V-Twin Forum banner

Tell me about the vests or jackets H.O.G. members wear

59K views 53 replies 33 participants last post by  Colt.45 
#1 ·
Come on people. I'm serious about this. I've seen long time H.O.G. chapter members wearing vests or jackets with all kinds of patches and pins on them. Tell me about them.

How does a new chapter member set up his patch/pin vest or jacket. Can anybody post some pictures of their vests/jackets? Would love to see how you place the different patches and pins. How do you attach them? Looks to me like if you tried sewing them onto leather it would ruin the leather. Am I wrong in thinking this? ...or maybe you use some kind of fabric glue to apply them? Another thing I'd like to ask is if it's alright to put other non H.O.G. related patches mixed in with the H.O.G. stuff. I mean things like "Save The Whale," or such. You get the idea. If a person put other patches on his chapter vest that had nothing to do with chapter stuff or motorcycles would the other members object. For example, say if you're a peacenik, would it be all right for you to have a patch on your chapter vest announcing "End The War Now"?

This post will probably languish in this seldom used forum for weeks before anybody answers but I hope not. Please everyone, tell me about your chapter vest (and include a pic if you can.)

#2 ·
hey zartoff,

Well, I am a HOG member and go to meetings and rides occasionally but don't live and breathe it like some and don't have all the patches and pins, etc., but I can tell you what I have seen.

There are all sorts of variations. Some keep it pretty HOGish while others put whatever they want along with the HOG stuff. They do seem to have a pattern as to how they arrange their yearly patches, but I haven't looked close enough to be of any help. Mostly I didn't want you to lanquish here.

I thought the same thing about ruining the leather, but it doesn't... even thought about the glue. Usually the HOG chapter has someone who sews patches on the side. A real nice gal sewed an emblem on my jacket. It looks great. I was worried that the edges would curl up since it wasn't embroidered directly on the jacket originally, but I don't think you could tell the difference... nice and flat. Your dealer will know someone or a local tailor that does it.

Basically the vest is a vehicle to express yourself as far as I can tell, but I'll tell you one thing... I don't think I would be sporting anything that might be construed as anti-American, or anti-Troops to my chapter meetings and your "End The War Now" qualifies in that category IMHO. Do what you want and what makes you feel comfortable. I guarantee the members will let you know if you have made them feel uncomfortable.

Hope this helps.

#3 ·
8-Ball said:
Basically the vest is a vehicle to express yourself as far as I can tell, but I'll tell you one thing... I don't think I would be sporting anything that might be construed as anti-American, or anti-Troops to my chapter meetings and your "End The War Now" qualifies in that category IMHO.
Hey thanks for the quick reply. Yes, I think you're right. The chapter "vest" should probably be limited to H.O.G. stuff and leave the possibly inflamatory stuff off.

#4 ·
zartoff said:
Come on people. I'm serious about this. I've seen long time H.O.G. chapter members wearing vests or jackets with all kinds of patches and pins on them. Tell me about them.

How does a new chapter member set up his patch/pin vest or jacket. Can anybody post some pictures of their vests/jackets? Would love to see how you place the different patches and pins. How do you attach them? Looks to me like if you tried sewing them onto leather it would ruin the leather. Am I wrong in thinking this? ...or maybe you use some kind of fabric glue to apply them? Another thing I'd like to ask is if it's alright to put other non H.O.G. related patches mixed in with the H.O.G. stuff. I mean things like "Save The Whale," or such. You get the idea. If a person put other patches on his chapter vest that had nothing to do with chapter stuff or motorcycles would the other members object. For example, say if you're a peacenik, would it be all right for you to have a patch on your chapter vest announcing "End The War Now"?

This post will probably languish in this seldom used forum for weeks before anybody answers but I hope not. Please everyone, tell me about your chapter vest (and include a pic if you can.)
I don't know anything about HOG Chapters. But I have seen setups at swap meets, bikes shows, etc. Where they will sew a patch on your jacket for about five bucks. Takes a heavy duty sewing machine, they are experts and will put it on in a couple minutes.

#6 ·
I was thinking about a rainbow flanked by a p.e.t.a. patch both arranged above a "Impeach Bush" patch. with a embrordered picture of Cindy Sheehan as a shoulder patch. :cheers: That would really make a statement:wootdnc:

#7 ·
Jonas said:
I don't know anything about HOG Chapters. But I have seen setups at swap meets, bikes shows, etc. Where they will sew a patch on your jacket for about five bucks. Takes a heavy duty sewing machine, they are experts and will put it on in a couple minutes.

The guys that really know what they are doing ,, will use a glue then sew the patch on with a walking foot industrial machine .....It makes for a real nice job..... rat

#36 ·
Just be sure the person doing the sewing doesn't sew your pocket shut if you're putting something on the front. I've seen this happen several times especially at swap meets or toy runs where the person has 500 patches to sew on. It always seems to be the small model patches (electra glide, dyna, etc) at the bottom of the front of the jacket.

#8 ·
Zartoff, I am also wondering how to place the HOG patches. I'm glad you asked the question, it's been an interesting thread so far. I have ten years of patches and pins, and wasn't sure how to arrange them on my vest. I hope someone posts pics for us. I've been out of the riding scene for a few years, so I don't remember what the vests looked like.

Tara

G
#9 · (Edited)
The only thing that seems at all standardized is the placement of the large HOG patch on the upper back, with the chapter rocker above that. The annual patches I've seen in all sorts of configurations. Since I have a jacket, rather than a vest, I ran mine down the sleeve (next year I'll have to start the other sleeve).

Harris

#11 ·
As for putting on the patches some shoe repair shops will sew your patches on. Around here its a set amount like 5 bucks for the first one and if several are put on, it comes out to less than that. And the guy seems to know where they belong, at least according to what the local chapter/ clubs want.
Harris what is the patch on your lower back, can't see it all.

G
#12 ·
It's one of those outlines of the lower 48, then as you ride in a state you fill it in.

Ditto on the shoe repair shops, or the vendors at rallies. They usually have what they call a "shoepatch" sewing machine, which allows them to get into sleeves, and to sew any direction.

Harris

#13 ·
I have my HOG pin on top and the rocker pins by year going down underneath
same with mu HOG mileage pins. On the other side I put all the Rally pins . Out back there is the Big chapter/HOG patch and the mileage patch going down the sides in order . To each there own

#14 ·
A picture would be very informative.

nidan said:
I have my HOG pin on top and the rocker pins by year going down underneath
same with mu HOG mileage pins. On the other side I put all the Rally pins . Out back there is the Big chapter/HOG patch and the mileage patch going down the sides in order . To each there own

#15 ·
Harris, thank you much for posting pics of your jacket. It looks great and it gives me an idea of how to set one up. Thanks again!

Harris said:
The only thing that seems at all standardized is the placement of the large HOG patch on the upper back, with the chapter rocker above that. The annual patches I've seen in all sorts of configurations. Since I have a jacket, rather than a vest, I ran mine down the sleeve (next year I'll have to start the ther sleeve).

Harris

#17 ·
claydbal said:
anti war symbols and something as american as harley just dont mix.
So to be a Harley motorcyclist you have to be a right-winger? To oppose the war is every American's right and anyone who speaks out against the Bush/Cheney fiasco that is the Iraq Occupation is just as American and just as patriotic as the warmongers. I hate the war. It's totally senseless and totally unecessary. Billions and billions of dollars wasted and thousands of lives lost. All so that religious right wing wacko George Bush can play the war president.

Sorry. This reply probably should have been posted in the political forum. It'll probably kill the chapter vest thread which was important to me. -2$en#e-

claydbal said:
unless you are onew of the people her that like to lure us in for the kill!
Not sure what you're getting at here. Kind of hard to read.

#18 ·
I'm not a chapter member because I live right in the middle of three different chapters. I haven't had the time to go on open rides with all three yet. I want to do that a couple times each chapter and see how that goes. Right now, my wife and I ride by ourselves and prefer that. Groupes don't do it for us. Yet.

That said, IF I was part of that scene I would likely have a vest just for that. Then I would have a jean jacket and set it up how ever I wanted. I would likely have the things I chose on the torso of the jacket and I doubt I would have anything on the sleeves (haven't been a fan of that look). That way I could wear the vest over a tee shirt. If I got chilled I would take off the vest, wear the jacket and put the vest on. If I wasn't around the HOG group I most likely wouldn't ever wear the vest. Kind of like being a Boy Scout. Did you ever wear that get up when not doing Scout stuff? Same deal to me. If you're part of the herd dress like the herd.

G
#19 ·
I only have riding relating stuff on my jacket. But I've seen all sorts of statements of vaious beliefs. I've never seen this be the source of any problems. I'd say any patch or pin is a potential start to a conversation. If your jacket invites conversation on controversial topics, you may find that to be the type of conversation you have a lot of.

Harris

#20 · (Edited)
zartoff said:
So to be a Harley motorcyclist you have to be a right-winger? To oppose the war is every American's right and anyone who speaks out against the Bush/Cheney fiasco that is the Iraq Occupation is just as American and just as patriotic as the warmongers. I hate the war. It's totally senseless and totally unecessary. Billions and billions of dollars wasted and thousands of lives lost. All so that religious right wing wacko George Bush can play the war president.

Sorry. This reply probably should have been posted in the political forum. It'll probably kill the chapter vest thread which was important to me. -2$en#e-

Not sure what you're getting at here. Kind of hard to read.

As for the anti war thing on your vest ,,,,, be reminded that the majority of people riding harleys today were of draft age during vietnam. That war took 58 american lives ....you will find that most people of that age group, have either served in the miitary or got drafted or drew out of vietnam though the lotto...... That was along time ago .... they are out riding for fun. The vets are proud of their service ,,as they should be ,Many display this pride on thier vests.....,i would guess the majority of riders are sick of re fighting vietnam and honor those who served.

We have a volunteer military now.....even the war protestors of the 60s ....support the young people who are in the military today ..... If you wanna ride with war protestors ,, get yourself a dilly cycle and start riding with the young kids ,,, they are the ones who are into this anti bush , anti war thing and are willing to go vocal on it .....The rest of us old guys are just trying to ride and have fun. If you didnt get to live the 60s in real time ,,,, a harley group isnt the place to pretend...pretty well all of us have been there done that. This post isnt a political thing ,, its just the reality of the situation.... rat

#21 ·
ratt said:
As for the anti war thing on your vest ,,,,, be reminded that the majority of people riding harleys today were of draft age during vietnam. That war took 58 american lives ....
We know you meant 58,000+ American lives.

{salute(

#23 ·
ratt said:
As for the anti war thing on your vest ,,,,, be reminded that the majority of people riding harleys today were of draft age during vietnam. That war took 58,000 american lives ....you will find that most people of that age group, have either served in the miitary or got drafted or drew out of vietnam though the lotto...... That was along time ago .... they are out riding for fun. The vets are proud of their service ,,as they should be ,Many display this pride on thier vests.....,i would guess the majority of riders are sick of re fighting vietnam and honor those who served.
Thanks Rat. I was trying to figure out how I was going to respond to his diatribe. He has his rights though. Given to him by those of us who wore or are now wearing the uniform. Hope he remembers that.
We were proud to serve then and we are proud to do whatever we can for those who serve now. I'd say let him wear whatever his little heart desires on his vest, then let the cards fall where they may( . He's a big boy....I'm guessing.

Cruizer{salute(

#24 · (Edited)
DynaCruizer said:
Thanks Rat. I was trying to figure out how I was going to respond to his diatribe. He has his rights though. Given to him by those of us who wore or are now wearing the uniform. Hope he remembers that.
We were proud to serve then and we are proud to do whatever we can for those who serve now. I'd say let him wear whatever his little heart desires on his vest, then let the cards fall where they may( . He's a big boy....I'm guessing.

Cruizer{salute(

Not a problem ,,,,just to set the record straight. I was a guy who sat 1A for the draft and went off to school and passed up the deferment. I drew a number 40 more than they drafted my lotto year. Its the only lottery i ever won.... I support our troops today just as i did back then ,,,

I have been called a chicken hawk on multiple occasions by young guys who hate our president......i have only one reply ,,,, where were you in 1970 when we had a draft ..... Dyna cruizer, i thank you for your service...... enough of this ,, lets all ride safe ..... rat

#25 · (Edited)
Zartoff is a VIETNAM WAR ERA VET too.

Sheesh! I replied to this thread with a pretty long post and when I got ready to submit it the forum asked me again for my login and password. When I did that the forum told me the thread I was replying to didn't exist any more. It also threw all that I had typed into the bit bucket. Okay, so I'm again trying to post and trying to remember what I said before but this time I'm going to type it into NotePad then cut and paste it into the forum. :rolleyes:

ratt said:
be reminded that the majority of people riding harleys today were of draft age during vietnam. That war took 58 american lives ....you will find that most people of that age group, have either served in the miitary or got drafted or drew out of vietnam though the lotto......
rat, thank you for this post. I appreciate and respect your opinion. But not everybody who lived the sixties are today's gung-ho war supporters.

I was born ten (10) months after the attack on Pearl Harbor. If one were to click on my profile, they'd see my photo and also my age. I'm probably older than you :unsure: but that's neither here nor there. In 1964, I applied at my local NAS in Dallas for navigator training. I passed all written tests and the flight surgeon spent the better part of a day trying to get my eyesight to pass requirements but was unsucessful. I really wanted to be a Naval aviator. Oh well.

A year later, my wife and I, who were childless, decided to split the sheets. We both agreed to end the marriage and my draft board got notified very quick. At that time the draft wasn't taking married guys however, they did take them later into the war. The draft board notified me to take the pre-induction physical and I passed it. The doctors there told us that the draft was needing only infantrymen at that time. A co-worker told me about a local Air National Guard squadron that was taking recruits with our (his and mine) skills and training (electronics and electrical power). I interviewed with the Squadron Commander, took and passed their exams and was sworn in as A3C with a AFS of 30430, Radio Relay Equipment Repairman.

When I got home that day after enlisting, my official "GREETINGS" letter was in my mailbox ordering me to report for active duty. I called the board and told them I had already enlisted and the board member said in that case, they'd just have to go down the list and grab the next one.

I served six (6) years in the Texas Air National Guard, the same unit and at the same time as President GW Bush. I never ran into the president during those years and, unlike the President, I fulfilled my obligation in the Guard and never missed a drill. Our unit was advised every drill to keep our affairs in order and to be prepared to go active at any time but we were never activated. At the end of my enlistment I held the rank of SSgt, pay grade E5, with an AFS of 30450. My Air Force Serial Number is AF25990402. This was *before* they started using SSN's as the serial number.

ratt said:
We have a volunteer military now.....even the war protestors of the 60s ....support the young people who are in the military today ..... If you wanna ride with war protestors ,, get yourself a dilly cycle and start riding with the young kids ,,, they are the ones who are into this anti bush , anti war thing and are willing to go vocal on it .....The rest of us old guys are just trying to ride and have fun. If you didnt get to live the 60s in real time ,,,, a harley group isnt the place to pretend...pretty well all of us have been there done that. This post isnt a political thing ,, its just the reality of the situation.... rat
I did live the sixties. I have been there, done that. I saw President Kennedy in his Dallas motorcade 15 minutes before he was assasinated. I remember Kent State tragedy. I saw Jack Ruby kill Lee Oswald LIVE ON TELEVISION.

Those who served in the military during 'Nam were mostly drafted. They didn't "choose" to serve; they were ordered to serve. I think the troops of VietNam should have had all the public "Support the Troops" backing moreso than today's military. Why? Because today's is composed entirely of volunteers. The troops of today CHOSE of their own free will to fight in Bush's trumped-up war. It was their decision to be Bush's invaders and they should have been aware of the consequences of volunteering. Very different than 'Nam.

I don't think a responsible citizen can just go willy-nilly with a leader who got into office through the courts and has to support his lies and motives. Think what better use the country could have had with the wasted resources spent on Iraq. The absolute best way to support today's troops is to bring them home.

I wish I had an emoticon for it but can't find it so I'll just close with...
P E A C E {salute(

G
#26 ·
Guys,

My own opinions on these matters not withstanding, I'd like to ask all of you take the discussion of political opinions to the proper thread (religion and politics). This thread should be left to the original topic, or allowed to dwindle (I think the original question has been answered, although I would suggest others could post photos of jackets and vests for ideas).

I would prefer not to close a thread in this forum, so I'm asking for everyone's cooperation. I promise there is room in the R&P section for all of this discussion.

Thanks,

Harris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.