Octane? Regular? Super? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Choppers and Customs General Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2012, 09:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

Rickstar321 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thumbs down Octane? Regular? Super?

I pulled up to the pump and the "tanker" driver was there filling up the gas stations tank, walked over and asked me if I use octane boost... I was filling up with 87 and he said he always uses premium in his HD, with octane boost...

The 87 is what is recommended for my Yammy but didn't even consider that I'd need to put premium in my custom?

I have an Evo 80 CI, with S&S Super shorty...

Thanks,
Rick

Ok, I know I'm answering my own question but this is a very good explanation of the combustion process... (Clicky Here)
  • 04 Custom built Stretched/Raked Daytec Frame, Stretched tank, Deuce front end, 21" Front tire, Evo 1340, S&S Shorty E, Supreme Legends Fwd Control, 2 1/2" Samson Pipes, Oil Cooler... (My Pretty Weekend Cruiser) + more!
    My Custom Thread
  • 04 Vstar 1100, lowered, Dragon's Breath pods, Cobra Dragsters, (Daily rider 90 mile round trip to work where it gets covered in slag dust!)

Last edited by Rickstar321; 10-25-2012 at 09:34 AM. Reason: (added link)
Rickstar321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2012, 10:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Who Cares

any4xx wants to know Dino or Syn?
Good article. But regarding which octane to use, I have always let my vehicles tell me what they need. Most of my HD's have been quite happy with regular gas. My current EG wants premium or it will ping under load. My V-Rod also asks for premium or it will talk to me. The thing that a lot of folks fail to consider is that there's more power stored up in a gallon of regular than there is in a gallon of premium. You will always be better off, both financially and in power-production, with the lowest octane your bike will drink without pinging.

Sent from my SCH-I815 using Motorcycle.com App
any4xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

webco2 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by any4xx View Post
Good article. But regarding which octane to use, I have always let my vehicles tell me what they need. Most of my HD's have been quite happy with regular gas. My current EG wants premium or it will ping under load. My V-Rod also asks for premium or it will talk to me. The thing that a lot of folks fail to consider is that there's more power stored up in a gallon of regular than there is in a gallon of premium. You will always be better off, both financially and in power-production, with the lowest octane your bike will drink without pinging.

Sent from my SCH-I815 using Motorcycle.com App
Don't ya just hate it when your bike drinks without you...

webco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

mistert wants to know Dino or Syn?
87,89,91 or 93?

Over the years (25-30+), I have found that engines will perform better with quality fuel, Harley's, hot rods, whatever.. That doesn't necessarily mean higher octane but, with the ethanol being added, the "quality" has gone way down. You may get away with low grade fuels but I strongly recommend at least 89 octane in any Harley...and...if it is modified in any way I'd jump it to at least 91 octane. I run 91 if I can't get 93 and will get better milage, no popping or backfire and a smoother-quicker throttle response. for the past 10 years or so I've added "rocket fuel" (octane booster) to any tank of fuel that was undr 91 octane and have had most of my customers do the same. We used to burn the cheapest gas we could find and ping....all the was home. Feed you rides good fuel and they will reward you whether you realize it or not.
note: there is a limit...I'd suggest not running over 93-94 octane. Most stock and moderately modified engines do not need that high an octane in fact you'll prpbably encounter some problems doing so i.e. valve buring, pre-ignition etc..
mistert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Average Dude

YankeeBob is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistert View Post
Over the years (25-30+), I have found that engines will perform better with quality fuel, Harley's, hot rods, whatever.. That doesn't necessarily mean higher octane but, with the ethanol being added, the "quality" has gone way down. You may get away with low grade fuels but I strongly recommend at least 89 octane in any Harley...and...if it is modified in any way I'd jump it to at least 91 octane. I run 91 if I can't get 93 and will get better milage, no popping or backfire and a smoother-quicker throttle response. for the past 10 years or so I've added "rocket fuel" (octane booster) to any tank of fuel that was undr 91 octane and have had most of my customers do the same. We used to burn the cheapest gas we could find and ping....all the was home. Feed you rides good fuel and they will reward you whether you realize it or not.
note: there is a limit...I'd suggest not running over 93-94 octane. Most stock and moderately modified engines do not need that high an octane in fact you'll prpbably encounter some problems doing so i.e. valve buring, pre-ignition etc..

Deut. 23:12-13
YankeeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

gretsch58 wants to know Dino or Syn?
My FXR manual says 87 octane for my 93 EVO. That's what I've always run. I don't get pinging.

"Why behave in public when you're living on a play ground" DLR
gretsch58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

lucille wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistert View Post
...I'd suggest not running over 93-94 octane. Most stock and moderately modified engines do not need that high an octane in fact you'll probably encounter some problems doing so i.e. valve burning, pre-ignition etc..
Isn't valve burning, hotspots, knock, etc., a result of pre-ignition (pinging)? How is a higher than adequate octane going to cause the problem (pinging/pre-ignition) it was ment to control?
lucille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

gretsch58 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Correct me if i'm wrong, but I don't think this question should be in the chopper section.

"Why behave in public when you're living on a play ground" DLR
gretsch58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

Rickstar321 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsch58 View Post
Correct me if i'm wrong, but I don't think this question should be in the chopper section.
I wasn't sure about that because I'm not riding a "store bought" Harley, it's a custom built bike... so that's why I put it here because it's a little different animal... :-)
  • 04 Custom built Stretched/Raked Daytec Frame, Stretched tank, Deuce front end, 21" Front tire, Evo 1340, S&S Shorty E, Supreme Legends Fwd Control, 2 1/2" Samson Pipes, Oil Cooler... (My Pretty Weekend Cruiser) + more!
    My Custom Thread
  • 04 Vstar 1100, lowered, Dragon's Breath pods, Cobra Dragsters, (Daily rider 90 mile round trip to work where it gets covered in slag dust!)
Rickstar321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:51 AM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

petew wants to know Dino or Syn?
I read an artical about race fuel vs. ethanol tainted 91 octane gas in one of the sport bike magazines and the difference measured via a Dyno.
On a 1000 cc motorcycle it made like 7hp and 9tq more on 110 octane vs. the 91 ethanol mixed gasoline.
Now I tried a tank full of the 110 and I sure can tell the difference in my HD. No pings, just roll on at 50 mph in 6th gear and it doesn't buck or shudder, it just pulls much harder.
Now I am not gonna run it as my normal fuel, the cost is like 9 bucks a gallon...
2011 FLTRX 103" Stage IV, HoleShot Choppers LED Lighting, SE 259E Cams, SE Super Tuner, SE Heavy Breather AC, SE CNC heads, SE 58MM Throttlebody, Vance&Hines Power Duals, and V&H Hi-Output Slip-ons, Renegade Racine Contrast Cut 21x3.5 17x6.25/ Avon 120/70x21" Avon 200/55x17" Dyno Tuned by HDHD 117HP 111TQ
petew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement