Won't start in cold : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Choppers and Customs General Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2009, 07:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

JJBlue wants to know Dino or Syn?
Won't start in cold

Greetings All, first let me apopligize if I am posting in the wrong thread. I'm late for work and the bike won't start. Going crazy here! I'm new to this site and just purchased my first custom. (AIH LSC 2005) I had a yamaha vstar for many years and moved up.

The problem is this. The bike is a week old. I live in military housing with no garage. It's 25 degrees here and the bike wont start AGAIN! Is there anything I can do to make starting easier in cold temps? I had it on the battery tender all night and I hit the compression thingys a hundered times.

I'm new at this so don't beat me up too bad. Thanks in advance! I'm a FNG!!

Last edited by JJBlue; 03-03-2009 at 07:12 AM.
JJBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2009, 07:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

JJBlue wants to know Dino or Syn?
Come on, anybody have any ideas???
JJBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 02:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

Raywood wants to know Dino or Syn?
What do you mean by bike won't start?

Is it turning over?
Is it getting fuel?
Do you have spark?

Are you flooding it out with the "enrichener"?

If it's just cold and is not turning over then what condition is your battery in?
You need 12.8 volts to start that motor.
How old is the battery?
Are all the terminal connections tight? I tighten/check mine weekly as they work loose pretty quick.

Give us some more info and we can help you out better.
Later,
Ray
Old 03-08-2009, 09:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

bwana01 wants to know Dino or Syn?
25 degrees is going to thicken all fluids which increases drag on stqrter. Even with a good battery it may not turn over enough to start. You might try a light bulb behind the rear cylinder and wrap the tank, engine, tranny with a blanket to keep the heat in. If you can get the bottem end of the engine up to 50 degrees it will make a difference
bwana01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 05:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

bourg chopper wants to know Dino or Syn?
Definatly need to have recommended oil for that kind of temp. maybe hd 240?
bourg chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

chopit wants to know Dino or Syn?
Ok, an old trick when I had to kick start a HD in cold weather, last resort. pull the plugs and heat them up with a lighter (or put them in an oven would probably work) get them back in the engine as fast as possible and kick or in your case hit the starter.
chopit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 01:05 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

Locodave wants to know Dino or Syn?
Hi, A thought. Drop a tarp over it. Weight down the edges. Put a drop light with a 100 watt bulb under the tarp over night. Or use a cheap electric blanket under the tarp draped over the bike. Use a lighter weight oil.
Thing is, once you get where your going. You want to get back home. ( I owned a diesel years ago with a block heater. Nice starting once you were home, plugged in. Get where your going. Cools off & you know the un-plugged block heater, rest of the story. Lol. )
Might do an extention cord with the tarp & blanket-light, roaled up to take with you. Dave

Last edited by Locodave; 12-19-2009 at 01:22 AM.
Locodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 02:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

akajjmon wants to know Dino or Syn?
25 degrees??
put a good coat of wax on the bike, cover it up with a light weight tarp, put a big honkin lock on it, make friends with someone who has a car and works the same shift you do, wait for spring

ok so I'm a poo butt! my nerts shrink if I say 25 degrees out loud
akajjmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

wydopn231 wants to know Dino or Syn?
the light under some sort of cover is best thing I colud have come up and so have few others here.you can always use shot of started fluid but constant use would be best thing for motor.100 watt bulb against block with timmer set for 2 hours before ready to go.Timmers only 15 bucks home depot and will save bunch on power bill.
wydopn231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:57 PM   #10 (permalink)

Choppperguy wants to know Dino or Syn?
Along with the lighter oil, you may want to invest in one of those battery jump start boxes that can jump start a car. This would help.

Just a thought
Choppperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:37 PM   #11 (permalink)

Chiefmick wants to know Dino or Syn?
lighter oil and park it in the living room.
Chiefmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
merry old soul

Road King Cole is reading this now saying WTF is this? Road King Cole is reading this now saying WTF is this?
if we assume that engine is not turning over well, and if that is the original battery, it is probably the battery (even if it was on the tender all night).

I know mine is not the same bike, but it cranks over just fine when its 25 degrees. I have a good battery (odessy) and run 20-50 synthetic.

rkc
Old 01-16-2012, 10:02 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

UnSafe wants to know Dino or Syn?
The fix is to identify the problem and fix it. Resort to heating/ wrapping, changing oil viscosity, whatever only if you've confirmed that everything is in good working order.

Pull the battery, charge it and have it load tested. Replace if bad. Test the charging system, test for slow drains (Like mine). Test the fuel system- Carb or EFI? What do the plugs look like after a failed starting attempt? You mentioned that pressing the compression releases didn't help...? Didn't help it to turn over, or it turned over and didn't hit enough to come to life?

Add the details, wait for responses and spend the time it takes to figure it out, and you'll get it fixed right... Right in time to freeze your huevos

25 deg feels cold, but it's really not that cold as far as a gas engine is concerned.
UnSafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:58 AM   #14 (permalink)
merry old soul

Road King Cole is reading this now saying WTF is this? Road King Cole is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I hope he finally got it started and made it to work!!!

(just noticed that this is from 2009,,yes I had responded last December too without noticing it)

rkc
Old 01-19-2012, 07:56 PM   #15 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

124" Evo wants to know Dino or Syn?
Hard Starting

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJBlue View Post
Greetings All, first let me apopligize if I am posting in the wrong thread. I'm late for work and the bike won't start. Going crazy here! I'm new to this site and just purchased my first custom. (AIH LSC 2005) I had a yamaha vstar for many years and moved up.

The problem is this. The bike is a week old. I live in military housing with no garage. It's 25 degrees here and the bike wont start AGAIN! Is there anything I can do to make starting easier in cold temps? I had it on the battery tender all night and I hit the compression thingys a hundered times.

I'm new at this so don't beat me up too bad. Thanks in advance! I'm a FNG!!

First let me say a battery tender will not do SH_T in that type of cold temp. You can pull the plugs and turn over the starter to get the crankshaft and oil moving freely for 10 sec. If it has to be out in the cold, you need a cover to block wind chill and a car charger with engine start mode. Let it charge for at least 30 minutes under 10 amp mode, flip over to engine start 50 amp mode which will give you about 14.6volts continuous, and press the start button. Once it fires, pull the charger off immediately.

I have to do this every winter, even though my bike is inside, it just is a much bigger motor at 124" with 655 lift cam and modified heads, so it turns over hard even when it is warm.

By the way, get an AGM Big Crank ETX20L, 310CCA 18ahr or a Deka ETX20L, both are the twin brother to the Harley OEM 65989-97b/c, and all three are made by East Penn MFG out of PA. They are just labeled differently and the posts are slightly recessed vs flush mount on the battery made for Harley, but at 85 bucks(no tax free shipping) vs HD dealer 129.99(140tax), who cares about the posts being slightly recessed and the adapter fittings are only needed for side mount. Same quality for 55 bucks less.

BTW, I confirmed this with East Penn Tech Support ( 610-682-6361, call yourself) and was told they are not supposed to disclose that, but yes it is the same OEM battery that they make for Harley.

http://www.batterymart.com/p-Big-Cra...L-Battery.html

http://www.batteryservice.com/produc...lNumber=ETX20L

If you have a bagger, the Big Crank ETX30L is the same as Harley's OEM 66010-97A,B also made by East Penn Mfg. for 98 bucks free shipping fed ex ground.

http://www.batterymart.com/p-Big-Cra...L-Battery.html
124" Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement