V-Twin Forum banner

Many Gas Stations are over 10% Ethanol

5K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  fuel-testers 
#1 ·
If an Ethanol thread hasn't been started already. We need to start one here.

In Virginia many gas stations are selling fuel with more than 10% ethanol. The law states "no more than 10%", however, the almighty federal subsidy has created a greedy monster in the form of a Tax Credit. ie: tax credit for selling ethanol.
farm subsidy?

Companies are adding more ethanol to the fuel.
http://www.wavy.com/dpp/mobile/local_wavy_bad_gas_claims_20090619

Read some of the comments.

I am wondering how widespread this is, (country wide) and am urging everyone to to an occasional test.

I have ordered a test kit from http://www.fueltestkit.com/

You can also test your fuel by using a 100 ml graduated cylinder for free. Fill 90ml with the fuel you want to test.
Add 10ml of water. 90ml+10ml=100ml.

Put your thumb over the top and shake it up. Wait 15 or so minutes for it to settle, and read the line. Water is heavier than fuel and will combine with the ethanol and sink to the bottom. If your waterline is at the 20ml level, then your fuel is a 10% ethanol fuel. 20-10=10 (the 10% water we added). If it is higher, well, then you know that gas station is selling higher than 10% ethanol.

There have been some stations caught selling 50% ethanol fuels in the Richmond and Hampton Roads area of Virginia. A 50% ethanol fuel would put the waterline at 60ml.

You can buy these graduated 100ml cylinders on ebay for 10 to 15 bucks.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hmmmm, wonder if that's what been giving me troubles with my bike since going to New Hampshire??? It seems to be giving the same symptoms that the article mentions.
Oh well, just re-installed the gas tank after removing it and checking the fuel filter, fuel pickup hose, etc.
I hope that was the problem.

#3 ·
Here's a comment from a few hours ago

Yesterday our mechanic informed us that we have bad gas and that the ethanol level is 61%. We were shocked because the only indication was the engine light had come on. We were told to bring in the credit card charge slip and that the gas supplier would pay for the repairs. The tank of gas we purchased on June 7 was from the Fast Food Mart on Indian River Road in Chesapeake, VA.

#5 · (Edited)
I don't know yet. The Agriculture Dept is keeping it hushed. They won't give out the names of the stations. I may try and get the names through the Freedom of Info act.

This is BS. These stations/companies NEED to be exposed.

I am semi retired, and have plenty of time to ride around and collect samples, and I will expose them if I have to.

I'm just wondering how wide spread this is. I would imagine fuel companies in the rest of the country receive the same tax credits. I can't wait to get my testing supplies. I may even take a video camera with Me, record this and post this crap all over Youtube.

#6 ·
WOW... I'd like to say I'm suprised that people are cheating other people like this - but I'm not. Thanks for posting the simple way to test the ethanol content of the gas, I'll have to give it a shot.

Around here the biggest problem is lack of high octane gas - you do good for find 91 sometimes, much less 93.

#7 ·
Greetings,
Thanks for bringing this up.
I went to my favorite station yesterday to fill up and it said "now contains 10% ethanol" so I moved on to another station.
Just what percentage ethanol can an air cooled HD stand?
Will the seals, seats, diaphram and other rubber parts inside the carb live in ethanol?

Thanks again for bringing this up!

#8 ·
The Moco says 10% is ok. I keep a couple of jars in the tour pak. It seems that the last Ag Dept. testing sweep got the stations to stop adding the extra ethanol.

I just tested some 89 octane when I filled up a can for my lawnmower. It tested at 11% ethanol. Valero station Quinton VA.

#9 ·
Once you hit 15% and up, the narrow band sensors on a stock harley cannot adjust correctly. Even the map will need to be richened to eliminate a lean condition that follows an increase of ethenol. More ethenol requires more fuel to maintain the correct afrs. As ethenol amounts in crease and they will, some form of fuel managment will be needed to get around the stock harley setups or they will be unridable. Love to see how the dealers will solve this?:redrolf:The people with fuel managment can just adjust as needed.
Ron

#10 ·
Same issues here in Pennsylvania. Have gone to keeping a spare carb in my saddle bag coz te ethenol gunks up so quick Ive become a master at changing my CV carb on the road side. Every time it gets gunked up, real poor performance and stuttering during acceleration and every time I take the carb apart there is this strange yellow sludge every where in my bowl, float, jets, needle ect. Clean it out and runs great. Had a mechanic and a couple pro dirt bike riders here tell me the ethanol breaks down in the tank and mucks every thing up. They recommend a good fuel conditioner specifically for ethanol.

#13 ·
The problem is an overproduction of Bio-fuel, so prices went down, fuel-manufacturers were tempted to raise the amount from 10% to a much higher %.
In Brazil they have a rice-bike running on pure bio-fuel and that is the shape of things to come. Actuel engines run on E-10 but they do not like a higher content than 10%: - starting problems at lower F°,
- corrosive on exhausts.- hard on lubrication.
Long gone the time that tetra-ethyl-lead boosted octan, banned because poisonous and ruining the catalysators.
Remember also that bio-fuel doesn't like the winter-stop; it "shifts", absorbs humidity, that means after the winter break you will have to start on H²O... blame it to the GREEN POLITICIANS !

#15 · (Edited)
Petition against ethanol in conventional gas-"Fuel Choice"

Hello- Thanks for the email reminder today to visit the board again -So nice & friendly:) Subjecj headline: "fuel-testers! We miss you!"

I hope everyone here is doing well and all have a very Happy Holiday Season!

I'm hopeful that in 2012 ethanol will be reigned back a little -
As more and more become aware of the problems E10 and E15 can cause they are speaking out LOUDER to reclaim their choice to buy ethanol-free E0...
If you have not already done so, please sign our petition - I'll probably keep it on our site for a couple months more..maybe forever, until we get E0 offered at all public gas stations.
Ethanol-Free Fuel Choice Petition:
http://www.fueltestkit.com/fuel_choice_petition_2011.html

Over-blending E10 far above 10% maximum is prevalent everywhere (We have been receiving reports for about 5 years -Send to e10reporting@yahoo.com) - I probably will add a reporting form to our site soon, b/c since all areas have switched to E10, the reports of contaminated E10 has risen too.

VEETC, the ethanol tax credit that encourages blending in more ethanol is set-to expire 12/31/11 - (Has paid-out over 25 BILLION during past 5 years, to ethanol blenders and oil companies)-This will help alot. I'll keep you posted, sign-up for our eNews (Fuel Testers Company Newsletter) if you are interested in ethanol laws, politics, and just about everything to do with ethanol in gas.

IMO, motorcycle owners should always choose ethanol-free when available - An occasional tank of E10 will keep engine clean, and small amounts of ethanol useful to replace antifreeze products (if needed) -but the lower BTU energy and water absorption issues causes many bike owners a lot of inconvenience and problems...

We've added some sites to our resource page for help finding ethanol free pure gas staion locations:
http://www.fueltestkit.com/find_ethanol_free_gasoline.html
(Pure-gas.org seems to be the most popular site right now - Sam Hokin started his site in 2009 - He's not in the gas/ethanol industry but is a really good guy dedicated to educating and advocating for others regarding E10 - BuyRealGas.com has been around for 2-3 years too).

All stations posted by public can be unreliable, so always test gas to confirm it actually is alcohol-free.
(1 drop Quik-Check Indicator Solution will instantly confirm no alcohol - complete kit also has fuel-tester that shows percent ethanol). I expect most here already own a fuel test kit, but if you don't have one yet and want to get one we're offering some good coupons right now -for free shipping (saves $7.00) -enter at checkout: FreeShip11

Hoping 2012 will be a peaceful, positive and productive year for us all.
Gail

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.