V-Twin Forum banner

cam cover

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  tussuck 
#1 ·
There is a bolt that is leaking. So I opened the cover and one of the bolt holes is split.

any none repairs

See less See more
#2 ·
Where and how thats cracked you might get someone to prep it with a die grinder and tig weld it right in the frame for you. If your gonna have a crack in the case any where all that one is most likey one of the most straight forward, least stressful fixes I would think...
Good luck with it.....

#3 ·
That's what I was thinking. It looks like that could be welded and re-tapped in the frame. Make sure you seal the case cavity best you can and flush the fluid quickly after it's put back together.

I bought a used sporty once that had a similar issue. The previous owner used JB Weld or something similar to make his repair. It was still holding when I sold it but I would have felt a whole lot better about the whole deal if it had been welded. I told the buyer about it so he wouldn't get the same surprise I did.

#5 ·
Agree....just get it TIG welded up. Or if your really really stuck then put a bolt in it and JB Weld it.

Note...I lost all three bottom bolts on my cover. The threads all stripped out over the years so I have run a timesert int met of them now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.