V-Twin Forum banner

Best bike for a beginner please?

136K views 278 replies 94 participants last post by  jim2008 
#1 ·
Hi,
I am a total beginner but at the age of 45 have decided that the call of a harley is to good to turn down. I live on the beach in florida and want to use a harley for cruising the beach roads on 50 mile journeys.
I went to my local dealer who was extremely helpful.
I liked both the sportster and softail.(but i guess the softail may be just a bit to big for me to start with).

Would those machines be suitable and should I go for a new model or for a 2000 or 2001 used model. I guess i will do 1000 miles per year. Id like to take my wife on occasional rides but not long trips.

thanks

#2 ·
Hey Novice welcome to the forum, great to have you my first recomendation is to take a MSF course, then look at the bike that fits you and the lady. if cost is not a big factor the Harley world is open to wide choice of machines. the Sportster is a great bike and many, many riders started there. take your time and start on the right foot.

#3 ·
If what you say is true, (total beginner as in never on a bike) consider something less than a Harley. Buy an old junker to learn on. If you wreck it, you haven't lost much. After you become familiar with riding and after the MSF course, the sky is the limit. Harley's are heavy and expensive. While learning, stay away from heavy traffic. I agree with Sammy, the Sportster is a great bike but two up riding leaves something to be desired. The Dyna family would be an option if cost is a factor. Good luck.

#273 ·
I am 67 years old, and I have told numerous people this same thing. A cheap, small, Japanese cruiser is the best thing to learn on, you can usually get most of your money back, and if not, send it to the junk yard and buy your Harley. Always use both brakes when learning, and never ever let someone push you in to riding over your head. I have seen a lot of new riders wreck, trying to keep up with experience riders.....

#4 ·
A Sportster is OK, some feel it's a little top heavy, it does have a higher center of gravity than the bigger bikes. Great to ride a couple of years and then move up. They are not as good long distance bikes, even though some folks ride them long distances. Honestly, you won't know until you ride one a while what your (or your wife's) tolerance for vibration will be on extended rides...but they are a blast to bomb around on and short trips like you are talking about. NOT AS PASSENGER FRIENDLY as the Big Twins, that's for sure. Buy what you can afford and feel comfortable with, you can always move up to a bigger bike.

#5 ·
Take the MSF course. While there, talk to the instructors.

Then buy a beater. Save the HD for some other day.

#6 ·
thanks for all the advice.
I have contacted my local Motorcycle education centre and will book up the beginners course MRC .
It is most definately my first venture into biking I cant wait. I will buy my harley straight after my lessons after completing the course.
I really appreciate your views and will do a lot more research.
thanks

#7 ·
welcome to the forum... my thoughts on your question based on my experiences in the past is this... I bought a suzuki dr250 a fews years back which is a fairly small bike... and I had more problems with that bike, as far a keeping it up right,, "I couldn't touch the ground very well, and trail ridings tough ,when you can't put your feet down" than I did riding my little bro's Road king, so to me it's not about this size , it's about what you feel comfortable with, I'm getting a 03 heritage softail classic in November, and to me that's a hell of alot more bike than the suzuki... but I feel comfortable with my choice... and it took me almost a year to decide on the heritage

#8 ·
thanks harleygirl64,
I am hoping that after my 20 hours of lessons and satisfactory "passing" of the MRC in florida I may be in a position to have a little idea of what i should go with. (At the moment i just about know which way round to sit on the bike !! haha).
Im hoping as a few others have suggested that my instructor will be approachable and will advise but I absolutly love the look of the harleys.
Hopefully i can get one.

#9 ·
hey Novice ,one of the reasons I choose the Heritage Softail Classic,is cause it's like 2 bikes in1 , leave it with the bags and windshield , or remove it all, and a totally different look...... plus the seat feels good on my ass! and I'm sure your wife will love it too!

#10 ·
First time you break a $100 turn signal you will be pissed you bought an HD as a first bike.

#11 ·
Whoa Novice,

I'd recommend taking the MSF course first and that will give you a much better perspective on what type and size bike you should start out on. I would recommend a less expensive new metric or a used cruiser as a beginner bike. I'd ride that for at least a year until you feel really comfortable then consider moving to a Harley (especially a brand new one). Most new riders drop the bike at least once and I'd hate to drop a brand new Harley.

As for riding with passengers, you really need some experience riding solo before you start riding two up. It adds additional weight and changes the handling of the bike.

I'd recommend buying the Harley as the second bike.

Ride safe.:)

#12 ·
Novice, there is some good advice on this thread. MSF is a must! If you've never been on a bike, a Harley probably isn't the best choice as a first bike.(I didn't follow my advice when I got my 2002 Road King,but have been riding since I was six) A sportster would probably be a good to start out with, considering it's size. However, your wife probably won't like touring with you. Don't rush into it. Look around and ask questions(this place is a good start) But, if you must have a Harley to start, go to a dealership and rent one. If ya drop it, insurance will pay!:D Good luck and keep us informed. J.T.

#13 ·
Novice,
I did exactly what fearnot69 suggests. I rented 4 different types of H-Ds - the Ultra Classic, Fatboy, Road King, and V-Rod. You can tell pretty quickly which bike suits you. I didn't find weight to be as important as style. For instance the Fat Boy and the Classic aren't that different in weight but the Classice felt like a tank because it's too cumbersome for the type of riding I do (around town cruising). I've been riding many years and went with the V-Rod and love it (for me).
Lastly, don't get put off buying a Harley as your first bike. You'll never be able to re-sell anything else and nothing makes you feel as good as riding a Harley.

#15 ·
Thanks to you all for so many great replies and good advice.
I have phoned the florida rider training programme that offers the motorcycle riders course (mrc), I assume thats the same as the MSF .
I am waiting for the course info, apparantly its pretty thorough and consists of 20 hours of lessons.
Once i have taken the course i will be in a much better position to decide on which bike, BUT, I cant stop looking at the harley brochure it looks so cool.
I will keep you all posted , im sure i will amuse you with my falling off the bike storys !!

#16 · (Edited)
I don't think you are going to be persuaded to do anything other than rush out and buy a Harley after the course is over so lets at least keep you from buying the wrong one.

What is your height and weight? And the wife? Are you the type who can head to a barbeque with just the stuff in his pockets or do you need all kinds of just-in-case stuff with you at all times? Do you want this to be a bike you keep for at least 5 years? Do you understand the basic differences between a sportster, a dyna, a softail and a touring bike?

While the MSF course is fairly thorough, you will be riding a 300 pound, 250cc bike in a circle at 35 MPH tops in a roped-off parking lot under strict supervision. A 700 pound, 1450cc bike on your own, at 55 MPH in traffic is a whole different story. I started riding when I was 16 and because I took about 10 years off in my 30's, I took the MSF course. It was very simple to me but to those never on a bike it was a challenge. The skills those people gained to pass the class are important, but in my observation....many were not ready for the open road.

#17 ·
The MSF will probably supply the bikes (at least they do here), so if you drop one of those it's no big deal. The bikes they use at my local MSF don't have any turn signals or mirrors cuz they get dropped so much.

The course is very thorough and worth the money!

The Advanced MSF course here allows you to use your own bike, and is also a whole weekend.

Keep us posted, would love to know which bike you decide on, especially if it's a ..ahem.. waterhog. :D

#18 · (Edited)
logical.

I am 5ft 8 i weigh 200 lbs (i guess im short for my weight !!!)
My wife is 5 ft 5 and weighs 110 lbs.

We will not need to carry much as we dont intend to tour around much. The idea is to just cruise along the beach road here in florida.

Do i know the differance between the bikes. Not at all.
I went to our local dealer yesterday and he attempted to show me a few models and explain the differances. I liked the look of them all of course, but felt that a sportster was good for us. (quite honestly i just about know which way round to sit on the bike, im pretty clueless but desperate to learn)>

jojitsu.

I will definately keep you posted and probably amused !
My intention is to try and complete the basic course, then buy a bike and then do the advanced course. Thay way i stand half a chance on the open road.:)

#19 ·
I think it's a good idea to take the course first and see how well you do with the smaller bikes. If you pass the course and feel it was a breeze you may want to check into maybe a Heritage or Low Rider, I think even though they out weight the Sportsters they are easier to ride, do to the lower center of gravity. On the other hand if you pass the course but barely feel comfy on the little bike you may want to check into a small metric for your first bike, nothing wrong with that, put a few thousand miles on the metric and then move up to the Harley. Good Luck and keep us informed!

#20 ·
I say take the class before you spend your money. Then you know alot more of what you are getting into. Besides chances are it save your ass more then once.

After you pass MSF i see nothing wrong with learning on a Harley. I learned on a Heritage, and never did drop it. I never did understand the point of learning to ride a little bike, then relearning to handle a 800 pound monster. One word of advice is parking lots and very slowing moving was the hardest for me. Buy a crash bar for the bike for atleast the first couple months. It can save the day and lots of $ if your drop the bike in a parking lot.

#21 ·
I was lucky. I bought the Fat Boy before I ever drove a bike and hopped straight from the 250 to it when I finished the course. It was really helpful to ride with my SO (an experienced rider) because I could follow him and copy what he was doing. I say I was lucky because I love the FB and wouldn't look back. It's not too much bike for me (I'm 5'6" and 160lbs - I'm buildt like a FB I guess!) and I love it! Just BE CAREFUL...the first time you roll on that throttle after switching to a bigger bike might be a surprise!

:D

#23 ·
You only live once, so go for it and buy the Harley...I had not been on a bike in 20 years and finally decided last year to go with a 2003 HD Road King,and I love it. If you go with anything smaller you will regret it. By the way, I am around the same height and weight as you and I fine the Road King very easy to ride...

#24 ·
Yea, F'n go for it. Do the course and choose what turns your crank. Get a brochure and check out saddle heights. As was stated, the sporties have a higher saddle height and a heigher center of gravity. The big twins are heavy, but with the lower center of gravity, they seem much lighter than what they are.(unless you try to pick it up) Best of luck and keep us posted. J.T.

#25 ·
Novice, Don't think about dropping your ride before you ever buy it. And as you will learn in your class, DON'T LOOK AT THE GROUND. You will end up where you are looking, so don't look at the ground unless you want to be there. And as others have said, try diff bikes, rent a couple or borrow one. But don't jump in and buy a sporty or what ever and be stuck with something you might find you really didn't want. When you first start (say for the first month) you might be a little sssshhhhaaaakkkkyyyyy but after that, like a rock and wanting more. Small bike are for around town. You want to make 50+ miles trips you will want comfort. BIG decision time. Good Luck O ya, don't forget to PRACTICE what you learn over and over again at all diff speeds. Don't wait until you need to make an emergency stop before trying it in a lot without the cages to run you over.

#26 ·
Damn

First things first.

LEARN TO RIDE THEN DECIDE.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,65431,00.html

The streets are full of morons these days. The highways in Houston I like to refer to as

Multi LAME Highways.

If you wanted my advice it is get a dirt bike first. Beat the hell out of it and THEN look at the street.

You are talking about an average of 2 miles a day. Considering that you are looking at 50 mile trips, that is 20 trips a year.

Buy a dirt bike. Once ya learn how to ride, rent a Harley a few times. Then you will know what ya want.

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.