V-Twin Forum banner

Any news on the Polaris Indian

8K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  RabyTat 
#1 ·
Like the title says is there any news on what Polaris is gonna due with he Indian brand?

#2 ·
From what I have read on the Indian Community Forum and what I was told by Mark Moses when I picked up my 2012 Indian Chief Vintage the 2014 model is when Polaris will be more involved with production. The look will be left as it is maybe some internal improvemts. Indian is owned by Polaris but they do there own thing. I have owned many Harley's and the paint/chrome is a notch above Harley.

#3 ·
From what I have been told, Polaris plans to use the Indian models as they are and made were there made as sort of a CVO type for there Victory dealers, but not all the dealers will be in the program, if there is Indian dealer in the area, then those Victory dealers will be frozen out left as a stand alone dealer. In most cases, the Victory dealers without a Indian dealership in the area will be offered the opportunity to become one.

It will take a large enough commitment on the dealers side to have the room on the showroom and service side, send there techs to training and have the room in the parts department to hold innovatory..., but it will be good for all the Indian owners has there will be a larger dealer network to support there motorcycles.

#9 ·
I was thinking the same thing, their price point compares to H-D CVO offerings, with the CVO's having more bang for the buck (IMO). I saw them earlier in the year at Chester's HD near you and wondered if there were enough customers willing to pay premium dollars for a bike that competes with a Heritage Softail to be "exclusive". Always loved the style and 'swoop' of the Indian bikes, glad they are using their own powerplant instead of the S&S, although i heard the S&S was infinitely more reliable. Beautiful bikes and marketing materials, just wonder if there are enough buyers in this economy for them to make it this time around .... third (or fourth) time's a charm....
Tim

#10 ·
I have been on Indian's email list since they reincarnated......again, in '09. When they first sent out the info on the new Chiefs I was amazed and very disappointed to see that, at that time, the lowest priced Chief came in at $32,000. This was with no bags, no windshield, and a solo seat.

I emailed the company and asked them how they expected to stay in business this time with prices like that. I did get a response. This was late in '09 as I recall. The response was fairly defensive and the guy claimed proudly that they already had orders for 700 bikes. Whoopee. Now they still have brand new bikes from each model year that never sold sitting around the country. And every month they come up with another sales gimmick to entice folks to buy.

Hate to say I told them so, but..........

They are nice looking bikes and I'd love to have a Chief. But not for that kind of coin.

#13 ·
I've always heard that "you can buy better, but you cannot pay more" about HD, apparently that is an innacurate statement.

#14 ·
At least not in the case of the Indian brand anyway.

#16 ·
I got a look at one of the newer Indians a while back, they are certainly a cut above in quality than most, but the price makes these bikes unobtainable for most people. The ergonomics are definitely geared towards a larger rider, if I was a 6'+ 250 lb guy I'd definitely be looking at one of these. The owner of the Chief I was looking at had to be 6'5" and approaching 300 lbs, somehow the bike didn't seem small with him on it like a lot of the other touring bikes out there do.

Now if they would bring back the Scout line, that' more my style. And size!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.