as he requested and he told me he was mailing it back when he gets it. I told him his son told me the motor they built was bullet proof and good for 20000 to 30000 miles.

I kept my cool and never raised my voice. He called me dishonest when he is the one going against his word. Who in their right mind would get work done at his shop if he told them upfront after 30 days you are on your on. So much for his statement in his web site.
blotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2007, 10:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
FNG :)

Purplehaze896 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I live about 10 minutes from that shop. I've talked to him in person and I wasn't very impressed. I would never bring my bike in there let alone work there.
Purplehaze896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 08:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

pddred2005duece wants to know Dino or Syn?
heads

I noticed your phone # is 407 area code,are you back in fla? If not where are you?
pddred2005duece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 11:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

blotz wants to know Dino or Syn?
I kept my 407 cell phone number because I still have a small business in Florida. I live in the Boise, ID area now.
blotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 04:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

FXDRYDR is reading this now saying WTF is this? FXDRYDR is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Wink So blotz...

I've seen your posts here and in other places. Lemme make sure I got this right: so you're sayin' ya DON'T like Carls...
S&S stuff.
Baisley Pro Street heads
+ Level 2 Mojo.
Badass pipe.
Torq Monster Motorworks
spec'd & built, extra "Special Sauce."
142HP - 148TQ SAE / 145/151 STD. More there.
Jimmy crack corn and I don't care.
FXDRYDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 12:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

PosseRider wants to know Dino or Syn?
Naww he's keepin his options open!!
PosseRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 01:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

pddred2005duece wants to know Dino or Syn?
roller rockers

I tryed to send youy a private message,you box is full. your carls 660g cams have .660 lift on intake valves and .660 lift on exhaust valves you need roller rockers. You said you have one head off,look at the rockers there should be a wheel on the end of the rocker that pushes down on the valve and it should spin freely!
pddred2005duece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 05:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

sportking wants to know Dino or Syn?
Roller Rockers

Quote:
Originally Posted by pddred2005duece
I tryed to send youy a private message,you box is full. your carls 660g cams have .660 lift on intake valves and .660 lift on exhaust valves you need roller rockers. You said you have one head off,look at the rockers there should be a wheel on the end of the rocker that pushes down on the valve and it should spin freely!
I had been following his other post . In there he said he had 600 cams.
I was curious as to if he had rollers too .
I had a build from Carls with 600G cams and no roller rockers . It had
Devastating effects
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rocker Arm Pad Wear 2.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	40017  
sportking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 05:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
FNG :)

Dynamic wants to know Dino or Syn?
Typhoon carburetor

There is a used Carl's Typhoon carb for sale. Is it any good? Can you get parts. Does it use stock cables? Appreciate any feedback before I buy it.
Dynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

TIMTOOLMAN wants to know Dino or Syn?
wow this shop used to be the "****" years ago
hillside stage 5 2nd gen heads
woods 400-6 cams
woods directional lifters
H.P.I. 58/58 T.B. with 1.800 intake runners.
6.2 injectors
s&s p rods
woods billet rocker supports, .030 offset
Rush Wrath 2-1
S.E.cam plate S.E. H.V. oil pump
Axtell oil bypass mod
tts Tuner
doherty p/p intake modified for hillside big green air filter
S.E. compensator
30 tooth pulley
big sky dual oil cooler fans
HTCS AW/SW USN RET
TIMTOOLMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

BMoscato wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamic View Post
There is a used Carl's Typhoon carb for sale. Is it any good? Can you get parts. Does it use stock cables? Appreciate any feedback before I buy it.
Carl's is still in business and still sells those carbs.

http://carlsspeedshop.com/zencart/carb.php
Sponsored Links
Advertisement