American Ironhorse "Texas Chopper" vs. Big Dog "Chopper" - Page 2 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Choppers and Customs General Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2004, 04:43 PM   #16 (permalink)
FNG :)

chaos wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchbiker
You can get a TX Chopper with Chrome package, that's a $1,875 option which IMHO is a rip-off.
Personally, I take polished over chromed anyday. Once chrome is scratched, it's irreversible, not the case with polished aluminum. Polished is more maintenance but who cares. That's a 1hr job once a month to keep your scoot in showroom condition. Using a polishing disk on a high speed drill, it does the job in no time with the right polishing compound.
I understand why some people may desire polished aluminum but it always has the look of being old and used. When you put a bike with polished aluminum next to a bike that is chromed the difference is staggering. I have several friends with AIH’s with the polished aluminum and when they park next to my bike every one of them comments on how better looking my bike is and how they wished they had chromed their bikes. Polished aluminum is definitely a downgrade from chrome or they would charge more for the polished aluminum. Just my preference but I respect what ever the next guy has on his bike.
chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2004, 10:57 PM   #17 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

frenchbiker wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Joe
French,

I hear ya bro, But which compound do you think is best?

Thanks, MJ
Personally, I like Autosol a lot. It's a German metal polish.

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/revie...osolReview.htm
frenchbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 03:13 AM   #18 (permalink)

radrex04 wants to know Dino or Syn?
^Thanks, Ill have to try that stuff out.
radrex04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 08:41 AM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

Thunderhog wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh1deuce
Forgive the curve ball, but have you looked at the Swift choppers? They are brutal with top notch components.

Or Midwest Choppers? maybe the best of them all.
Thunderhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 01:04 AM   #20 (permalink)
IronButt

kromepony wants to know Dino or Syn?
I work part-time in a bike shop in s/e michigan. The service area has had six Swift bikes in there for most of the summer. Three had broken shift levers at the trans, two had major oil leaks from just about every place that oil could leak. The last had electrical problems that required replacing wire looms, ignition, coil, voltage regulator, computer, etc. Each bike has been back for other problems from broken brake rotors (the 'floating' rotor) to cracked gas tanks. Numerous parts coming loose. Swift has honored their warranty and paid for the repairs, but the guys had no bike for a large portion of the summer. The Big Dogs that have come in have been having some simliar problems, but not as often. AIH will not allow us to repair their bikes, the owners must take them back to the dealer they got them from. Which sucks because the dealer does not seem to have the time to fix them. So there are more guys without their choppers during our short riding season. I have a MCC Street Monster that is very high quality and dependable (and f#^K*@g beautiful), but it too developed a crack in the gas tank and hurt some paint. Fixed with no major problems. The bottom line is QUALITY. If you want beauty, quality and dependability, shop around and dont go with the cheapest. After seeing all these go thru our shop and listening to other horror stories, I'll stay with my MCC. Just MHO.
kromepony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 09:34 AM   #21 (permalink)
Let er rip!

oh1deuce wants to know Dino or Syn?
So the S&S engines in the Swift bikes are big time leakers, and the Baker tranny's aren't holding up. Right...... Swift, Big Dog, and AIH are junk, and MCC is the way to go.

I read a hell of a lot of message boards, and you are the only one saying this.
oh1deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 09:59 AM   #22 (permalink)
IronButt

Not saying they are junk. Just the quality of assembly isn't as good as what it should be for the money you pay for them. Did not mean to PO anyone. Just wrote personal observations.
Old 09-19-2004, 03:43 PM   #23 (permalink)

Pat03swift wants to know Dino or Syn?
i guess S&S sells MCC the "good" engines, and Baker sells MCC the "good" trannys, and Performance Machine sells MCC the "good" rotors.

And these companys sell the crap parts to all of the other manufacturers

I guess someone made a mistake and sold at least one crap gas tank to MCC.

As far as bolts comming loose, i guess MCC is the only one that uses "good" loctite
Pat03swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 11:59 AM   #24 (permalink)
Banned

hotmtrsports wants to know Dino or Syn?
That is quite a slam on the other brands by kromepony except for the one kromepony owns.

I've had my American Ironhorse Slammer for about 2 months and 2,000 miles. Had a loose ground wire which was no big deal. One chrome piece that is a Joker part being covered by warranty. Mine looks "f#^K*@g beautiful (as kromepony said about his)" too.

I saw a Swift Bike last week that the owner bought at Laconia this year. He loves it, rides it hard, and it's had no issues. His bike looks ace.

I'm with oh1deuce and Pat03swift on this one.

Chuck

Last edited by hotmtrsports; 09-21-2004 at 08:53 AM.
hotmtrsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 08:17 PM   #25 (permalink)

Mighty Joe wants to know Dino or Syn?
Talking

My AIH Texas Chopper has no problems! And it is Beautiful to ride and to look at............

Life is good!

MJ
Mighty Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 10:34 PM   #26 (permalink)
IronButt

"Houston, we have a problem". I have tried to demonstrate that ALL bikes have problems. Brand or model not with standing, the experience "I" have had with the wide variety available is that some dont give you the best quality for your dollar. If you have six Swift bikes and two Big Dogs in your shop for warranty work, what would you think? I would much rather be wrong about this and see bikers with a big grin on their face than to see some one PO'ed because they cant get on the road. If you have a custom chopper and are trouble free, then God bless you. I hope it continues this way and you never have to see the inside of a repair shop for as long as you own your chopper.As for MCC, they get S&S components for their motors and assemble them in-house. They balance the flywheels, they bore the cylinders to the pistons, they port and polish the heads, etc. All other builders use 'crate' motors. They use the same Baker tranny's as everyone else, but they use very strict guidelines on alignment of moter and trans. Any gearheads out there remember how important this is? It is even more important when you have the off-set for that big, fat tire in the back. It is attention to detail that determines quality, not how bright the chrome is or how fat the frame is. If I have offended anyone that has a custom chopper, and has had no problems--sorry. Hope to see you in the wind, if I ever get my gas tank back!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-25-2004, 09:44 AM   #27 (permalink)
Let er rip!

That is awesome that MCC puts that much attention to detail in their bikes. It sounds like a unique shop.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:20 AM   #28 (permalink)
Banned

hotmtrsports wants to know Dino or Syn?
kromepony:

I know what you trying to say, but the spin you put on MCC is a bit one sided.

American Ironhorse does the same thing with their S&S engines... so not "All other builders" use crate engines. I'm not sure of the other brands so I don't dare speak for them. I guess I'll defend what I own and others will defend what they own. We all spent alot of money getting the right bike of each other. I tried as hard as I could to look up the companies that had the styles I was interested in as well as the local dealerships and their experience. I still think my choice was right for me and many others by the looks of the dealership's success.

Most of us here know that a fat frame and chrome are not everything and I agree that attention to detail is and always has been number one.

I've also heard of even more quality and warranty problems with moco lately.

Chuck

Last edited by hotmtrsports; 09-27-2004 at 10:36 AM.
hotmtrsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 01:24 PM   #29 (permalink)
IronButt

Ratdog wants to know Dino or Syn?
I think you can get a lemon in anything, cars ,boats, bikes, etc They all have good ones and bad ones...
Old 10-03-2004, 08:39 PM   #30 (permalink)
Let er rip!

It looks like MCC may be going out of business. They have a no reasonable offer refused sale ad in today's Star Tribune. It said shop tools and their hauler....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement