V-Twin Forum banner

Coating Inside Fuel Tank

27K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  screaminbrabus 
#1 ·
I have done numerous searches but have found nothing on this subject.
A friend of mine and I were servicing his 2003 Heritage Softail Classic for winter storage. He only had about a ¼ tank of fuel so he could put in the Fuel Stabilizer. When he looked inside the tank, he noticed that it had an Epoxy Coating to sealing it, but the sealant had blistered in several places. It looked as though the sealant was coming loose from the inside of the tank. He called the local Harley dealer and they said that they had only seen that one other time, but that it was not covered under the Extended Warranty. The dealer also said that Harley has discontinued the use of the sealant, so that kind of indicates that they might have had a problem with coating the insides of the tank.
My question is, has anyone ever dealt with or seen this problem before? If so what was the fix or resolution? :dunno:

#3 ·
I have head of it happening, have see the flakes in the bottom of tanks, but I have no real solution to the problem.
One thing we tried was to put some small steel shot, a little larger than a BB, in the tank with soapy water and shake it around to remove the bubbled up coating in the tank. This works to remove most of the current bubbles, but does not remove the coating. Just do not use too big of shot or you can dent you tank from the inside.
The coating is epoxy based, I believe, and a pain to remove with out caustic strippers that will screw up your paint if you get any on it.

#4 ·
I'm having a problem with mine,but I know what caused it.Had to have the tank welded to fix a leak while on a road trip.I've drained it several times since and replaced the screen.Still,every so often, the fuel will shut of once the tank reaches a certain level.Sometimes I can clear it with the fuel switch,sometimes not.At that point I have to change the fuel level to get to the gas station.I carry a pint o gas when I go outta town now.No problems unless I'm under 1/2 tank.
I'll be getting that fixed this winter.You have to boil it out chemically.My patners doing for me before a custom powdercoating job.

#5 ·
If you use the shot, you can recoat it. that is the quick fix, but it works.

#6 ·
LittleBear said:
I have head of it happening, have see the flakes in the bottom of tanks, but I have no real solution to the problem.
One thing we tried was to put some small steel shot, a little larger than a BB, in the tank with soapy water and shake it around to remove the bubbled up coating in the tank. This works to remove most of the current bubbles, but does not remove the coating. Just do not use too big of shot or you can dent you tank from the inside.
The coating is epoxy based, I believe, and a pain to remove with out caustic strippers that will screw up your paint if you get any on it.
Thanks Little Bear for your reply, I only have a couple of questions.
1. How much shot and water do you use, and 2. do you use any kind of primer or coating where the bubbles were?

#7 ·
Do a search on the internet and you'll find some sealant products. Like this one http://www.caswellplating.com/aids/epoxygas.htm
Comes with instructions. I haven't done it but i'm sure it's a pain in the ass. Its either that or just leave it and hope it doesn't clog the fuel filter and leave you stranded.

#8 ·
LongRide said:
Thanks Little Bear for your reply, I only have a couple of questions.
1. How much shot and water do you use, and 2. do you use any kind of primer or coating where the bubbles were?
A hand full of shot and a Gallon of water. So you got some mass to move around and plenty of empty space in the tank to slosh it around. See Miles to go's post for a sealer.

#9 ·
Most (if not all) aftermarket tank sealers won't adhere to the stock harley sealer and recommend stripping the inside of the tank and acid etching the metal for proper adhesion. The problem is, you'll never strip the inside without destroying the paint on the outside. I believe POR-15 has a paint coating that can be brushed on to seal the paint and protect it from the stripper, but I'd be hesitant to take that risk. I would try the techniques above to remove the loose sealer and then leave it alone. A little surface rust on the inside of the tank won't cause as many problems as resealing the tank without prepping it properly.

#10 ·
If the coating is bubbling and peeling, no amount of cleaning is going to keep it from doing it again and fouling your petcock and fuel filter. It needs to be removed.
Most coatings can be removed with either MEK or acetone, which you can find at the local hardware store. You can do it without screwing up your paintjob, but you have to be very careful. Once it's removed, there are 3 coating solutions I know of, Kreem, POR-15 and RedKote. I've used all 3 and if you follow the directions, they're all good. Kreem and POR-15 require the metal to be etched with an acid rinse after it's been de-rusted and cleaned, RedKote does not, so it's easier to use. From what I understand, RedKote is used primarily in commercial applications, such as the aircraft industry and radiator shops.

George

#11 ·
I have a 2003 Electra with the same thing going on, Blisters inside the fuel tank. I pulled the tank cover off last night to inspect inside my tank and was not happy to see blisters in the inner tank liner, mostly on the right side. I came on here today to see whats up with that???

thanks'
Mitch

#12 ·
Ok, anyone have any updated advice or experience here? My 2001 FLSTSi is just starting to peel a tiny bit inside the tank. A flashlight stuck in the fuel-fill hole shows some very small amount of rust by and around the right side crossover tube where the liner has come loose. Vast majority of the factory internal tank lining is intact. Expect that the rest will start to peel over time. Injection pump, regulator and filter still working fine inside tank but "squeals" from time to time with a 1/2 tank or less. Suspect the input screen/filter has little pieces of this tank liner in it. No unusual noise from the pump when tank is full. Bike still running fine. Please reply if you've had a similiar experience not based on "speculation" :) of what (may) happen or how to solve? Thanks all !

#15 ·
dont let harley fix it

to bad that happened ! well the fix begins with getting all the crap out 1st@gree:

the stuff a lot of on line HD parts dealers and H-D dealers sell is this crap called creem dont use it @gree::clap:except all you guys with pos sushi bikes oh ya victorys too:redrolf::hystria:mad:gree:

the best stuff I have found is from a company called POR 15

i always use it before the tanks go into Paint so when there already painted you have to be xxxxxtra careful:clap:

LQQK @ por15 website this stuff treats the metal it doesnt coat it !
the only next thing to do is order a Brand new tank with the oem paint from Harley $$$$$$:cya:

#16 ·
Anyone know of a place or organization that I could send the tank to and have it internally cleaned and coated without messing up the factory external paint? Harley only made a little over 200 FLSTS(i) models (in this color) in year 2001 and I sure dont want to take the chance of screwing up the paint job. I figure there has got to be someone somewhere that has experience coating the inside of Harley tanks.......

#17 ·
If you want to preserve your paint I would not have it relined. It's very hard to not get any of that liner on the exterior and a little bit is enough that it will ruin the paint. I would focus on trying to remove the liner and be done with it. For years after HD recognized this problem they stopped lining the tanks....

#18 ·
May 9th,2013. After several attempts and batteries to get my 03 SE Road King to start, I too have discovered the blistered peeling coating inside the gas tank. I found this thread to be the most consistent and all above remedies, with the exception of the "BB"'s and Dryer solutions, are very accurate in providing a solution.
I will post pictures and provide my DIY solution based on all above recommendations, along with any other solutions or credits as I take on this project. Another motivation for doing this is I also own a 03 SE Deuce, that last year in a rally parade, died on me, and after spending 2 hours on side of road, with my wonderful but irritated wife, surprisingly started back up after several earlier attempt failed. I now feel that the same tank peeling issue is on Deuce. After loading up trailer to take bike home, it dislodged debris from in tank filter but will definitely return if not resolved. I don't want to be at the 110th, watching from the side of the road.

#19 ·
Wow I thought 1% tags were embarrassing. .... FNG :) tag shows someone cares. OK, I will be as careful as I can when posting, and feel free to chime in with questions, or disagreements, or cautions. Again my only motivation is I have x2 the problem. For several years I have depended on sites and forums like this one to help me and this is my way of paying forward. Also I thing I have to post ten times before pictures are allowed, so trust me I will document, and supply pictures when allowed. Oh yeah, one other issue, if you do use your wifes favorite comforter, don't leave it in the dryer, she will know it was you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.