V-Twin Forum banner

Ultima 120

8K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  strokerjlk 
#1 ·
Got the ultima 120 in the 95 bagger and its feelin good no problem breakin loose.Runnin a fatcat and she sounds awsome.

#14 ·
now a bit of advise from someone who has been there......

take the bolts holding the engine to tranny out, and throw them away. Run hardened studs down in those holes, and use a hardened nut on top...then keep an eye on those, and keep them tight

mine worked loose with the added torque, then cracked out the transmission bolt hole

#17 ·
FWIW, Jireh Cycles lists the Ultima 120 as follows:

130hp / 135tq at the rear wheel
4.25 x 4.25 bore & stroke
Forged flat top pistons 9.8:1 cr
cam .640 lift, 264 duration
Valves stainless 2.100 int, 1.700 exh
Carb 45mm Mikuni

That is what the book claims. I do not know what these specs should produce hp & tq wise, or if additional work could improve their claims...

#18 ·
ultima does brag some prety good numbers....but when you get the engine, there is a disclaimer hat these numbers are only achievable with certain components....I think ultima tests engines with a hooker stepped header. I know that for testing they use an electric fuel pump to keep the carb full, bu I really don't think they are that far off with numbers....They do make a 120 inch bagger specific engine, that I really like the numbers for...not quite as much top end power, but cammed fo better midrange.....I know a dynatech 2000ip ignition really smooths them out much better then the ignition thaty comes with the engine. That mikuni could fall off, in favor of a CV, big air, or typhoon, and I think there would be improvement....I really think there might be an extra 5 horsepower worth of improvement there, but wth as much as they prduce all ready, I wonder if anyne would really feel the diffrence

#20 ·
Have a 127 in my 88 springer. Im amazed you didnt get ton of negative feed back about ultima stuff. Ive had mine in for few year now no real problems except as stated above it will find any weak links or bolts. I had mine dynoed at sturgis the year it went in and it made just under 150 hp and 144 tq. Now I add little compression changed cam. larger intake vale did minor port work and I have step exhaust on it. Dyno operator had to change timing and jetting little and said I realy needed more carb only have a super g on it. He said Id be cloase to 155 hp if I had a super d and got it tuned fully. Not postive about that but hey its only 6 or so more horses. never did dyno with the bottle turned on but it does add real kick to it. Actualy might be headed towards the to much are.. HA Ha Ha like that real exist

#21 ·
I've got an el bruto 113 in my old 95 superglide mated to rivera clutch and
using a torque arm to hold everything together and the engine
runs just fine....had one issue that stumped me good for a while...
thing would start and run fine...stop for gas or whatever and re-starting was
hit or miss...learned it had thrown a magnet off the stator...was charging up in
trickle charger in garage for initial starting. Had to get their brand
stator and drum and replace it, but since then all good again. Also, had to
get less teeth on ring gear and pinion starter gear and a higher torque starter
and that makes starting much better also.

#22 ·
As you may have read I am studying these posts to learn more on the Ultima because I am interested in buying one within the next 40-days. Any input is greatly appreciated. I have an FXRS 1990 and I believe that the 100 CI is the biggest I can go on my frame. I have a 140 tire on the back. Should be fun!

#23 ·
You can fit a 120 or 127 in there
several of them out there.nowhereman's fxr comes to mind.
a S&S 124 is taller than both of them and it fits.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.