Another try : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum Non-Motorcycle Related Forums > Clean & Sober
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2007, 10:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Phemus

steveusmc wants to know Dino or Syn?
Another try

Friends.....After trying on my own to stay sober I have found I need something MORE than just ME. I have resolved that starting on Monday...no beer, no pepsi, no sweets....gym every morning early and then run/jog/walk 3 - 5 miles.
Will find a good AA meeting like I should have done all along. I will be giving up some old friends until I can truly say I can stay sober. I really believe that IF I can make it for a month, I can make it much longer after that milestone. Thanks for all your support before and I will keep you posted. I know the ball is in my court.
Semper Fi,
Steve
steveusmc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2007, 11:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Altered States

Waffen is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveusmc
Friends.....After trying on my own to stay sober I have found I need something MORE than just ME. I have resolved that starting on Monday...no beer, no pepsi, no sweets....gym every morning early and then run/jog/walk 3 - 5 miles.
Will find a good AA meeting like I should have done all along. I will be giving up some old friends until I can truly say I can stay sober. I really believe that IF I can make it for a month, I can make it much longer after that milestone. Thanks for all your support before and I will keep you posted. I know the ball is in my court.
Semper Fi,
Steve
A Marine can do anything... Stay strong.

Semper Fi

W
Waffen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2007, 11:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Viel Vergnügen

vindex1963 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
You can do it Steve and we are just a PM away.
Good plan and the meeting should be the top of the list.
Keep us up to date.

Please vote for Ride of the Month

Have a question about the site look here.

2004 Victory Vegas
2009 Ultra
vindex1963 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2007, 01:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Sick Puppy

firetronix01 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Good luck Steve.Meeting makers make it.

Ex wifes preacher said"Yeah...I know, I'm going to hell."

95"
Street ported heads w/SE springs
9.6:1 SE high comp. forged pistons
SERT
ThunderHeader
Andrews 37G cams
ThunderVolt50 ign wires
Metzler tires
Progrssive suspension
the list goes on and on
firetronix01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2007, 03:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
EASY DOES IT

swmnkdinthervr wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveusmc
Semper Fi,
Steve
We were here when ya needed us (I was wondering how things were going)...we'll be here again...just make the call, the softer easier way rarely is successful be we often have to fail at it before we realize that truth...you won't have to leave your friends if you truly intend to stay sober...only the real friend will remain through out your efforts.

If ya want my phone number "PM" me for it...you can call when ya need someone to offer support or just need someone to bounce sh!t off of...

My pics

'04 Springer Softtail, 98" Nikasil
swmnkdinthervr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2007, 08:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
Viel Vergnügen

Quote:
Originally Posted by swmnkdinthervr
If ya want my phone number "PM" me for it...you can call when ya need someone to offer support or just need someone to bounce sh!t off of...
X2........

2004 Victory Vegas
2009 Ultra
Old 07-21-2007, 10:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

Location: Discovered in 1904 by the Germans it's German for whales vagina.
Gunny4Sawx is reading this now saying WTF is this?
The Pensacola Group helped (started) me on my path. Give them a call or look them up online. One day at a time my brother
Gunny4Sawx is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2007, 12:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

twopffenig wants to know Dino or Syn?
A Vision For You
For most normal folks, drinking means conviviality, companionship and colorful imagination. It means release from care, boredom and worry. It is joyous intimacy with friends and a feeling that life is good. But not so with us in those last days of heavy drinking. The old pleasures were gone. They were but memories. Never could we recapture the great moments of the past. There was an insistent yearning to enjoy life as we once did and a heartbreaking obsession that some new miracle of control would enable us to do it. There was always one more attempt -- and one more failure.

The less people tolerated us, the more we withdrew from society, from life itself. As we became subjects of King Alcohol, shivering denizens of his mad realm, the chilling vapor that is loneliness settled down. It thickened, ever becoming blacker. Some of us sought out sordid places, hoping to find understanding companionship and approval. Momentarily we did -- then would come oblivion and the awful awakening to face the hideous Four Horsemen -- Terror, Bewilderment, Frustration, Despair. Unhappy drinkers who read this page will understand!

Now and then a serious drinker, being dry at the moment says, "I don't miss it at all. Feel better. Work better. Having a better time." As ex-problem drinkers, we smile at such a sally. We know our friend is like a boy whistling in the dark to keep up his spirits. He fools himself. Inwardly he would give anything to take half a dozen drinks and get away with them. He will presently try the old game again, for he isn't happy about his sobriety. He cannot picture life without alcohol. Some day he will be unable to imagine life either with alcohol or without it. Then he will know loneliness such as few do. He will be at the jumping-off place. He will wish for the end.

We have shown how we got out from under. You say, "Yes, I'm willing. But am I to be consigned to a life where I shall be stupid, boring and glum, like some righteous people I see? I know I must get along without liquor, but how can I? Have you a sufficient substitute?"

Yes, there is a substitute and it is vastly more than that. It is a fellowship in Alcoholics Anonymous. There you will find release from care, boredom and worry. Your imagination will be fired. Life will mean something at last. The most satisfactory years of your existence lie ahead. Thus we find the fellowship, and so will you.

"How is that to come about?" you ask. "Where am I to find these people?"

You are going to meet these new friends in your own community. Near you, alcoholics are dying helplessly like people in a sinking ship. If you live in a large place, there are hundreds. High and low, rich and poor, these are future fellows of Alcoholics Anonymous. Among them you will make lifelong friends. You will be bound to them with new and wonderful ties, for you will escape disaster together and you will commence shoulder to shoulder your common journey. Then you will know what it means to give of yourself that others may survive and rediscover life. You will learn the full meaning of "Love thy neighbor as thyself."

...................booze beat me to a state of being reasonable.........twopffenig..................
twopffenig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2007, 01:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
FNG :)

hurricaneduane wants to know Dino or Syn?
Glad to hear your going to meetings, not many get this thing the first time.

I hope you find a good sponsor, it made a huge difference for me.
Please call those that offer their number, you will be helping them as much as yourself.
hurricaneduane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2007, 04:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
motor machinist

jurneyman wants to know Dino or Syn?
Another try

It took a long time for me to get it. I was taught from when I was very young not to give up, if you quit you loose. I came from a place where you and your brothers are one. I believe you understand when I say that you will leave nobody behind. This is how I feel when a brother in spirit goes down to alcohol, you know if a brother in arms goes down you go in and get him, and maybe sometime in the future just like in the program he goes down again you are not going to leave him out there just because he had the misfortune of going down in the past.This is how I see how the program has worked for the last 18 years. In the beginning I found men in the program who showed me the difference between quitting and surrendering your fight as an individual, to accept the strength and power that can be found in numbers when you make that decision. I used to think I was a traitor to myself be giving up. my ego fought me with every step I tried to take, telling me not to let them break me, no matter how much it hurt don't quit, don't give up, keep fighting don't let them beat you. You are in control of your own life don't give anyone or anything else control, it is yours don't give it up, you don't need help you can do it alone. Because your ego driven disease knows if you bring in the calvary for little help its not going to win the battle on this day, by using the help offered by men who can show you the way, they will not in any way think you are showing weakness, but that you are using your intelligence, there is power in numbers. No matter
which way you decide to go you surrender your will either way, to the alcoholic way of life run by your disease, were you have no other choice but to drink, where I was at the end, or to the life that allows you to make your own choices about your life, where I am now, Which choice allows you more freedom. Try to stop by at least once a day, just to touch base, It helps.
jurneyman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2007, 05:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
Phemus

steveusmc wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thanks to you guys the weekend is going very well......I have read your posts several times today..and will some more later..and tomorrow too.
steveusmc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2007, 08:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

cootertwo wants to know Dino or Syn?
ODAAT AA works, if you work it
cootertwo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2007, 09:21 AM   #13 (permalink)
FNG :)

ericwhit wants to know Dino or Syn?
Atta boy! My thoughts and prayers are with you, brother.
ericwhit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2007, 01:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
Viel Vergnügen

How about an update Steve.

2004 Victory Vegas
2009 Ultra
Old 07-24-2007, 05:17 PM   #15 (permalink)
motor machinist

jurneyman wants to know Dino or Syn?
another try

Steve, I said what I had to say, to share my experience, Just don't pick up a drink today, is what you have to do, and if you can give us a word to let us know how you are dealing with it, we can, and will, support your effort,
jurneyman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.