Buying a custom built bike : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Choppers and Customs General Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2012, 09:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

Rickstar321 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Buying a custom built bike

Hello all :-)... I'm in the process of buying a custom built bike, when I get it I'll have the complete book on the build with all the parts listed.

It has a stretched frame, Deuce front end, Evo 88 motor, belt drive, 21" front and 180 rear, solo and 2 up custom made seats.

As soon as I get it I want to extend the forward controls about 4-5 inches, I'm 6'4" with long legs. I'm curious about what's the best way to get the mounting plates made? And is stainless better than aluminum for this application?

Also all the cables are covered in stainless, but no blinkers and I would rather have them, any recommendations?

I'm also going to change out that huge windshield for a wind vest.
Rickstar321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2012, 08:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

Rollmeaway wants to know Dino or Syn?
Check out alloy art they have some pretty clean ideas as far as signals goes.

As for the forward control mounting plates, you can either buy them from an aftermarket supplier or make your own. If you have access to a waterjet your half way there. Myself I would use stainless because of its durability & it's ability to polish up like chrome if thats the look your after.
And we rolled...... clean out of sight

Dare...

2000 FXST - Carbed
Rollmeaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

grndpndr wants to know Dino or Syn?
Congrats on the new ride and welcome.....

forward control extentions are a pretty straight forward fabrication project. You can lay them out on a stiff peice of paper (a shirt or shoe box works well), then use your existing hole patterns as a guide for your template, You can add to the length you want simply by moving the hole patterns farther apart on the template...you can even adjust them up or down if you want.
Once you get your holes relocated on your template you can trim and shape the brackets any way you want. I would use 1/2 inch aluminum plate. It cuts and drills easily and works well with a hand file in the final finishing stages...plus it will polish up to a mirror finish if thats what you want. Unless you off set you brackets it will move each side out 1/2 inch, I doubt you would even notice it.....

As far as turn signals, they make some that mount on useing extended mirror bolts that keeps things pretty simple. Thats the type I used.
Be sure to take a few pics along the way!!!
grndpndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

Rollmeaway,
I guess my material will depend on what I can get cut at one of the local machine shops... but I live in a pretty rural area so my choice may already be made for me lol... but I think I would prefer stainless if possible. As for the lights, I want to go as small, clean and bright as I can lol... and I'm also going to have to look into a switch for them... I've found some pretty cool looking switches but the prices are WAY out there!

Thanks,
Rick

Last edited by Rickstar321; 09-03-2012 at 02:03 AM. Reason: "reply to" wasn't clear
Old 09-03-2012, 02:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

Thanks grndpnder!
If I can't get the plates made locally then I'll order some 1/2" Aluminum flat stock and see what kind of mess I can make.. lol.. I doubt I could cut and file the stainless.

I'll have to look into the extended mirror bolt signals and how the wiring would work to keep them covered... thanks :-)

I'll be sure to take lots of pics and I'm sure I'll have more questions down the road :-)
Old 09-03-2012, 02:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

A few more pics of the bike... pre-ricktafied... :-)

Old 09-03-2012, 08:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

Rollmeaway wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickstar321 View Post
Rollmeaway,
I guess my material will depend on what I can get cut at one of the local machine shops... but I live in a pretty rural area so my choice may already be made for me lol... but I think I would prefer stainless if possible. As for the lights, I want to go as small, clean and bright as I can lol... and I'm also going to have to look into a switch for them... I've found some pretty cool looking switches but the prices are WAY out there!

Thanks,
Rick
Eh Rick

If your rural you got the best of both worlds, Stainless is a material which can be worked with but can also give ya fits.
I am sure there is machine shop that could cut ya stainless to fit. The beauty of aluminum its soft & can be ground, filed, sanded, & polished & like Grndpa stated it can be done at home.

On the other hand the stainless once done is almost a bolt on project with the 1 exception of polishing. The effect is also more prominent unless you chrome plate the aluminum. As was already said ... the thickness is a definite consideration especially on the right side due to airbox depth off the carb/efi.

Here the tail lights I was speaking of, something to consider.

Who's frame is the engine sitting in

http://www.alloyart.com/products/ssl.html
And we rolled...... clean out of sight

Dare...

2000 FXST - Carbed
Rollmeaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
Premium Member

High Torque wants to know Dino or Syn?
Rick, Nice bike to start with. Just looking at the chrome (or polished stainless) dash pad. That might be blinding when the sun is shinning. Good luck with your "rickafications"
High Torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

RMA, (Rollmeaway)
I would like those lights better, and if I go with a recessed tail light/license mount I will definitely go with something like those, but if you notice from the rear pic, it has 2 lights on either side of the tail now that I'm going to put lights in... for now... and I guess I'll just get some small bullet lights for the front... and for switches I would love to put something like this...

or maybe something like this...

but these people must be putting gold in their switches or something because they sure are proud of them!

The frame is a Daytec, I'll get a the specs when I get the bike... which should be in the next week or so. I'm like a little boy right now and can't wait! lol...
Old 09-03-2012, 07:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

HT,
I've kind of wondered about that too, but Jim never mentioned it being a problem... If it is then I'll just have it wrapped in leather :-)... I guess I could do that and not cause any corrosion issues?
Thanks,
Rick
Old 09-03-2012, 07:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

wow... I just noticed this...
Quote:
Rickstar321
Thank you for posting! Your post will not be visible until a moderator has approved it for posting.
Is this something that the FNG's have to go through or is it for everyone?
Old 09-03-2012, 10:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

springer- is still riding a stock bike springer- is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickstar321 View Post
wow... I just noticed this...

Is this something that the FNG's have to go through or is it for everyone?
It is a filter system to help stop forum spam. It actually works very well. It looks at several things like post count, links, embedded pictures and more. If the post has certain combinations of the above mentioned, it marks it for review prior to posting it.

Check out Ride of the Month

207-621-8089
springer- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:36 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

Thanks Springer... and yeah I guess since I loaded up that post with pic links it was flagged :-)...

I'll try to keep that to a minimum :-)
Old 09-04-2012, 10:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

Doing some research on custom frames... came across this article ... you would think these guys have some type of quality control / pride in what they are doing...

This bike I'm buying from a friend that has had it for awhile so I'm pretty confident about it's quality... but still makes me wonder... lol
  • 04 Custom built Stretched/Raked Daytec Frame, Stretched tank, Deuce front end, 21" Front tire, Evo 1340, S&S Shorty E, Supreme Legends Fwd Control, 2 1/2" Samson Pipes, Oil Cooler... (My Pretty Weekend Cruiser) + more!
    My Custom Thread
  • 04 Vstar 1100, lowered, Dragon's Breath pods, Cobra Dragsters, (Daily rider 90 mile round trip to work where it gets covered in slag dust!)
Old 09-09-2012, 10:49 AM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

This is going to be a seriously mixed emotion week... I'll be picking up my new bike, and... we will be dropping my oldest son Chris, with the Marines. He leaves a week from today for boot camp. He's wanted to be a Marine since he was in pre-school, but wow... it sure has happened fast!

One very proud pappa :-)
  • 04 Custom built Stretched/Raked Daytec Frame, Stretched tank, Deuce front end, 21" Front tire, Evo 1340, S&S Shorty E, Supreme Legends Fwd Control, 2 1/2" Samson Pipes, Oil Cooler... (My Pretty Weekend Cruiser) + more!
    My Custom Thread
  • 04 Vstar 1100, lowered, Dragon's Breath pods, Cobra Dragsters, (Daily rider 90 mile round trip to work where it gets covered in slag dust!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement