Ultima frame chop build - Page 2 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Choppers and Customs General Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 12:08 PM   #16 (permalink)
IronButt

ramcr913 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Gretch58- I took a look at your Frisco build, NICE work. Lots of details, all of which are noteworthy... but man I am liking those ole style white coke-bottle handgrips.
BTW, I used to play a Gretch back when I was gigging. We did a lot of classic rock, country, and some 50's. Switched to a bigsby-equipped Telecaster for the country but I loved that Gretch for everything else.
ramcr913 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 09:41 PM   #17 (permalink)
IronButt

Got the engine back in today, then worked on getting the drive train aligned. The transmission required a bit of shimming under the rear mounting studs, in order to tilt it forward a bit to get the motor plate lined up. I used some auto body shims, it took about .045" to get it set up. Will pick up some stainless shim washers for final assembly, now that I have the thickness more or less nailed down. At this time, the engine mounting bolts are tight, and the tranny is tightened down as well. Took a few tries to get the shim combination right but now the motor plate slips right in place, with the bolts lined right up to the motor and transmission.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:45 AM   #18 (permalink)
IronButt

TimNY wants to know Dino or Syn?
Ramcr.
Real nice build . Nothing like doing it yourself.
Take your time - one part at a time .
Soon enough you'll be riding down the road on your pride and joy.
No other feeling like it . Trust me its worth the wait .

Last edited by TimNY; 11-19-2012 at 10:52 AM.
TimNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 07:31 PM   #19 (permalink)
FNG :)

shmaldaz07 wants to know Dino or Syn?
springer front end

What up man. I got the same frame but the rigid 200 series. i was wondering how many inches over stock that front end is u r running?
shmaldaz07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 09:15 PM   #20 (permalink)
IronButt

TimNY: Yep, I have doing this build since April and have pretty much stayed at it slow and steady. Fortunately I have a Softail up and running so staying patient is a little easier...
Thanks for the headsup.

Shmaldaz07: I am not trying to a smarta$$, but "over stock" is kind of a tough question- over stock relative to a 97 softail, or 2003 Fatboy, or...?
So to answer your question, here are measurements from 3 bikes, measuring from the bottom of the lower triple tree to the axle center:
1997 Softail custom- 24"
1980 FXEF- 22"
The inverted springer on the chop I am building- 34"
So that makes it 10" or 12" "over stock".

If you are trying to figure out what size front end to get for your frame, it would be best to start with a rear wheel, then block the frame up level and go from there. Hope that helps, good luck with your build!
Old 11-25-2012, 08:49 PM   #21 (permalink)
IronButt

Stayed pretty busy during the Thanksgiving holiday but managed to spend a little time messing with the chop project. Nothing exciting but managed to get a couple of brackets done. Being a single downtube frame, it does not have a regulator mount welded in between the lower legs. And, because the motor and drive train is offset to the left to accommodate the 250 tire, a conventional under-the-motor- mount, right-angle bracket wouldnít clear the frame. So I made one up out of 2Ē angle steel, with the mounting holes for the regulator offset to the side:

With the regulator mounted:

And, attached to the frame. Picture angle makes it look off-center, but the regulator is actually centered in the frame.

This is a fuse block I am using for this build. No, I am not advertising it but it is a pretty nice little compact fuse box:

I want to mount it here, above the oil tank and forward of the battery so I drilled a couple of holes in the seat gusset:

I made a template from a piece of hardboard- took two tries so I used the other side of the hardboard. After fitting it up, I made the real one out of a piece of aluminum plate:

Cut a couple of standoffs from a piece of steel tube stock:

Heres a shot of how it mounts under the seat gusset. The socket head bolts are for mockup only, I will pick up a couple of button heads for the final assembly.

After getting it fitted up, I drilled and tapped the aluminum plate and attached the fuse box with 8-32 button head screws:

Looks like it will work out ok, fortunately most of these brackets I have been making will be hidden. I will clean them both up and eventually get them powder-coated along with the frame.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:22 PM   #22 (permalink)
IronButt

Early December Update

I needed a place to mount a few electric components and wanted to be able to get to them when necessary. In addition to the fuse box I needed to bring 3 other items on board. From left to right- a solid state flasher (for the LED turn signals), a terminal block (to make connections), and a 30 amp breaker (to supply main power to the ignition switch on its way to the fuse box).

I already fabbed up the mount for the fuse block assembly (see this thread, a post or two up), and today I cut-n-drilled-n-tapped some more scrap aluminum:

Attached the components and mounted the assembly to the frame.

This is a shot from under the seat, with the oil tank removed so I could make sure everything clears the seat. Itís not the best pic but there is plenty of clearance, think it will be OK.

I ordered a belt last week from MOCO, itís a 1-inch 133t belt for a late model softail. The rear pulley is a 65t aftermarket unit.

It lined up nicely, and seems to track true. Looks like I will need a 3/8Ē pulley spacer to push the belt outboard.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:50 PM   #23 (permalink)
IronButt

Well I got the mockup pretty much complete. I am setting it up with two seats- originally I was thinking one for around town and one for taking trips. But then I was informed you canít take long trips on a chopper, so the first one is for around town and the second is for posingÖ.

I took 29 parts to the powdercoat shop, hereís pics of a few of the parts-
The frame:

The swingarm:

The main front end assembly is the same gray as the frame and swingarm. This last picture is of the fender struts and miscellaneous front end parts:

Tank and rear fender need to be painted but it looks like I am cleared to start assembling this project. I will add more pics as I progress.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:07 PM   #24 (permalink)
IronButt

gretsch58 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcr913 View Post
Gretch58- I took a look at your Frisco build, NICE work. Lots of details, all of which are noteworthy... but man I am liking those ole style white coke-bottle handgrips.
BTW, I used to play a Gretch back when I was gigging. We did a lot of classic rock, country, and some 50's. Switched to a bigsby-equipped Telecaster for the country but I loved that Gretch for everything else.
Hey thanks! I wish I had the tools to do more fab work and welding, but I did the best I could do with what little I have. Those white coke bottles are cool, but get dirty quick.

You not playing anymore? I've got 2 Gretsches left. a 58 6120, and a 1960 Anniversary Model. Both cool guitars.

"Why behave in public when you're living on a play ground" DLR
gretsch58 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 10:19 PM   #25 (permalink)
IronButt

Well I started assembly today. Didnít get too far butÖ
Cleaned the powdercoat off the rear engine mounting boss. Taped it off, then got after it with a utility knife and an assortment of files. It was slow going, the powder coat was thick and tough. Should provide a good ground for the engine.

Got the transmission set in place, itís ready to torque down later. Cant tell in the pic but I did remember to take the powdercoat down to bare frame at the transmission mounting points- planning to add a neutral light and it will need a ground.

Then installed the frame bumpers, shocks, swingarm, and belt.

Probably won't get much done over the next couple of days. Wednesday morning I am taking the sheet metal to a painter. I have plenty to keep me busy while the skins get painted. Hope to get the engine, primary drive and front end installed this week. Hopefully it will all go together without too much trouble.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:28 PM   #26 (permalink)
IronButt

Gretsch (remembered the S this time...)- Naw, I don't play out anymore. Still mess around a bit, sold most of my gear except a couple of acoustics and a home-built electric. I miss them days sometimes...
Old 12-24-2012, 07:32 PM   #27 (permalink)

tc96evo wants to know Dino or Syn?
You were informed that you canít take long trips on a chopper? Who informed you of this fact?
tc96evo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 10:21 AM   #28 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc96evo View Post
You were informed that you canít take long trips on a chopper? Who informed you of this fact?
Good question! Everyone now and then I have heard a comment regarding choppers, that they are only good for posing and bar blasting. My comment was actually a joke- I plan on taking this bike anywhere I want, same as any other bike.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:22 AM   #29 (permalink)

scudda wants to know Dino or Syn?
This is a great thread! good luck on the build!!
scudda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 10:26 PM   #30 (permalink)
IronButt

Got a little more done over the last couple of days. Engine installation went pretty well, got the transmission shimmed and lined up.

Bolted the motor plate in, then installed the primary drive.

Had to shim the front pulley out around .180Ē, used a couple of stator shims. Also got the clutch in.

Here's a shot of the primary drive with the pulley covers and belt nose guard in place.

Installed the starter and oil tank as well.

Couple more pictures of the progress so far:

Last thing that happened today was the voltage regulator:

I still have a ways to go, but itís a startÖ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.