V-Twin Forum banner

cables

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  filterless 
#1 ·
hello would appreciate any info on cable lubrication. i have a 03 heritage softail, good bad or indifferent info is good.thanks. :confused:

#2 ·
If your talking about what to use on the cables, I use Dri Slide. I have a 67 FLH with a mousetrap clutch and it works great with the Dri Slide. I have 3 bottles for the bike and 3 bottles for my guns coming tomorrow. If you go to their website, DriSlideUSA.com it will tell you about their product.

#4 ·
Any good dirt bike shop will have cable lube and the little fitting you can spray it in with. The trick with the clutch cable though is actually getting the lube into the cable. Here's what I do:
I use a short piece of clear plastic hose that will just fit over the large eye of the cable. Then I slide a hose clamp down onto the clear hose and tighten it so that the hose seals to the end of the cable housing. Then I put some oil - the same oil that's in the tranny - in the clear hose and push it into the cable with an air gun at no more than 10-20 psi.
The only time consuming part is removing the cable from the clutch lever perch.

#5 ·
Isn't dry graphite a better cable lubricant?

#9 ·
more on that (son and i are working on his car tonite so i'm
in and out) but i use the spray can with the skinny little red straw.
pop the clutch cable off the handle and shoot her in, open the throttle
adjusters all the way off, shoot, reset.

pork roast in the crock pot tonight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.