How is the Buell? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Buell Family General Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 04:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

gijack22 wants to know Dino or Syn?
How is the Buell?

I'm real curious about the Buells, I've always liked how they look just never met any one that had one and never rode. Just want to know if it would be worth looking into
gijack22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 05:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

Nitram_b4 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
If you find a 1125R you can give it to me
Nitram_b4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 07:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Blackened wants to know Dino or Syn?
Had a '00 X1, sold it to my brother in law, still trying to get it back. Fun bike.

'03 FXSTB - SOLD (GBNF)

'94 FXR

'14 Street Glide Special
Blackened is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 03:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

ultraplusrotax wants to know Dino or Syn?
I liked the XB. So when then 1125 came around I ordered one, but they kept postponing the delivery ! My dealer agreed to cancel the order and I ordered the Sportster XR 1200, which delivery was postponed several times... I got the first one delivered in 2008. Very glad with it, and glad I didn't get the Rotax 1125 altough my nickname here refers to that period.
ultraplusrotax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 08:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

tmd11111 wants to know Dino or Syn?
They were just getting it right when they came out with the 1125 Rotax powered motor and thats about when the MoCo shut them down to survive the recession.
tmd11111 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 09:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

Nitram_b4 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
the 1125R is a badass bike
Nitram_b4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 08:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

ReconLdr wants to know Dino or Syn?
I love all bikes but Buell is what I ride. I had a 2000 M2 Cyclone and now ride a 2003 XB9 Lightning. Neither bike will set a land speed record without a **** ton of work. But, both bikes were close to 100hp from the factory and more than 100lbs less than a Sportster.

IMHO, they are the ultimate Hooligan bikes. They handle as good or better than the imports and rumble like a Harley. This suits my riding style perfectly.

I've never been on an 1125 but have been smoked by one.

If you decide to get a Buell be prepared to be shunned by both HD and import riders...

Note: The 2007 - 2008 Buell 1125s have stator problems. If you are looking at one of these bikes, be sure to order a 2009 stator to go with it.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

smitty901 wants to know Dino or Syn?
They rock if you want that type bike. Sad thing was just no market.
HD at first released Buell to make special racing bikes only , they latter said he could build and sell bikes he is still doing so on his own. in Wisconsin.
I had hoped he would make the mark need to jump sales with the 1125R I rode one it was amazing.The last ones dealer had in crates sold pretty low but were grabbed up quick.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty901 View Post
They rock if you want that type bike. Sad thing was just no market.
HD at first released Buell to make special racing bikes only , they latter said he could build and sell bikes he is still doing so on his own. in Wisconsin.
I had hoped he would make the mark need to jump sales with the 1125R I rode one it was amazing.The last ones dealer had in crates sold pretty low but were grabbed up quick.
The biggest issue IMHO is HD marketed them all wrong.... They thought people would buy them and eventually "trade up" to a HD. I also think the Buell is everything the Sportster "should have been". Hell, if HD would've just let Buell build motors, the Sportster would've been more "Sporty".

If HD would have marketed Buell as an "American Sportbike" instead of a "Poor mans Harley".... things might have been very different than they are today.

If HD would've let Buell use something other than the HD motor (which he wanted to switch to liquid cooled in 2003) they could have made better use of the tech Buell developed. Not that there is anything wrong with the air cooled HD engine.... It's just that the limits of performance vs longevity vs EPA regulations were reached in 2004.

EBR has (reportedly) 3 new bikes coming out in 2013. Rumor has it they will have the same 1190cc Vtwin as the 1190RS. (175 hp / 92 # tq and a total weight less than 400 pounds) While the 1190RS is a full on race bike/riding position... The new models Rx (Race Replica), Sx (Sport Bike), and Ax (Adventure Bike).
Old 12-01-2012, 11:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

Greg MacD wants to know Dino or Syn?
The buell ulysses has a good reputation among the adventure riding folks, great bikes and reasonable cost wise to buy too. A nice 2006 should set you back around $4500.

If you are worried about the reputation among other riders.....then the ADV world is probably not for you, however if you just like to ride and have a thing for big ugly bikes, welcome to the club (I ride a modified DR-Z along with my H-D).

2003 Ford SD 7.3L Diesel
Greg MacD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 12:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
Outsider

Half_crazy wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
How is the Buell?
Delicious!
bodies, RPW Thor pipe, Lloydz ECU, PC-III, Rivera Pro clutch spring, 31 tooth pulley w/Buell belt
Half_crazy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 03:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

ThunderBueller is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReconLdr View Post
The biggest issue IMHO is HD marketed them all wrong.... They thought people would buy them and eventually "trade up" to a HD. I also think the Buell is everything the Sportster "should have been". Hell, if HD would've just let Buell build motors, the Sportster would've been more "Sporty".

If HD would have marketed Buell as an "American Sportbike" instead of a "Poor mans Harley".... things might have been very different than they are today.

If HD would've let Buell use something other than the HD motor (which he wanted to switch to liquid cooled in 2003) they could have made better use of the tech Buell developed. Not that there is anything wrong with the air cooled HD engine.... It's just that the limits of performance vs longevity vs EPA regulations were reached in 2004.

EBR has (reportedly) 3 new bikes coming out in 2013. Rumor has it they will have the same 1190cc Vtwin as the 1190RS. (175 hp / 92 # tq and a total weight less than 400 pounds) While the 1190RS is a full on race bike/riding position... The new models Rx (Race Replica), Sx (Sport Bike), and Ax (Adventure Bike).
I don't know where you came up with "poor mans Harley" but Buell very clearly marketed themselves as THE American Sportbike.

2002 Buell S3T Thunderbolt--Sold but miss it.
2003 XL1200C--Sold
2005 FXSTB--Sold. Gonna miss it!
2010 FLTRX--Love it!!

ThunderBueller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 07:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

tmd11111 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderBueller View Post
I don't know where you came up with "poor mans Harley" but Buell very clearly marketed themselves as THE American Sportbike.
And cost more then a sportster as well.
tmd11111 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 11:06 PM   #14 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderBueller View Post
I've heard the "poor mans Harley" bullshit from quite a few ass clowns over the years.... The first of many was an employee of Crossroads HD/Buell in Coopersburg Pa. He was also the same guy who told me:

1) he didn't want my business
2) I should order the rest of my parts elsewhere
3) Buell was the biggest mistake HD ever made

What Buell wanted and how things happened at the dealerships were two totally different things. I've personally only had 1 bad experience with one dealership but, have heard of much worse from other Buell owners.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:18 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

01fxdx wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Half_crazy View Post
Delicious!
If you are referring to eating them at the strip, I have Et slips on my stock 1125cr that compare to your numbers and another 10 mph.

As for that bike, I love it!! It's the funnest 6k I've ever spent. This is the wrong forum for good info tho. Check badweb.
super "D"
loud d&d

2006 fltr
95" all secondhand parts

2009 1125cr. rolling grins.
01fxdx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.