V-Twin Forum banner

Don't put that foot down, don't do it!

22K views 52 replies 43 participants last post by  slowspeeder 
#1 ·
I might have tried some rear brake and let the primary grind all the way through the turn. A better entry would have helped too. But in the end it might have been more speed than that bagger could handle in the turn.

#3 ·
Yes, exactly, along with poor line choice and a failure to plan far enough ahead.

#7 ·
And what's wrong with that? If that were me and my bike, I wouldn't want it other way! It is important to do an autopsy of a failure to learn from it, to understand why and to make adjustments to bike and/or riding style etc.
This was a particularly good example of leverage at work. When he was down hard enough on the hard part(s), it took more and more weight off of the rear tire and put it right onto the spark making parts.... Then u hear the motor rev as the back tire looses all the rest of the grip and spins and then the bike falls the rest of the way. Too much speed with too little clearance and probably not enough experience to save it when he still had the chance...
The foot dragging was a good way to break an ankle or worse, and I think he was lucky to get up and walk away without much worse damage to him and his beautiful scoot!!! :(

#8 ·
Well, he recovered well. He looked like he just stole home... Slid in and walked away.. The planning was nonexistent but the recovery looked very cool. The best part is that he is out a bunch of money to repair that ride. I doubt it will make him think about it but it still makes me feel better that he wrecked it. the bottom line is whether I feel better or not because people that dumb don't need to matter.

#9 ·
@gree: He does keep his cool after the slide. And his entry didn't help much.

But I think he could have made it thru had he kept his foot up. He was almost to the apex when his foot caught the pavement, thru his leg back into the bag and pulled his body position off line. You can see the back end wash out right then.

I think the damage on that primary was from the crash, the sparks in the turn, while he was still on two wheels, came from the floorboard support.

#15 ·
I ran over my foot once with my YZ. That was many moons ago and I still remember it. Caught a toe in the dirt, threw my foot right back under the rear tire. Remembering that helps keeps me on the floorboards.

Analysis just may help others from making similar mistakes.

Great post dyne, thanks.

#13 · (Edited)
Target fixation at it's finest, looked like he was making sure the camera was still on him after he started walking away too. Those baggers sure flip purdy, nothing like sliding on your ass down asphalt at 50MPH watching all those parts flying off.

#14 ·
I must say that was an awesome dismount.

#16 ·
Baggers will grab your foot and try to drag it under. It really is way to easy to do. I've had it happen a few times. Always at low speed when I had my feed down. You start out walking it and then your stride lengthens out a little....next thing you know the bag tries to wedge your foot under.

#18 ·
Thermodyne.... Damn I love that screen name. Always takes me back to trips with my dad in the ole B 61

Not being a dick... But walking the bike isn't the best practice .IMO
Short pull up in traffic for bike length, maybe ? But anything over bike/ car length , practice getting both feet up and covering the rear brake . Friction brake the clutch and keep your balance. Practice , practice,practice.:beer:

#20 ·
I agree that he didn't really "put" his foot down.
Looks to me like he had his tennis shoe planted off the rear outside edge of the board.
I've inadvertently dragged my heel a few times in corners.
Have learned to slide my feet in so that my shoe sole is 100% on the board.
In this case, looks like the foot was levered back off the board as opposed to him "putting it down". JMO.

I wasn't for sure. Were those stock, non-extended bags?
Even if they were, it confirms my suspicion that extended bags would make an otherwise fun-to-corner-with bagger into a poorly cornering bagger just because of the necessarily reduced lean angle. Again JMO. Everyone I talk to with extended bags claims they don't scrape though.

#31 ·
Also looks like he was leaning away from the curve with the stiff left arm. Should have had his left arm bent and body tucked down into the turn with his left side off the edge of the seat. Setup should have been more to the outside then in to the center line. We can armchair ride all we want, bad riding posture and poor setup drove that bike into the ground. Nothing more

#33 ·
That's what happens when you chase a crotch rocket on a dangerously low HD bagger.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

#34 ·
Mullholland/Rockstore

Ah yes the last lefthander on Mullholland above the rockstore before you get to Kanan Rd. It is a weird turn that seems to be a decreasing radius turn in both directions, lol. Going the direction he was going it is an uphill turn. Hey if a guy never tests his limits how does he know where they are? He walked away and his crash didn't cost any of you 1 dime.

#39 ·
Hey if a guy never tests his limits how does he know where they are? He walked away and his crash didn't cost any of you 1 dime.
I can't disagree.

After a wreck like that you are jacked up cause you are still alive. It can be a bit of a rush. Then there is the issue of $$$$ you lost. Luckily I have never done it on that expensive of bike.

#44 ·
Guaranteed if those bags lift that rear wheel, he is going to crash. That why I never have extended bags on anything I ride. I drag the floor boards enough as it it!
In most situations, I agree with both of you, but things are not always static. I have a '13 Road Glide, completely stock ride height and I have brushed the primary and saddlebag in a left turn at Deal's Gap. If the road was not crowned, this may not have happened, but that is why I was saying think more dynamically. Also, I scrape my frame all the time with no ill effects other than chewing metal off and having to spray can it to keep it from rusting. When I had my 09 V-Rod Muscle, there were a few times when I scraped hard enough to lift the rear end, causing me to loose traction on the ass end, but that doesn't guarantee a wreck, as I never wrecked it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.