V-Twin Forum banner

Why police model?

50K views 110 replies 85 participants last post by  BT2 Zeke 
#1 ·
Hey Im not trying to offend anyoneand not knocking your bike of choice!!

But to me as biker the last thing i would want is bike thats in anyway ralted to cops.I'm just asking question why did you choose police model bike.
Like I said this is meant to offend.Hey if enjoy it ride it that the point of spending all this money.

#63 ·
I'm the "police" but I don't have a police bike. Maybe someday. I've sat on a few of my fellow officer's police bikes and the seats are pretty darn comfy. Also, they have a different handlebar set up (so I'm told) that also makes it more comfortable on a 12 hour (yes thats right 12 hour) shift. Hats off to those guys for dodging cagers all day to keep the streets a little safer for me and my brood.

#64 ·
Picked my 2011 electra glide police bike for $16400. It had 525 miles and just had the 500mile service done. My 2011 has the newer frame to accommodate for a the new larger 2012 rear tire. The ABS system has saved my a$$ twice from cagers pulling a left in front of me. Fun fact about that is when the abs is activated the hazard lights automatically turn on and dont shut off until you shut them off!
The blank slate is giving me so many options to customize to my liking. Stage 1 with program and a dyno tune currently being done. When I get it back I am putting in a 4 speaker system,amped by the RF pbr300x4, running off a marine Kenwood head unit. i went with 6.5 infinity marine speakers with the bat wing adapters and 6.5 lower fairing pods. I wont have to worry about any charging problems due to the upgraded charging system .
The 103 with the 6 speed has been great and cant wait to hear how it sounds and how it reacts to the big louie 4 inchers from Rush(2.5 inch baffles), the power tune, and the arlen ness big breather.

Sorry, but the hockey pucks are gone and replaced by the push buttons. I really like the ease of use on the lids. No more puttin my stuff down to do the two handed opening and closing.:whistle:

The oil cooler has a sensor so it only kicks on when it needs to. (shuts off when running down the road, kicks on in traffic)

A few things i will change: temp and oil pressure gauges will be installed. i cant believe they didnt come with it. My controls will be replaced...i still have the red ones for sirens and lights.

I've owned a road glide 2 ultra classics and this bike by far is the best handling and most comfortable ride. The price savings allowed me to do the upgrades and customize to my liking. Probably own this bike for the rest of my days.

#65 ·
you know the maintenance was done on schedule and bike never abused(i think?!)...someone told me they get/were hopped up for chasing phsycos.....i had a noisey pri chain till i checked my friends cop bagger that ran silky smooth and quiet...it was set at 1/2 the book slop...got mine like that and never looked back.

#67 ·
A Few Good Reasons

1. Price - 2012 FLHTP $15800 + tax out the door. If you can find one, a stock stripped Ultra starts at $18K and goes up from there.
2. Comfort - If you haven't spent time on an air ride seat I just can't explain the positives to you.
3. Oil Cooler comes stock
4. Police saddle bags are hinged so you can get at them while sitting on the bike. Convenient when in traffic.
5. I love the clean look. Birch White, no HD emblems or decals.

The only negatives I have found is you have to add on passenger equipment - pad, footboards, backrest.
And you have to add a sound system.

#68 · (Edited)
1. Made to be ridden by a biker for eight+ hours every day, regardless of weather.
2. Made to go down and be picked back up while still sliding...

3. Cops are not bad guys to law-abiding citizens.
Only those breaking the law (criminals) need fear/hate cops.

btw: The PHX MC cop who wrote my first 7 tickets, then taught me to ride. Never wrote me a ticket after that.

Blue knights are not bad guys.

edit to add: Sorry if i posted where i do not belong.

#70 ·
Great Bikes

I bought my FLHP in Oct. of 07 with 258 miles for 16000 and now you cannot even tell it is a police bike. Got the bike with the 103 six speed and have since made the bike look totally different, so owning the bike was cheaper and getting it together the way I wanted was wasier with the initial rpice of the bike. I have been on several road trip and not any problems.

#72 ·
As my user name would imply, I dont have one but I like the idea of buying a police model. (maybe for my next HD)
My reason for buying a HD police model would be for the comfort factor though.
My first police model wont be an HD though. Im not about to dice up a nice HD police model.
I am planning to hardtail and bob a KZ just for chit & grins.

#73 ·
I've got two a 1994 FXRP and a 2005 FLHPI Road King. I got both at a good price. The FXRP became to hard to stay on as I got older. The forward controls put me in a bad spot. Should have saved up the running boards. I got the 2005 just to cruse around town on. Well that didn't work out as planed thow. I go every where on it. Road trips are a blast on it. The wife even rides with me now. You ride up on a birtch white one and park beside the new bikes or even custom bikes and watch what happens. People just can't stay away from them. They are amazed by them. My riding buddies just point towards me when people ask who owns it. Most of the time they just point before they are even asked. It's just a plan old birtch white Harley. The fun factor is great except in town. Complete stops, adjusting their seat belts, below the posted speed limits, no texting, when you get beside them and they realize your not a patrol office they have this crap eating grin on their face with a over whelming sigh of releif. Besides like ever one else said the price and the maintenance were a major factor too.

#74 ·
I am just about sold!

Guys, thanks for all the posts and info on the cop bikes. I have been thinking about another ride, a little easier for long trips than my '09 FXDC.

I like the cost savings, and probably will start window shopping this winter. Have to say that birch white looks awfully handsome.

#78 ·
Why a police bike?

2007 103 c.i.engine, oil cooler, black, big alternator, I like the bags you can open without getting off the bike, like to get a hat or gloves at a stop sign. It's all black and chrome, looks good with all the carnival stuff stripped off. I like the black nacelle as well. Most comfortable bars on any Harley, IMO. I don't know why, I just like it.

#80 ·
This is kind of like trying to explain why you ride a motorcycle to people who do not ride. If you have to explain, they will likely not understand.

But I will try to articulate my thinking:

The cost for a performance bike is great.

The bike has its own attitude and many have history which adds interest.

The bike is a blank canvas rather than Mother Harley's idea of what a RUB will buy at a huge mark-up. It can be what I want without a lot of other assorted and unwanted junk and I have spare change to make all of that happen.

It has a very clean and classic look - unless I choose to mess that up.

For such a simple bike, it turns heads everywhere. Even at motorcycle functions it gets noticed over heavily customized rides. Hard to explain, but it does happen.

But for me, when I walk past the endless line of stock bikes at events, I seem to spot the police bikes. Then I take a moment to notice what people have done with them.

RT

#81 · (Edited)
Well...lessee......

New 2015 FLHT Electra Glide....$23,000.00 plus tax
NEW 2015 FLHTP in vivid black..$16,000 OTD!
They can keep the trunk, radio and two tone paint for 7,000+
It's paid for

I do not like trunks
I wanted an Electra Glide Standard...this is as close as I'll come now days

#82 ·
Mustang makes a nice passenger pad and a replacement seat with a removable backrest. I too hate the oversized trunk. So, you can also adapt a passenger backrest and luggage rack from a HD Trikke on top of the rear platform. I have done both mods with nice results.

#83 ·

Mustang rear seat with detachable Harley passenger backrest. I have also added a Utopia rider backrest since this photo was taken.

This lets me decide whether I want a clean solo look or a comfortable way for a passenger to come along. Takes seconds to convert - once you learn how to do it all.

The bottom line is that I have just what I wanted for a price that I wanted to pay.

#84 ·
Hey Im not trying to offend anyoneand not knocking your bike of choice!!

But to me as biker the last thing i would want is bike thats in anyway ralted to cops.
I'll assume you meant to say "related to cops''. :duh?:

Well , I'm not a big bad cop-hating outlaw biker. I bought mine simply because it was CHEAP! 6yrs ago , I paid $5000 for a 1997 FLHPI with 32,000mi. Most police bikes are leased with dealer service contracts so they're well maintained. After the lease is up , the dealers clean 'em up and sell 'em cheap. Plain white and little chrome , it's a blank canvas. The air-ride seat is probably the most comfortable ever mounted on a Harley as it's designed for 8hrs in the saddle.

#85 ·
"ralted"?? ROLMAO The PoPo at least have basic spelling skills....

The older I get the more I seem to appreciate the boys in blue.

Friends are surprised at what I paid for my used/new to me 2012 FLHP that I picked up about a year ago, with 13K on the clock. I've pulled up next to cops at stop lights two times, and have gotten a big ol' grin out of both. I like the smile way better than the alternative LOL

#86 ·
I just got my first bike back in March. It is a '15 FLHTP. The local PD decided to not fulfill their order. I got it brand spanking new, 9 miles on it. No decals and badging of any kind except the air cleaner. and that beautiful black paint. I got it for an awesome price.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Tapatalk

#87 ·
As most have posted, they are considerably cheaper and its a great starting point for any build. I picked my 2012 up last year with 4019 on the dash for $10,090.
I did replace the exhaust, air filter and added a V&H FP3. What a difference it makes.
because it was picked up for so little I am able to do some of the stuff I normally wouldn't have had the $$ for right away. The best part to me is the ABS, its saved my a$$ several times. Couldn't be happier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.