V-Twin Forum banner

Trip advice from the California guys?

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  1bdBagr 
#1 ·
Wife and I are taking a 2-bike trip at the end of May from AZ to Angels Camp, Ca. I've never been that way and I'm using Mapquest to plan riding thru 29 Palms, Visalia and up. Plan to see Sequoia and Yosemite and then, for the return, take RT120 east across the mountains and then south on 395. Are these good roads or are any of them ripped up? Scenic? Anything I should look out for or not miss? You know, the kind of stuff you'd want to know. Both retired bums so not in a hurry - already set aside 2 weeks. Thanks, boys.

#2 ·
They talk about Deals Gap and the Dragon, wait until your on 120 awesome twisties and 395 as well. As far as the condition of those roads Im not sure, Im sure plenty of members from that area well chime in. I myself are planing a ride around the same time of the year across country good luck and safe riding.

#4 ·
120 Tioga pass?, may still be snowed in at that time of year. Make sure you get
a Golden age passport (60+) so you can go thru the parks for FREE. Also try hwy
108 and 4 for other scenic passes nearby. 395 is kind of boring, try going back thru Death valley hwy 190.

#5 ·
What he said....Tioga Pass and Yosemite is a spectacular ride, whether or not it's open depends on how the winter snowpack is. Sometimes it is open, and sometimes not at that time of year. I think you can leave Sequoia via Hwy 180 and head towards Fresno (i like that route) and catch hwy 41 and enter Yosemite that way. Or, go north on hwy 49 and head to Mariposa and come into Yosemite on the lower route next to the Merced River, as mentioned the Golden Age pass will get you in free to the National Parks. Great ride, you will love it. Stop in at Hutchins H-D in Yucca Valley, they had a lot of old cool stuff, like one of Evel Knievels XR-750s.
Tim

#6 ·
I'll write more later because I am about out the door to see the International Motorcycle Show in San Mateo today. But the route you plan is arguably one of the most scenic routes in North America and possibly the world. It is spectacular in so many ways. I've have been over those roads countless times and the beauty never ceases to amaze me. You are in for one hell of a ride.

#9 ·
Some great ideas, thanks. I already have one of those disabled vet national park passes and we are staying in a timeshare at Angels Camp. Riding to see Lake Tahoe is a good idea, too. I'll plot all the suggested roads on my map and see where they are.

#10 ·
Whatever else you do, DO NOT MISS YOSEMITE! Make sure on your ride that you take 120 across the high country of Yosemite and across Tioga Pass. The pass itself is nothing but between 10-30 miles west of the pass is the Yosemite High Country. Absolutely not to be missed. Stop at Olmstead Point and get one of the more spectacular views in North America.

And don't miss Yosemite Valley if you have never been there. Same for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks (Route 198). Ride slow and enjoy the beauty.

Once you are on the eastern side of the Sierra, go south along 395. What you will see and be following on your right is the eastern escarpment of the Sierra (don't say Sierras. Sierra means mountain range and in this case it is singular, one mountain range). The eastern escarpment of the Sierra rises out of the ground and immediately climbs 2,000 feet. So you have a wall of mountains on your right as your drive south along 395.

Weather is the tricky part for a few reasons. One is that the Tioga Road (120) has to be plowed of snow. Here are the opening and closing dates of Tioga Pass in past years.

http://www.monobasinresearch.org/data/tiogapass.htm

You can see that late May is iffy. If it is closed and you have to choose an alternate and have the time, go to Tahoe and then head south on 395 from there.

The other tricky weather related thing on your ride is possibly Death Valley. In late May it should still be cool enough to ride across Death Valley. By cool I mean temps no higher than say 100. But you should always check just in case there is an early heat wave in Death Valley. You get to Death Valley by heading south on 295 to Lone Pine and then going east on 136 and 190.

I'll think about this some more and see what else I can come up with.

#12 ·
Pass update
ALL the passes will be open by May11th 12th weekend. Most except through Yosemite are already open. Very light winter this year and not much snow pack. Good for riding, bad for water.
Enjoy!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.