V-Twin Forum banner

Starter not engaging

40K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  HDfatbagger 
#1 ·
I have a question about troubleshooting my starting system. When I engage the starter it doesn't turn the motor over. You can hear the starter turn over and occasionally it will turn the motor over and I need to know how to determine if it is the clutch in the starter drive gear or the solenoid.

#3 ·
Hey Clint,
If the starter motor makes a high pitched noise every time you hit the starter button and only occasionally actually turns the motor over, your problem is the starter jack shaft. The starter motor is getting the power from the battery and the motor is spinning, but the shaft that extends out from the starter and makes contact with the gear on your clutch is not engaging. There can be a couple causes for this, but I can't remember them all. Good news it will be a simple and inexpensive fix. A new starter jack shaft only runs about $130.00 I think. Check the large gear around the outside of your clutch assembly. If that gear is missing teeth that is the cause, I don't have any idea on a price for that. Hope that helps some.

#6 ·
I am going to assume your bike is about 87 or newer. What you are describing sound typically like a starter clutch problem, ie, you hit the button, you hear the starter motor going, but nothing happens. Occasionally the bike starts. When you hit the starter button, it sends 12 volts and about an amp or so to the 86 position on your starter relay. This with the help of the 85 ground pulls closed the connection to the 87 and 30 positions on the relay allowing from the iginition to flow to the 50 connector or your green wire on the starter soleniod, which basically closes your solenoid allowing the big amps to run straight from the battery to the starter motor. There is a little more to it than that but I am sure you get it. If it is the starter clutch you can check it many ways, one of the easiest to do a basic check is to put you hand on the primary and hit the starter button. You should feel an hear the jackshaft engaging, and hear the starter turning, but not the engine. You could also just pop the derby cover and look with a flashlight and have someone hit the stater button also. You will see it popping in and out. If it was the realay you would not hear anything or maybe a very slight click/tick. If its your solenoid it might click in and out, and or make a louder clicking sound. There are specific test as for coil hold/release , starter testing etc per the book, that with a few jumpers and some patience is really easy. But it sounds like a typical starter clutch. About 130 bucks, and remember, a big killer of starter clutches is low or bad batteries.

#7 ·
Thanks All for your input, it was in fact the starter drive gear clutch. The easiest way I found to check it was to remove the primary cover, the spark plug wires just in case it did engage and hit the starter button. you can watch the gear engage so you can tell the solenoid is working and if you look close you can see the jack shaft turn. You can then take hold of the starter gear and if it is bad you will be able to turn it both ways instead of just one like it is intended.

In order to repair it I had to remove the starter and take out the jack shaft so the gear would clear the gear on the clutch basket. You can also remove clutch and basket instead of the starter whichever you prefer. I had just replaced the stater and when I did I adjusted the clutc and had it just like I like it, so didn't want to mess with it. I purchased the new gear at an after market store here in Tulsa called Jacks. It ran me $30 and took about 3 hours to change which means it ook about 2 weeks with it being Christmas and all.

again Thanks for all the input!!

By the way does anyone know how to get rid of the fucking new guy sign under the names?

#10 ·
I have the same issue that just started today on mine.
2002 FXDX.
Starter spins like a mother^&*, engages occasionally but then disengages and spins like a drill.
If I tap tap tap the starter botton I could get it to engage afetr about 5 tries but it would release and not engage again.
Is the fix for this issue the same as described above???
Thanks in advance.

And Just to Clarify:
Hit starter and it spins:
Obtain view of jackshaft gear & See if Jackshaft engages clutch basket -->
---If YES starter clutch is shot.

Thanks in advance.

#11 ·
Hi everyone, not sure if im.posting in the right spot..72 flh, the starter isn't engaging fully under load. New bike to me so it's a learning curve.. replaced the starter and solenoid looked everything over. I can say when I remove the plugs everything works fine as intended. Battery on order, under load battery dips under 10amps. I'm hoping it's a weak battery but just looking for possible information in case I need to ho deeper. Ty in advance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.