V-Twin Forum banner

Why police model?

50K views 110 replies 85 participants last post by  BT2 Zeke 
#1 ·
Hey Im not trying to offend anyoneand not knocking your bike of choice!!

But to me as biker the last thing i would want is bike thats in anyway ralted to cops.I'm just asking question why did you choose police model bike.
Like I said this is meant to offend.Hey if enjoy it ride it that the point of spending all this money.

#34 ·
I have to say I agree with everyones comments -my '92 just happened to come my way thru an engineer at work; it's a very comfortable bike, but the suspension on my older bike had to be completely redone (sta-bo bushings, 1" lowered PS shocks, new PS front springs, front fork hydraulic stabilizer, 3.5 x 21" frt. wheel, elite 3 radial tires). My year has the INA cam bearing, so i changed it out and went to screamin' eagle heads and SE-57 cam. It still has the lower gearing, so the top speed is somewhere around 100 mph, where most any Softtail will go 125-130 mph, stock. Just my 2 cents worth!

#36 ·
... But to me as biker the last thing i would want is bike thats in anyway ralted to cops...
Sorry, but I gotta go there... What an asinine statement. That and your 'as a biker' quote.

I met a rude, dirty, and probably criminal, Harley-Davidson rider once. No offense to any Harley riders, but it made me want to sell my Harley and buy a Beemer! I can't wear jeans anymore either, and all my t-shirts are yellow. Please.

I don't care how many bad cops you think you've met, they're a very small minority. There are much worse things to be affiliated with.

Those guys place themselves between you and harm every day; unless, of course, you're part of the harm. Cops and military both dodge bullets so you don't have to.

joe

#40 ·
I bet you see yourself completely different than how others see you.

First off, you have the situational awareness of a retard. Don't want to offend anyone? There are are many sworn LEOs on this forum. From local to federal, active and retired. Pay attention, they are contributing, active members.

Second. There is much to be learned from LEOs. Everything from where to eat, what gear to use, riding TTPs, guns, and a whole lot more.

LEOs assigned to motor units are usually some of the coolest guys you will ever meet. I compare police motor units to motorcycle clubs the way pirate ships can be compared to the navy. Lots of synergy, that whole ying-yang thing.

#41 · (Edited)
alright,
Even though this thread has been inactive for quite a while I have to add my opinion...
First of all the price... got an 09 flhtp with less than 10K miles for less than 12K...
Second 103C.I.
Third Oil cooler
Fourth the wheels I like
and Fifth...
It's another bike!
I also forgot to mention the 1300 plus mile ride home!!!

#42 ·
$'s less than civilian RK, 103 ci, oil cooler, nicer looking wheels, didn't have to pay shipping charge, 620 miles on odometer, tach, double bar saddlebag rails, think it has a high-output charging system? already had a scratch or two on tins so when I put my first scratch on it I didn't feel as bad as if on a completely new bike

#43 ·
Friend of mine bought one years ago, it was an old boston cop EVO. A dealership outside of Boston was selling a bunch of them, high miles and beat up, but, the deal was I think 4 or 5 grand out the door,maybe even less, without a battery in it. You couldn't start it or test ride it, it was a roll of the dice but at that price, even if you had to dump 1500 into it, it was still a bargain. His started right up, few minor repairs, he still rides it. They never even took the siren off, which is still there and working to this day.

#44 ·
ditto

I, too, have to add my opinion...

First of all the price... got a 2010 FLHTP with ONLY 7 miles for less than 16K...

Second: 103 motor w/out paying extra

Third: comes w/ Oil cooler

Fourth: I like hockey pucks

Fifth: Did I mention the 1441 mile ride home thru Yellowstone, the Bighorn Mtns and the Black Hills???!!!

#45 ·
More paint and less chrome. They look like older Harleys and can't be easily identified by paint and tank graphics. O yah, the price.

#47 ·
I got a 2011 that was never picked up by the police department (only 4 miles on the odometer), so it had to be sold as used and I got the full warranty.
Also, mine is vivid black, has all the electro glide classic bling without the luggage or stereo, no logo on the tank or fender to screw up the beautiful paint job.
I changed the seat and am going with a sissy bar and detatchable luggage rack, $350 for a marine stero and speakers.
The bike looks great, runs great, and only the hockey puck saddle bag latch and air cleaner cover still shows the any trace of police, that will be taken care of soon when I upgrade to pushbutton latch and stage II.
Most Harley riders don't recognize what it is.
One more great advantage, I blew through a speed trap on the expressway at 110 and the cop just sat there, it might not work every time but it did then and I was glad of it.

#48 ·
It's Simple.

It's easy to understand once you own one. My top 10 things:
1. As previously pointed out, the air ride seat saves the small of your back and easily adjusts to the type of riding you're doing.
2. I have long legs and you sit higher with the air ride seat.
3. My 2005 FLHPI comes stock with a tach, not found on a stock RK or RKC.
4. They come stock with saddlebag guards and rails, extra on a stock RK or RKC.
5. You can easily get into your saddlebags while sitting on the bike because they are hinged and open away from you.
6. It has a plain, clean look to it. I happen to like the plain birch white paint job devoid of all HD emblematics.
7. They are about $750-$1000 cheaper than a stock RK.
8. There's enough chrome to make it look good but not so much that you feel like you have to polish it.
9. There's plenty of extra switches included so adding accessories is easier.
and.....
10. With a cargo net you can easily strap down 4 cases of beer on the pizza box platform.

I'm just saying.............

#52 ·
I had a 2003 FLHP and loved it. Bought a 2007 FLHTCUI in 2007 and really missed the FLHP. When the local PDs 2008 FLHPs came back off of lease I really wanted one, B&W fenders, tank, and bags, 103CUI, Brembo ABS Brakes, Oil cooler and air ride seat. Rode this thing over 800 miles one night. Very comfortable and looks great.

#53 ·
Had to add to this one. I picked up an unclaimed by county sheriffs dept. '11 FLHTP. All beautiful un-badged black, 103, ABS, 5 miles for $14,600 plus tax, etc. Having Fulsak headers, V&H slash cuts, PCM, and a Corbin seat installed. Few other doo dads to come. Very nice stallmate for my '00 RG!

#55 ·
I couldn't believe it either. They had $16999 on the tag. I came back next day, Asked for their best deal. They took $500 off. I told them we were so far apart no point in talking further. They asked for me best offer. I shot em $14600 plus tax and delivery. They talked to the manager and said DEAL! Almost weird the way it went, but I rode off like a bandit before they woke up!

#57 · (Edited)
why police model?

Well, maybe there are a few bikers on this forum. I mean REAL bikers, you know, the guys who ride motorcycles and act antisocially because they don't give a damn what anyone else thinks about them. But there are very few of them. Don't get me wrong, I respect them, not for what they do, but for the spirit of the motorcycling.

Many of us would say that we bought our bikes for the freedom of the open road and to travel, the adventure of motorcycling, "Where the Road Begins and Never Ends...". But in reality, most of us are only weekend riders at best. Every Harley owner modifies and adds accessories to his or her bike and having a Police Harley is just another way of being a little different from the rest.

#58 ·
Police Bikes
I wanted to buy a used Police Bike for a few reasons. Number one is knowing they were well maintained while in service, the ride and the handling ability in traffic or tight quarters. My nephew had one that he rode everyday without any problems and I liked the air ride seat on it along with the suspension for my bad back.
I could not find one when I was looking here in Southern California,so I bought a 2002 Road King Classic 88 with just 11,000 mi. on it for $11,000.00
My plan was to modify the bike so it had the same ride and handling of the Police Bikes.
I installed a used police air ride seat kit, then changed out the suspension to progressive front & rear trying to get the same ride or better than the Police Bikes.
I'm still trying different handlebars to get that perfect feel for me at 6'3" tall. I may go to Fwd. Controls and remove the Engine Guard for my long legs.

#59 · (Edited)
I dig the fact that my bike spent it's first three years enforcing the law and will spend the rest of it's life breaking it. I like to think it's having more fun now.

"Sinners are much more fun"-Billy Joel.

P.S. I'm not a 1%er. Don't break any major laws. Just a lot of traffic laws.

#61 ·
Mine reason was the Price. 12K for an 03' in March 04' with 384 miles on it. I love the saddle bags, replaced the pucks with my own creation made from Softail neck bolt covers and filled with epoxy and willed out to handle the shaft. Plus I love the tach which is an option on other bikes. The only thing that says police is the sticker at the base of the tach.

#69 ·
Mine reason was the Price. 12K for an 03' in March 04' with 384 miles on it. I love the saddle bags, replaced the pucks with my own creation made from Softail neck bolt covers and filled with epoxy and milled out to handle the shaft. Plus I love the tach which is an option on other bikes. The only thing that says police is the sticker at the base of the tach.
Great blank canvas to do your own touches to.

#62 ·
I can't imagine getting another bike. I have a 06 Road King Police. It is the same bike that I trained on when I went through Harley's motor officer school. My Dad bought the bike from a local agency for pennies on the dollar with the plan of me inheriting it. I have put a ton of miles on the bike and now it is mine.

P.S. No offense taken.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.