V-Twin Forum banner

107ci All-Bore, TMan Stage III Heads, TR-625, FatCat BBQ, 51mm TB

15K views 46 replies 15 participants last post by  rodriguc 
#1 · (Edited)
Two charts are attached. One is the final results of my 107ci with TR-625 cams. The other chart is a comparison of the same engine with the TR-625 cams (tuned; upper curves) and the TW-8G+2 key (untuned; lower curves).

Below is the listing of components used on this build. Thoughts, comments or recommendations?

2002 Road King Classic
Mileage - 60K miles

SAE - 119tq/119hp
STD - 123tq/123hp
Uncorrected - 124tq/124hp

107ci All-Bore Engine (10.3 Static/9.4 Corrected - originally thought to be 10.5 static)
Tuned by JC Cycle Works

Dark Horse - Overhaul/weld/balance OEM crankcase/flywheel assembly
Axtell “4.125 x 4” Cylinders/Dome Piston (10cc) Kit
T-Man Stage III Heads (93cc/1.940" Int/1.615" Exh) and compression releases
S&S Roller Rockers
HD “B” Lifters and Camplate with Baisley/LMR oil pressure spring
Feuling Oil Pump
T-Man TR-625 cams
HPI 51mm Throttlebody w/4.9 gps injectors
Zippers MaxFlow Air Filter and Pushrods
D&D Fat Cat exhaust with Big Bore Quiet baffle
HD Premium Oil Cooler
TTS Master Tuner
3.37 final gear ratio
VP92T VPC w/SE clutch spring and easy-pull clutch ramp

In my engine, the TR-625 and TW-8G cams made the same level of valve train noise -- low.

The clutch plates will be replaced shortly. Took the bike on a 20 mile run in single digit temps, but it took that long to get the engine to somewhat warm up. A longer ride will be necessary to truly assess the bike's performance.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Dennis, I think you got that backwards. I think he removed the 8 (untuned), installed the 625, and then tuned it.

#6 ·
Breaks a 100 torque very early in the power band and pulls well out the top, can't ask for more than that, what did Dave say about the little nipple in the graph lines?

#12 ·
He said it could have been the dyno machine spiking, though he admitted it was consistant in all the runs. I suspected the clutch, but was hoping to hear from others here on this abnormality before replacing the clutch. Thanks.

#8 ·
OK, unusual spike in the torque and HP line then. Just look a little closer at the overall torque curve and tell me what you see. I bet Ahar would recognize it in a second.

#16 ·
I have seen this at different times on my own machine and was told here is was RF, almost always seems to be around that 4250 rpm mark.(on my dyno anyway)

#18 ·
Just got a message from Dynojet telling me my stack is done(redone) and ready for shipping, I have to call them tomorrow for payment and I will ask them about the spike.

#20 ·
Looks that way, got home too late again today to call them, will find out Monday, at least it was nothing serious.
Back to the original topic, will look forward to hearing more about this 107 build, just something about that bore stroke combo that really runs out awesome, Dennis, when you gonna bite the bullet and get that 114 built?

#25 ·
Rash - I haven't seen any 107"/TR625 results. Have you posted the details of you build and results anywhere on the forum? I'd like to see if my results are typical of this build.

Guys - Thanks for all the feedback thus far.

#26 ·
your results are about right compared to what ive seen. my dads t man 107 stage 3 kit with a 662 cam did in the low 120s on hp and tq. my stage 4 107 with 625 cam 10:7 cr zipper air cleaner 55mm tb cycle shack duals did 126hp and 134tq. the high tq peak was a suprise with the build but was a nice one.

#28 ·
Thanks for data points on your two builds, gives me a good comparison. I figure my lower peak numbers (on paper) may be a reflection of a non-stroked engine and lower gearing. Once warmed up, this engine runs really smooth and quiet (especially between 3-5K rpms -- haven't taken it pass this range), accelerating quickly. Yesterday, I had an opportunity to take her out on a 40-mile open road run and found myself having to closely watch my speed as I could not rely on engine sound or vibration. This was more a result of not wanting to give local law enforcement a reason to pull me over, after unintentionally hitting 80 mph in a 55 mph zone known for speed traps :)

How long have you been running that combination (heads/cams) in your engine? Any issues with the level of compression?

With 10.5 static and 9.6 corrected compression on a relatively new designed cam, and not having many data points, I had some concerns with potential detonation -- though like Wood cam, T-Man cams tend to like higher compression. The heads and tuning can certainly support the higher compression.

#34 ·
YEP the tach lead cable being too close to the fan cord, or the magnet inside it has a crack, plug wires etc. Had a bike that I was working on last week that had some after-market plug wires same deal. Worst part is when tuning under load when the tach jumps the load will increase with it. Ruins that run at that point you get to start over. Has summax wires on it, pulled them installed stock wires no issues. Have seen it with many other plugs wires as well.

That looks to be more clutch though. Seen the dip and the bump.

#40 ·
Rodriguc, SWEET build and tune looks spot on as well.
Dan - Thanks for the compliment! Its been a prue joy to ride thus far. Now I wonder what how she would react if I dropped in a stroker -- quick change the subject. #Spankme@

Good luck on your big day and give my regards to the master tuner :clap:

#41 ·
T-Man Performance - Outstanding Customer Service

Last night I received a call (out of the blue) from someone in North Carolina on my cell phone. When I answered it, the voice on the other end was that of TR from T-Man Performance. He wanted to check on my level of satisfaction with the heads and cams I had recently purchased from him for this 107". Are you kidding me -- I didn't think anyone did that anymore! We were on the phone a good hour discussing my build and answering questions. Apparently, mine was the first all-bore 107" engine he had seen with his combined Stage 3 heads and TR-625 cams, as he mostly works with stroked engines.

TR thought I could potentially pull a little more out of my engine by removing the wrapping from my baffle (which would also increase the noise level - not good) or re-bore the 51mm throttlebody to 55mm (which we both agreed might negatively impact on my low end torque, but up to 53 mm -- maybe!). We also discussed the spike on my dyno sheet -- he too believed it was clutch slipage and recommended replacement of the friction plates.

Many others, including our site sponsors, may also follow-up with their customers after making sales, but for me this was first. Just wanted to share this experience with you.

#43 ·
Thanks for the heads up -- I wasn't aware that he posted pics of my bike. In look at the pics, I see the gas tank and top rocker boxes were removed -- hmmm. Guess that was necessary to install the new pushrods (Zippers), as the S&S rods were scraping.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.