Spun mains : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Choppers and Customs General Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 04:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

hdjoe wants to know Dino or Syn?
Spun mains

About 10 years ago I bought a project bike that was in a lot of pieces. When rebuilding it back then we found that the shovel cases that I had, hd the main bearings spun. I was lucky enough to have a friend who had another set of cases that I used.

I now am thinking about a new chopper project and would like to kick around the idea of getting these cases fixed and using them. I can't believe the prices for used shovels anymore.

I was told many years ago that they could be fixed, so can someone answer a couple of questions for me and thanks in advance:

1) Can these actually be fixed?
2) If they can be fixed, what is the solution? (online articals?)
3) Approximately how much would it cost?
4) Recommendations on someone to do the work?

thanks again,

Joe

50 Pan
46 Flat
72 Shovel
hdjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 01:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

gretsch58 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Hard to say without seeing pictures of the cases and knowing what exactly is wrong with them.

Cost is gonna be whatever shop rate is. Probably 80 bucks a hour.

So it really depends on how much time will be needed to fix them as far as cost is concerned.

I had some bad cases that needed 600 bucks worth of work. I decided to pay 600 bucks for some brand new Ultima Cases.

As far as who to recommend in CA, I have no idea.

http://www.shovelhead.us/shops/#California

"Why behave in public when you're living on a play ground" DLR

Last edited by gretsch58; 01-09-2013 at 02:57 PM.
gretsch58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

johnjzjz wants to know Dino or Syn?
what happens is this the timkin side i an guessing you are calling the mains L/S of the bike -- the block is set in a bridgeport and the ( main ) Timkin side is bored < this depends how much on when it comes round and straight to the bridgeport zero -- the center snap ring between the races may have to be massaged as well, again it all depens on how much being removed -- than an alloy sleeve is made and interference fitted at a 350 400 degrees heated case at .002 or even .0025 press, the sleeve is frozen 50 below and they are mated together -- not for a novis to try -- 48 hours later in a stable temp shop the boring begins again to the standard race press size and that is around .001 under, when all of that is complete the pinion tool is inserted and the pinion race in than lapped to the new timkin race location and the bearing is fitted, size again depends on how far out it was -- its not going to be off that much but when it spun it may have cause an issue and this will correct it - having said all of that you need a good shop to do this job, and its not cheap in my shop, its the cost of a new set of cases -- so we as most just talk the customer into a set of new cases - PLEASE NOTE : if it is a resto on a 47 knuckel like we are doing in the shop right now and that work is needed than cost is not a consern -- your best and cheapest bet is to price shop a set of cases that fit the rest of the parts you have --jz
johnjzjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement