V-Twin Forum banner

Badlands "Illuminator" vs Kuryakyn RTB Controller

4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  trooper113 
#1 ·
I continue to be a little worried about being seen from the back at night and I'm considering one of the "Run-Turn-Brake" Controller modules for my 03 E-Classic. The easier to install the better. It seems that both the Badlands and the Kuryakyn are "plug and go" type modules. Does anyone have experience with either of these? It appears that the Badlands Controller only requires one module where the Kuryakyn requires one controller for the tail light and one for the brake. Suggestions?

Kevin

#2 ·
I don't know anything about the Badlands model, but the K model is a one-part plug and play for brake, turn and running lights. My K controller works very well. It came with another part that plugs into the controller if you need it...a load controller if you run LED lights.

T113

#3 ·
I have the RTB controller and the whiskers license plate frame. They both take a load equalizer, just one for both. Easy install. My friends say it makes a huge differance in nighttime,and daytime visibility. Only one problem sofar. I shorted my rear turnsignals on the road once( my fault,bigger tire,bottemed out on a wire.). I was able to rewire in the module to get turn signals only. When I got home I got another RTB module, plugged it in and shorted it. Turns out the elec. control module burnt as well. A thorough elec. test would have saved me another 80.00. Live and learn.

#5 ·
Thanks!

To Fineswine, Shinbone & Trooper,

Thanks for your feedback. I ordered the Kuryakyn RTB after reading your endorsements and it arrived this afternoon. Plugged in in and it works great! I especially like the "pulsing brakelight" feature. I've checked the Texas law and it doesn't seem that I will have to replace the amber lenses with red ones as the law reads; "Red or Amber." Trooper, I'm glad you mentioned the load controller is if you use LEDs. For a minute I was trying to figure out if I needed it or not and then remembered your post. I don't want it to look like a rolling light show, but I don't mind being seen better at night either! :D

K

#7 ·
gliderman said:
Is the Kuryakyn RTB unit now coming with a "pulsing brake light feature"??
I had an older one that didn't do that. That's a nice plus to have. KB....
Gliderman,

Yes, it does. Flashes 3 times then come on steady. Pretty slick. By the way, saw you're from San Diego. I'm there on biz monthly, very nice town! I stopped by San Diego Leathers on my last trip and picked up a pair of pants. I'll bet riding is fun around there!

#8 ·
DeaconK said:
Gliderman,

Yes, it does. Flashes 3 times then come on steady. Pretty slick. By the way, saw you're from San Diego. I'm there on biz monthly, very nice town! I stopped by San Diego Leathers on my last trip and picked up a pair of pants. I'll bet riding is fun around there!
Mine doesn't pulse either.........wish it did.

T113

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.