AME Chopper kits any good? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Choppers and Customs General Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 09:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

pcarrell wants to know Dino or Syn?
AME Chopper kits any good?

I don't know much about these kits, so I'm asking all of you if these things are any good. With the triples being where they get the rake, wouldn't that create a pretty bad chopper flop in the steering?

Anyways, here's a link to their site: http://www.chopperkitusa.com/
pcarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 11:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

ramcr913 wants to know Dino or Syn?
pcarrell:
Unfortunately I have no first-hand experience with theses kits. After taking a look at their site, it looks like they addressed the trail issue; apparently they are using raked cups to overcome the trail decrease caused by the raked trees. Your question "wouldn't that create a pretty bad chopper flop in the steering?" is a good question. All front ends suffer from some degree of flop, but a well-designed and well tuned front end isn't going to give you any flop problems. My suggestion- go to http://www.chopperhandbook.com/rockers.htm and read the section on flop. Then, contact AME if possible and make sure you know what you are getting into.
Also, take a hard look at the bike pics that have the front ends installed- compare them to bikes that carry the rake in their necks. Make sure the "look" you want can be accomplished with the rake in the front end instead of the frame. Everyone has an opinion, and personally the raked front ends "look" to me kinda... well... like a shortcut. Good luck, let us know what you find out. And post the pics!
ramcr913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

hondo2doc wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have the AME kit on my '93 FXR. Been on for 2 years now. I have the 18 degree kit. No wheel flop at all. It is by my experience a well built and deigned system. My biggest adjustment was how far out there ny front wheel was. And the reduced radius of a u turn

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Motorcycle.com Free App
hondo2doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

913, that's some good advice....thanks.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

hondo, I'm glad to hear from someone with first hand experience. You mention you did the 18 degree setup, but not the extension length. You wouldn't happen to remember that, would you? And how did the install go?
Old 11-12-2012, 10:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

hondo2doc wants to know Dino or Syn?
Yes I got the 18 degree kit with 6 inch over stock down tubes as well. I did not install it my self I had my wrench do (he is a good friend of mine). He told me that it was not a difficult install though. The FXR is a relatively small bike so I wanted to stretch it out a bit. I do get lots of compliments on it. And more inportantly I like the look. But If I were to do it again I would chose the smaller kit. I think it was 13 degree. The reason is the further you push the front wheel out away from the bike the more you lose nimbleness of the bike. I would have chosen the midway degree rake.

But with that being said I do love what I have. And I think it is a well made kit.
Sent from my SPH-D710 using Motorcycle.com Free App
hondo2doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

I was kicking around the idea of the 14 degree kit. Thanks for your input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement