V-Twin Forum banner

Smallest profile, lightest weight DOT helmet?

82K views 35 replies 24 participants last post by  Ludikrous 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm looking to buy the absolute smallest profile, lightest DOT legal helmet I can find. I'm trying to find one that weighs less than 2 lbs, hopefully closer to 1 1/2 lbs. I thought the NexL was supposed to be the smallest profile, lightest DOT helmet on the market. The only problem with them, besides being pretty expensive, is that you can't find them anywhere. I talked to a guy from a local shop on the phone the other day and he said he has them on order for over 6 months and they still haven't come in yet. I've searched online and have found a couple of helmets that seem to be exactly what I’m looking for. The only thing is I don’t know anything about these helmets and have never seen them in person. It’s impossible to get a real idea of exactly how large and heavy they are without trying them on in person. The helmets I’m talking about are the DOT 200 (non-vented model) and the DOT 800 Light Eagle listed on the www.helmetcityinternational.com website. The DOT shorty Eagle 100 and the Vega DOT Approved XTS listed on the www.helmetsetc.com website. The Bikers Choice Skid Lid and the EX DOT model helmet on the www.helmetsrus.com website. They claim that this EX DOT helmet weighs only 1.8 lbs or 30 oz, which if true, is extremely light for a DOT legal helmet.

Does anyone here currently own any of these helmets? Anyone here ever try on or use any of these helmets? Any idea if the weights given for some of these helmets are accurate? Any feedback or help you can give me would be much appreciated, thanks.

NYD

See less See more
#2 ·
I recently bought a Fulmer Hombre which is very light, lighter than my Vega and far lighter than my HJC. Fulmer does not allow Internet sales, but my local Suzuki dealer had them in stock. Also, NEXL helmets were not on the DOT list of approved helmets the last time I looked, even though NEXL says thay are. An email inquiry went unanswered.

#3 ·
I agree with Marshrat about the Fulmer but if you go to the NHTSA website, NEXL and NXT are DOT approved. The 05 model NXT failed FY04 testing standards for performance but if you read the top of the test sheet it says to keep using the helmet unless the manufacturer tells you to stop, meaning that NXT assumes liability if their helmet does not meet standards. Keep in mind that DOT is a manufacturer rating, saying they complied with FMVSS 218 and not an actual DOT rating, they only test a few helmets each year. Food for thought, if I had a choice I'd go with the Fulmer, NEXL aren't as thin as they claim and fairly uncomfortable IMHO.

#4 ·
NexL are very light but not particularly comfortable. My wife and I both use one. We both think the fit could be much better and I've taken to adjusting the foam in mine with a hammer.
For what it's worth - a friend of ours wanted one and never could get one. We found out that NexL had some problem with the quick release buckle and never heard whether they got it resolved.

#7 ·
I bought the NexL 1/2 helmet several months ago, and am happy with it.
They are as advertised, the liner is exactly as they say, so far as thickness.
I haven't had a problem with the buckle at all, it is lightweight, and comfortable. If they say it's DOT, I have a tendency to believe them.
Price was reasonable compared to the ACC helmet. The gal at NexL...Gabby, was very nice and helpful. Of course not all people can wear certain helmets, I was lucky in that they didn't squeeze my head with the big forceps when I was born, so I don't have an oddball head...can't say much for the rest of me though. I also have the HD Spoiler 1/2 helmet, and eventhough it's big, it's pretty comfortable.

#8 ·
David III said:
There's www.carbonfiberhelmets.com -- I saw some of their helmets at Black Hills HD, but haven't run into them again to check out further.

I just bought one of these. I love the kevlar look and it fits more like a skid lid and not a mushroom top. At higher speeds the wind doesn't try to rip your head off and there's the added benefit of being a DOT helmet. To me it was a nice compromise between wearing a lid and not (keep the OL happy).

It is pricey compared to novelty lids but if I didn't get any production from it I just wouldn't wear one.

Budking:ymca:

#9 ·
yeah, that's the link .. carbon fiber helmets .. HD-LUX gave it a review in the user review forum .. NY Deuce, ya may wanna check it out, the gf's is the smallest they make and it came with 3 headband-type inserts of various thickness, her opinion is in line with BUDKING's .. nice looking helmet

#10 ·
:thanks: Guys,

Thanks for the replies, the first hand info on the NexL helmets and the link for the carbon fiber helmets. The carbon fiber helmets look like what I’m looking for but damn, $175 - $195 each!!!

I will have to really think it over for a while before spending that kind of money for the helmet. Hopefully I will be able to find a cheaper alternative. If none of the other helmets I’m interested in turn out to be what I’m looking for I may just have to bite the bullet and spend the money for the NexL or carbon fiber helmet.

NYD

#11 ·
I have the Vega XTS and like it. It is fairly small, comfortable and has venting which I like. Keep in mind if you are getting a DOT helmet just to be legal, that is one thing.
If you are getting DOT for protection (imagine that) then I would be leary of the super thin helmets. They may pass DOT prescribed tests, but who knows how much shock is transferred to a real noggin.:wacko:

#19 ·
Yo Duece,
If you want that helmet you might as well just get a novelty and put a DOT sticker on it if your worried about the law. The helmet your describing cant be that more protective than a novelty one. But hey, thats just my opinion, I hope you find the one your lookin for.
Good Luck,

Walt

#21 ·
roadfish said:
I have the Vega XTS and like it. It is fairly small, comfortable and has venting which I like. Keep in mind if you are getting a DOT helmet just to be legal, that is one thing.
If you are getting DOT for protection (imagine that) then I would be leary of the super thin helmets. They may pass DOT prescribed tests, but who knows how much shock is transferred to a real noggin.:wacko:

roadfish,

I'm just looking to be legal, barely legal. I just want a very small profile, very light DOT helmet that I can tolerate on long trips that won't be too heavy, catch a lot of wind and strain my neck muscles. Thanks for the feedback on the Vega XTS helmet.

#22 ·
Big Walt said:
Yo Duece,
If you want that helmet you might as well just get a novelty and put a DOT sticker on it if your worried about the law. The helmet your describing cant be that more protective than a novelty one. But hey, thats just my opinion, I hope you find the one your lookin for.
Good Luck,

Walt
Walt,

I would just slap a DOT sticker on a novelty helmet if I thought I could get away with it. The local cops around here are guilty of "profiling" and harassing motorcyclists and they have been setting up illegal motorcycle only checkpoints that stop every bike on the road so they can inspect every inch of the bike and rider, check all equipment, paper work, etc and write all the tickets they can. They even hang out just up the road from the local cruise spots just waiting for the bikes to ride in or out of the parking lot so they can stop and ticket the riders. :mad:

#23 ·
NY Deuce said:
won't be too heavy, catch a lot of wind and strain my neck muscles.
I hear ya. The Vega is great behind a windshield but will still catch a lot of wind without it. I see why guys ride with the novelty style helmets (or no helmet) with no windshield. Even the Vega is too much strain in the wind.

I always wear a helmet (but don't have to in TX) but I like to ride without the windshield sometimes. I might go the same route for those times. Let us know what you get.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.