V-Twin Forum banner

Is the Road King an old man's bike?

29K views 245 replies 133 participants last post by  speedfreak 
G
#1 ·
Or is it a transitional bike? Not for the young but not quite a geezer glide yet?

Is it a bike for the guy who is not ready to admit he's an old man?

What's your take?

BTW, I'm 50 and until recently, I rode RK's for the past 5 years.

#102 ·
RedBeard said:
First thing is to get your picture up on the web somewhere, like one of the picture hosting sites or small web page hosts. Then all you do is to click on the IMG box right above the reply screen, enter the full address to the picture (format will be something like http://www.picturesite.com/yourpics/pic1.jpg), then click OK. Done!
....R-Beard..sorry to bug yah... i have been f&rting around and can't seem to figure out how add the pictures ..(IMG box? ...i have some techno dweebs in my work place and they are lost too...so i cannot just go into my documents and add an attachment..i know how to add the thumbnail shots..its the full shots i can't get...if there is somewhere on the VTH that explains this appreciate if you can point the way...(ps i got some funny shite to add)

#103 ·
What do you define as "old"
90 - I recall recently seeing a pic of a 90 year old black guy on a RK or eglide.

My wife has a saying "Old age is a gift denied to many". So many of our riding brothers and sisters tragically die long before their time - as do other friends and family.

Of course growing old is not for wimps - but it beats the hell out of the alternative.

#104 ·
Well, sonoffatboy, I'm gettin' confused now. I was talking about how to make an image appear in a post by linking to one that has an internet address, in other words one that "lives" on the internet, not in your own computer.

But now, it looks like we can embed photos by using the "Attach Files" deal down in the "Additional Options" box. I assume the pics must be of a limited size, though. Anyone know how small they have to be?

#107 ·
Phil P. said:
The real deal is this: Road King is for 59 and younger. At 60 you may then graduate to a Road Glide and never look back. I hope this will serve to clear up the matter. Next question????? :p
Damn, I'm only 33 and almost bought a Road Glide, could'nt quite afford it right now with kids, so I settled on a Superglide.

A few years down the road and I will definitely be getting a bagger ;)

#116 ·
Same here George. I really liked the street glide. But I had three kids and just couldnt swing it. Looked for some time at super glides and wide glides.

working over time and determination, I bought an older evo model road king.

Almost exactly a street glide.

I went to an older bike, figuring I might only have the cash once and didn't want to buy something I would want to trade later. Being a mechanic of sorts myself, an older bike has suited me.

#108 ·
I traded my 96 RK when I bought my Wide Glide....I had a midlife crisis...went to Corbin while in Daytona to ask about a seat...the guy at the counter directed me to the Road King saddles without asking me what I rode...when I questioned him, he said that he was good at "putting people on their bike".

So...I got out of my geezer bike and into a FXDWG that is lighter, much faster, but less comfortable on trips.

#110 ·
Geezer bike

Ok you guys. When I first started riding in '68, the only bikes available were Sportsters and Electra glides. Nothing in between. Last year I decided to start riding again after a long absense and was told not to get a Sportster cause it was a "Chick" bike. So, I bought a FXDL Low Rider (which I dearly love) by the way. Now I have heard a few people say that the low rider is slowly becoming a "chick" bike. ( sighs in frustration). Now I am thinking about a Road King Custom and get online and find out you guys are calling it an "old geezer's bike" WTH? I wish yall would make up your minds. I just have to keep it in mind that its not what you ride that makes the person. It is how you feel when you ride that makes it all happen. Yall ride safe and let me know which bike will be known as a "gay" bike so that I wont want to buy one, lol. Ride safe. Wayne G. :cool:

#115 ·
Well, I am 35 and ride an older evo (97 model, because I could afford an older one) Road King.

Of course I got three brats, and an Ole Lady who has to take a 10lb purse everywhere.

And, running a 12 year old girl to her friends house for a slumber party always involves hauling alot of stuff.

So, I aint the young bachelor, but I aint a geezer, and I ride a Road King.

#117 ·
Old mans bike? Not likely. Some will argue, but my take is that the Roadking is everymans bike. Its undoubtedly the most versitile bike that HD makes. It's comfortable, handles well and great around town or for the long haul. The Roadking does it all.

#119 ·
My first bike was a 2005 RKC, Brilliant Silver Pearl, my age was 40. My second bike, (after nearly losing my life to an inattentive 19yr old female cage operator) is an '09
RKC, Pewter Pearl, age when purchased, 45. I don't know if this makes me old, or the bike a "Geezer Glide", but I do know that if I have to buy another bike it WILL be a RoadKing, IMHO best HD EVER!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.