V-Twin Forum banner

Neck bearing adjustment

21K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  RG50 
#1 ·
Anyone here adjust the steering neck bearings on a 2012 or recent FLTRX? I have done my 1k service with the exception of tightening the neck bearing. I have the service manuel and started to do this the other day just to get started and see where the manuel states you need to make a homemade tool to adjust the bearing (really?? homemade tool??). Then it shows where you need a special tool to align the ignition switch after removing it. Anyone done this that has any tips or tricks to make it a little easier?

#2 ·
You dont need any of that. Does make the job easier though.
The tool you have to make, i just use a long screw driver. I ground the tip a bit to make it work better, but not totally necessary.
As for the ignition tool, you dont need that at all. You can use a flat screw driver as well, but the proper tool make life really easy, and its good to have...

http://www.marcparnes.com/HarleyIgnitionSwitchTool.htm

or...

#3 ·
FYI, you don't need to go to the fork lock position to remove the switch. It can be done in the "ignition off" position also. This will allow you to swing the forks with out screwing around with special tools, screw drivers etc. If you don't move the switch internals it is much easier to reassemble.

#8 ·
Thank you for that. My 2012 manuel also says to lubricate at 1000 and adjust at 25000, but where it shows a picture of where the grease fitting is for the neck bearing, it also says how to check it. According to my 2012 service manuel for the FLTRX it says to lift the front of the bike off the ground and turn the handlebars all the way to one side and it should swing back a minimum of one swing to a maximum of two. Mine swings back and forth four times. It's loose. So you think I should go ahead and wait for 25000 anyway?

#11 ·
Actually my last question was a little cynical. I'll try greasing more. I pumped about ten pumps in it and didn't notice any difference, but I'll try until it comes out and see if that helps. That would be a lot less trouble if it does the trick. Thanks for the help.

#18 ·
And for the best on the planet...Lucas Red & Tacky #2...

#19 ·
I would grease the bearings first simply because the need it. It takes almost a full tube to fill the neck the first time it gets greased. I use the Harley stuff, it drips a bit when it's hot but not too bad. This is a high pressure area if you think about it. Mostly of the time you ride with the bars straight and then it's constant slight corrections. So the bearing work back and forth in one spot and I don't want to trust some other grease.

Then ride it a bit and I'm sure you will still need a bearing adjustment from what you're saying. Set it to what it says in the manual.

#20 ·
My 2010 RKC was loose when I bought it, the dealer had to adjust it at the 1000 and at about 2500, then they had it in for 5000 and it was loose again, later I was changing the oil and thought I would check it and the thing was loose again. I do have 18000 miles and it has stayed in adjustment. The manual states to lift the front end and the bike has to be level with the stock items as the factory sent it, the prosses is long the way the manual wants you to do it, first step grease it, you would have thought they did that at the factory, a spash is good for them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.