V-Twin Forum banner

Sportster too quiet, what can I do?

50K views 73 replies 59 participants last post by  SSBN659 
#1 ·
I took a brand new 2011 Sportster Superlow 883 on a test run, but it's very quiet to what I have heard from other Harley's. Yet on their website they claim it has the classic HD "rumble" sound.

What are my options? Is there anything I can do to make it louder if I buy one? Apparently they have to quieten them down to be allowed to sell them.

#3 ·
FatTony2012, lots of stuff can be done to give you that rumble or make it louder. Search on this forum for pipes for your Sportie - you'll get some great ideas. Or even talk with your dealer. Did you get a Parts and Accessories Catalog? That's another great resource.

#10 ·
I have 2009 sportster 1200N. It sounded ok when I bough it but wanted somethig just a lttle louder. Just had V&H short shot staggers put on yesterday. Sounds awesome but maybe just a little too loud..not!! My husband thinks so tho. Was gonna go with the slip-ons but wanted something shorter but louder.

#12 ·
I told you those short pipes would be loud, that's why I recommended the longer V&H pipes. I'm sure you'll wish you listened to me when those pipes are roaring right next to your ear when you're out riding for a few hours straight.

#14 ·
Get a 2 foot piece of re-bar and sharpen it to a point on one end. Insert it into each muffler and wack it with a hammer until it "punches the baffle". Opens up the mufflers, gives you more sound, costs nothing. This will get you by while you are saving up for future mods.

Reactions: CoopDAWg
#17 ·
+1 on Cycle Shack! IMO best bang for the buck anywhere. $179 for the pair.

Or, if you really want the sound and that's the most important thing to you - pick up a set of straight pipes. A Sporty running straight pipes sounds downright bad-azz.

#18 ·
Go to Ebay and pick up a set of take off slipons. Then look up Big City Thunder and order there In head Pipe Baffles.

Remove stock mufflers, install BCT Baffles just inside the head pipe, install after market mufflers.

Start bike...not to your liking yet.....Remove after marker baffles and remove glass wrapping and reinstall....Want more sound...Remove aftermarket baffles all together.

BCT Baffles work at a way range and still maintain the correct back pressure for you bike.

Still want more sound...that is gonna cost ya dearly.

I have the BCT baffles, removed the Rush baffles all together. Combine the BCT baffles, 10.25 to one pistons, Ported polished heads with larger valves and 575 lift cams and I have the sound I wanted out of my SB.

My 98 883 was also converted to 1200, bunch off Buell, Scream Eagle and Thunderstorm parts pushing 80 plus HP. There I have a V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe and you can hear it coming too.

Karsten

Karsten

#19 · (Edited)

Here's what I did on my 1200R:
First I got a wooden dowel rod that fit nicely inside the stock mufflers.
I drilled a 3/8" hole right down the center of the dowel. Now
I used the dowel as a guide to center the hole I drilled in the baffle plate. It's about 11" in from the end of the pipe. Repeat on the other pipe. I used a telescoping magnetic wand to retrieve all the metal shavings.
I rode around for awhile, and decided it could be a little louder.
Next, I re-drilled the holes to 1/2", and rode it around for a long time like this. The drill bits I used are "very long"!
A few months ago, I decided I didn't like the looks of the stock (oval) air cleaner, so I installed a (round) Performance Machine Air Cleaner (uses a K & N filter). At the same time, I re-drilled the pipes once again to allow more air/exhaust flow, this time with a 3/4" bit. Now, I've got it exactly where I want it...not too loud, but rumbly for sure. I should mention, I really love the look of the stock staggered pipes, and didn't want to change them out. I personally don't like the looks of any of the Screaming Eagle add-ons.
The PM Air Cleaner did require a re-map of the ECM. For this, I got a HD Supertuner (list $400), took it to a dyno tuner ($100), and he ran it up to redline 6 times on his dyno, did his computer magic, and called it a job well done. Now it's at 74 hp/74 ft/lbs torque, and sounds right. Much more hot-roddish now as compared to stock.

#20 ·
I have a sporty 48 with stage 1 and V&H short shots on. Loud is an understatment but im half deaf allready from being in the military so im good with it. everyone else on the other hand. Like Karen said. they tell me to pull back a lot. but hey ive always lived by the creedo "loud pipes save Lives". You'll find whats right for ya. or you could just remove the baffle then lollipop'em.

#24 ·
In my humble opinion nothing sounds better than tapered duals.
But in this wonderful USA we all have a right to our own opinion.
My 05 XL883 sounds absoutely wonderful.
What sounds wrong with yours?

You can buy loud pipes from many suppliers.
Better yet punch your 883 to a 1200.
It will sound the same & perform better.
I can recommend it personally.

#26 ·
First thing, Sportsters are cool... I've been riding them since before they became "girls bikes". They were the original super bikes and it was hard to find a big twin that could run with even mildly rodded sportys, lot of them died trying... Speshly those old panheads... LOL

Second, aftermarket slip-ons by companies like Rush for instance are not too expensive, sound great, and you keep the balance tubed factory pipes. I prefer 2 into 1 performance pipes like the Pro Pipe, or SuperMeg but some prefer the two into two sound.

#29 ·
I like the sound of the stock exhaust on my 2006 XL883. I know I'm in the minority, but a Sportster doesn't have to be loud as hell to sound good. If you get something that's too loud, try taking a long trip on it sometime. I made the mistake of putting some Dunsatll exhaust on a 1976 Honda CB750K model (yeah-I'm old-bought that bike new in '76 at 22 years old). I took that thing touring and the noise really grated on me-even to the point of headaches.

So, at least do some research and try to listen to some exhaust slip ons and complete systems before you decide what to get.

Oh yeah--other than the sound, how do you like your Superlow??

jon

#74 · (Edited)
More info

I have a 2006 XL1200L, I just put on some new pipes I got off Ebay for >$140 I believe they are V-twins the part numbers are 30-0359/80424-04.
They were very loud when I put them on but after advice from my HD dealer I wrapped the baffles with a fiberglass baffle wrap from Vance/Heines which the dealer sold to me for about $8 (should have gotten 2 but made the 1 work). The sound is now great.

Original sound kept cars back about 4 car lengths at a stop light (not a bad thing), but I got a headache after about 45 minutes and I ride an hour and 15 to work.
The sound now is about 5-7 decibels less (about the same amount over stock) and is great. Loud but not overly so.

I hope that this will help anyone looking for information on exhausts.
Also I didn't change anything else (air or rejet) and I have a much better/smoother ride on the highway (70+ mph). I also managed to lift the front end off the ground from a stop sign (by accident for sure). I have over 75K on this bike which I bought with 9363 miles and never got the front end off the ground before on purpose or accidental. Great performance.

#35 ·
I shall probably get slated for posting this, but………………………………………why does anyone want loud pipes?
My first sporty had loud pipes, after riding for over an hour I had a headache. I couldn’t get it out of the garage early in the morning without pissing my neighbours off. When you’re riding you leave most of the sound behind you, which begs the question, who is the loud pipes for? You? or other people around you? Which says; “HEY”! Look at me.
To the forum mods…….. Ok, I accept my ban. :whistle:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.