V-Twin Forum banner

SE 110 heads

11K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  Shotgun1 
#1 ·
Hey , are the SE 110 cylinder heads a good choice for a hot rod build ? I've been seeing a whole passel of em on the market lately . Any pros and cons of using them over a set of factory 96" heads on a mild 103 build up ?

#2 ·
To be honest if you have a good machinist save the money on the heads and use the 96" set. the 103 and the 110 are the same heads I believe ( Don't quote me on that). My 106" has a set of heads from the stock 96" and they were able to machine out space for a larger set of Int and exh valves. Also for a hotrod I wouldn't use the compression releases and try a set of S&S easy Start cams with the compression releases built in. If you do the head work from a 96 you wont want to weaken them by placing the compression releases in there.

#6 ·
Makes perfect sense to me.

The guides weren't installed with enough press-fit.
But once that is addressed, and perhaps manual releases installed, they seem to work very well in larger engine applications.:)
Scott
So , after the new guides are installed you have a good set of heads to work with. Are the specs on the 110 heads the same as the 103 heads? Valve size, chamber ccs, port volumes? Would these work on a pumped up 103? Thanks

Anyone know where I can get the specs on the SE 103 heads to compare them to these 110s?

#4 ·
The guides weren't installed with enough press-fit.
But once that is addressed, and perhaps manual releases installed, they seem to work very well in larger engine applications.:)
Scott

#5 ·
I was told the port design is better with SE Heads??????

#10 ·
What Scott is trying to say is "in the right hands and on the right size engine, they perform great!" Right Scott?

#11 ·
Rob,
Yes, that is correct.
That "T" shaped head design, or also refered to as a "nail-head", acts like opening a door, when coming off the seat. GULP!!! Only way I know how to describe it.
Better stock up on tires!!!:redrolf:
Scott

#12 ·
Okee dokee:) Nail head, I get it (sorta..close enuff)
so what size build would you say was minimum to make good use of these heads? understanding that H-Ds will swallow just as much money as you throw at em, would these heads be worth working over comparable to "custom" heads?

#14 ·
make good use of these heads

117"+, or very hot higher rpm 110"
The only way to pump the torque up with these heads is to use a short cam and they die early such as the SE255. Use a Woods 7 or TW400 for a compromise and if you let them go with a 250°+ cam the torque and hp numbers swap, HP exceeds peak torque.

#15 ·
Seen a 09 SE ultra 110 with se 257 bolted in go 107 hp 114 tq.
reinhert T/D'S and the curve didnt look to bad actually.

#16 ·
Don,
Same thing we see with HTCC heads, on the smaller builds.
Get a good low end cam to hit, and take up the slack, and mark the mid-range numbers, at the same time the head is starting to take off, and then let the head take it out the back door.
The torque will flatline, a good number, but the hp goes zooming, and running ahead of the torque number.
BTW, what are those Morel(?) lifters you were refering to??
Scott

#17 ·
Good info . I didn't realize these were like the rectangle port BBC heads from the 60s and early 70s .
From what I'm gathering I would need to pump my compression and use a quick closing cam to build cylinder pressure to get a decent torque curve that would also run out the back door with a good HP number .
I'm new to H-D , but not to engine building , there some good stuff here . Would I be better off building the 110 engine from the get go to fill in the lower torque curve ? All that "take off" stuff is cheap right now .
Complete SE 110 top ends w/SE255 cams for cheap .
Bore the TB , larger injectors , bump the fuel pressure ?

#21 ·
Nah
Read the posts about the 110 issues, the sleeves in the barrels, head gasket failures from the defective barrels
If you are case boring anyway consider 113 or 117. Then use those heads. Otherwise bag them and use reworked OEM heads with a bathtub.
BTW with enough force you can get those to work on a 103" but it is going to be low on torque, promise, even with stock or 255 cams and as Scott said it will still die early.

#25 ·
The other issue I found with using the 110 Se heads on anything less than the 110 was mach air flow. I lost too much airspeed into the cylinder with the 208 int valves. I could have gone 208 on the stock 96" heads however I went with 202 due to the mach airflow. If u do use the stock 96 heads and you go any lager than a 190 on the int you may have issues trying to get the compression releases in there. That was why I suggested the new easy start cams from S&S.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.