V-Twin Forum banner

Thunderheader

8K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Heathen68 
#1 ·
Hello Everybody,
Been shopping for a used Thunderheader for my 96 FXD and I'm still unclear about year model interchangeability. I think all the Dyna 5 speed units may be the same but use different mounting bits? I've been on the Thunderheader web site and read a bunch of old posts here, must be just getting to old to understand simple things. :( Anybody clear on what will bolt up to a 96 FXD? Any advice appreciated. Thanks, Bruce.

#3 ·
93horse, according to that website the 96 Dyna's need a 1022 header. The problem is that the guys that are selling a usd set on Craig's list or ebay don't post the part number, they just post something like "came off a 2002 wide glide". There's actually quite a few used ones out there, especially in California. I guess I'll just have to hold out for one that's off a 93 to 98 Dyna like the 1022 fits. Thanks for the reply, Bruce

#6 ·
Thanks for the replies guys, still researching this. It's starting to look like any 5 speed dyna chassis Thunder header will fit if you got the right mounting bits. Think I'm going to call their tech support people and see what they say. Some of the adds for used units are claiming that there's will fit any Dyna. Bruce

#7 ·
Well heck, looked on the Thunderheader website today to find a way to talk to their tech support people and came away pretty discouraged. It appears they only talk to dealers. So I bought a V & H Pro Pipe instead, a new one with heat shields for what I was willing to pay for a good used Thunderheader. My Indy runs a Pro Pipe and highly recommended it.

#9 ·
The oregnal pro pipe hs is a good pipe designed to make power. The pro pipe BP (Blue proof) is another story....

#10 ·
Header

I got the HS version, just picked it up yesterday, very pretty piece of hardware. I'm assuming HS in the part number means heat shields. Now I just need to get some shop time to work on my own stuff. I'm an auto mechanic and it seems everbody elses stuff gets priority. It will be months before the snow pack is off the roads up here so there's no hurry I guess. Bruce

#11 ·
Th

I see you found a pipe but I'm answering this for any others that may be considering a TH. All dyna TH 1993-2013 are the same except the switchback. The only difference 1993-1998 use one style bracket. 1999 up use a different bracket. 2006 up have O2 sensors. And to make it more confusing 1993-2013 will fit FXR's with mid mount pegs.

#12 ·
Thanks apbtlvr, that's exactly the info I was looking for. There's a LOT of Thunderheaders for sale used on Craigslist for anybody that's interested in picking one up. There's a heavy conentration of them out on the west coast. If you happen to have an iPAD the Craiglist app will let you search multiple cities at the same time, I suppose the iPhone app will too. Some are listed as Thunderheader and some are listed as Thunder Header, you won't show adds for both spellings with one search string, gotta do them both. Bruce

#13 ·
I always wanted to have a Thunderheader so I got one for 250 with a heat shield and a bracket but when I went to have it powdercoated with high temp he recommended that it needed to be repaired first, cos the lower pipe was scraped/dented to much.By the time I have it shipped I think I might still break even with the price of having bought a new one.Plus, I'll have a much better finish than a stock Thunderheader!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.