V-Twin Forum banner

Sportster too quiet, what can I do?

50K views 73 replies 59 participants last post by  SSBN659 
#1 ·
I took a brand new 2011 Sportster Superlow 883 on a test run, but it's very quiet to what I have heard from other Harley's. Yet on their website they claim it has the classic HD "rumble" sound.

What are my options? Is there anything I can do to make it louder if I buy one? Apparently they have to quieten them down to be allowed to sell them.

#42 ·
FatTony2012 - louder pipes

FatTony2012 - I just bought a 2012 Sportster Custom 1200 and added a set of Rush slip-on baffles and they sound amazing....gives it that distinctive HD sound. While still a bit of money...they only cost $350 and that was to have them installed as well - you may be able to do this yourself to save money. I highly recommend my Rush slip-on baffles - you will not be disappointed.

#53 ·
I just got back from the shop where they installed V&H Staggered Short Shots, V & H FuelPak and the SE AC.

Noise (lack thereof) problem solved!!!

Runs great and sounds "like it should". I'm happy:)
So, how many miles have you put on it since the change? What has your longest trip been?
What I did, indtead of putting all of that money into those kinds of upgrades is....I put that money into the gas tank. The exhaust got loder and louder with the miles.

My bike has the "harley sound" and my bike is all stock.

#45 · (Edited)
Bikers have a bad enough image, making the bike loud just because...isint helping anything, there is no performance to be gained ( unless you also re jet or re program the FI and add an open air cleaner), no fuel economy increase either. I have aftermarket pipes on all my bikes, they are a little louder than the stock pipes, but well within any legal limits....well all except one.

#46 ·
Factory exhaust gets louder after you put some miles on them. I don;t know why but I noticed it, my wife noticed it and my neighbors noticed it.

You can always tell who doesn't ride long distances...they have LOUD exhaust. They think they ride long distance, but when you think about it 5 miles is a long way to ride with loud pipes!:hystria:

I find it funny when people say...If you really want that Harley sound, you have to buy (insert aftermarket name)slipons...yeah right. Harley is Harley without basani, V&H, and all of those other louder pipes.
Just ride the thing and the factory pipes get better with age and miles.

#55 ·
Obviously you're mistaken since I ride 60 miles a day back and forth to work plus even more in my free time with my loud pipes. As for the stock pipes ever sounding loud you're mistaken again. I have NEVER heard a Harley with stock pipes that sounded any good even with 100,000 miles on it. :hystria:

#48 ·
I watched e-bay for a couple of months until a couple of screaming eagle II slip ons (take offs from a wrecked bike couple scratches)went unnoticed by most bidders and snagged them for under $70.00. They came with a factory exhaust and heat shields which i turned around and sold on craigslist for $30.00.

#52 ·
2009 Sportster 1200C sounds better now ...

I just got back from the shop where they installed V&H Staggered Short Shots, V & H FuelPak and the SE AC.

Noise (lack thereof) problem solved!!!

Runs great and sounds "like it should". I'm happy:)

#59 ·
If you like the look and sound of a particular exhaust but its too loud, you can also check out a company called SmartPartz. They make Hard Kore Quiet Baffles for all sorts of exhaust systems. I run V&H Staggered Short Shots with the Hard Kore baffles and the pipes still growl but I am not upsetting any neighbors and can ride for hours!

#62 ·
Seriously, buy a hole saw slightly smaller than the exhaust outlet. The numbers are worn off mine but I think its 1 3/4". Drill thru the weld ring inside the outlet and pull the guts out.
My local HD shop did this for years for $20. You do need a good drill, preferable air-powered. The resulting sound is great. Not as loud as an aftermarket system, but throatier.

#69 ·
My wife rides a SuperLow and it sounds 'naf' with standard pipes. I am waiting for her to go for an out-of-town visit to take rebar to her exhaust :)

I ride a 48 with side-shots. She can never hear her bike driving behind me, which is a bit worrisome...

cyber7-out (aka Aubrey)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.