V-Twin Forum banner

Oil Leak

4K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  newultraclassic 
#1 ·
Oil Leaking around rubber connector plug on block where voltage regulator connects. Motor is a 98 Evo. Any quick fixes? :confused:

#2 ·
ldfranko said:
Oil Leaking around rubber connector plug on block where voltage regulator connects. Motor is a 98 Evo. Any quick fixes? :confused:
Franko...I see no one is answering your question.....I do believe its because there is no quick fix that would look good. Harley had an issue with oil "WICKING" between the wire and insulator...when this happened it filled the connector block up with oil. The stator has to be replaced to do it correctly, but if you want a quick fix you can put a small ty-wrap around the wire, pull it VERY tight and this will stop the wicking into the box. Do this to both wires.
What happened in this issue was the oil effected the rubber insulation on the wires in the primary. The rubber expanded due to the oil and oil got between the rubber and the wire.....it worked it's way all the way to the connector.
I do believe your dealer's service dept should have a service bulliten on this issue. I know I saw one and signed it in 2000 when I worked at the dealership.
Good Luck

#3 ·
Yeah,I got the same leak. It does kinda suck but I don't plan to do anything about it till winter. Do you have that wire retainer to hold the connector on? You could try to tighten it down some more. I was thinking that if you degrease that area real good you could possible spread a small bead of RTV silicon sealent around it. I think there is a retainer that can be replaced inside primary cover. That job can wait till it's too cold to ride.

#4 ·
The wicking oil not only looks bad, but also means the oil has gotten into the insulation. The stator will fail do to this aventually and probably when you least want it to.

The factory recommends the installation of a new stator with a modernized wire insulation compound and that the wires leaving the stator are tied up towards the top of the primary and not left sagging or free wheeling it with a quality tie wrap, within the inside of the primary.

#5 ·
Not sure where the issue of wicking oil is getting into the insulation came from. This is merely a problem of oil leaking out of the primary case around the rubber connector plug for the regulator. Maybe I don't understand what they are talking about. The area in question has to be sprayed with oil constantly.

#6 ·
slickone said:
Not sure where the issue of wicking oil is getting into the insulation came from. This is merely a problem of oil leaking out of the primary case around the rubber connector plug for the regulator. Maybe I don't understand what they are talking about. The area in question has to be sprayed with oil constantly.
Sorry Slick I thought we were talking about the new alt connection not the old plug at the primary....I guess I read into the thread.

#9 ·
These can be fixed but you will have to remove the outer primary, chains, clutch and stator so you can get inside. When you get there, remove the connector, clean it with something like lacquer thinner or acetone so as to remove the grease and oil.

When reinstalling the rubber connector into the hole, use some clear silicone as a lubricant and then pack some more silocone around the connector where it goes through the crankcase. Let it set overnight and then re-install. It worked for me.

Also, if your stator looks a little bad, this is as good a time as any to replace it. Most of them are 33 amp and the unit, with rotor, stator and regulator will set you back a couple hundred or so. The only bigger unit is the one for the Ultra that's about 45 amps.

I had a leak like this a few years back on my Shovelhead and I used the opportunity to change the stock 22 amp job to a 33. At the same time, I used silicone to seal the new connector.

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.