V-Twin Forum banner

Accessory Wiring question

9K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  dhornick 
#1 ·
Accessory Wiring question......

How do I hardwire something into a accessory switch in the dash of a FLHX using one of the factory switch locations in the dash panel? I have ordered a GPS mount and will need to hardwire it in. On my Dyna I always just plugged it into my battery tender plug but will want this one more permanent. :coffee:

#2 ·
I believe the connector for the accessory switch on the dash is located under your seat, at least it is on the RG.

#3 ·
Just an Idea, you could tie it in with the cigg lighter. Take outer fairing off and it't right there. I put a set of passing lamps on a FLHX and the instructions were go in the wire harness which I did. Just thought about what I mentioned, Hope it helps...

#4 ·
Bump

I'd like more input from those who might not have seen the posted question please. Electrical doings are the thing I know the least about and don’t really trust myself and I need all the help I can get on this one….. :coffee:

#5 ·
The acc. switch controls an emty plug under the seat. If you want to avoid having to run wires under the tank back to that area you can as someone mentioned tap into the cig lighter circuit.
I have mounted both the MP3player and the Radar detector and the instructions from HD said to tap them both into the front fender light circuit.

So it really depends on how much amperge the item draws and wether or not you want it to come on with the key or prefer to control it with the switch.

#7 ·
alot of people just plug them into the cigerette lighter. Then you can just unplug, when you don't want it sitting on the bike, and getting stolen. But I do like the idea of wiring to the back side of the cigerette lighter if you want it cleaner looking.

#8 ·
Namz makes a nice little plug that plugs in under the seat and gives you a power/ground source for wiring such things.Maybe that will help.In fact you could give them a call and they can give you the best advice.They make plugs,kits,harnesses,etc for our bikes..........

#9 ·
OK checkin them out now. If they dont work out the next best thing is the cig lighter looks like to me.

Thanks everyone. :beer:

#10 ·
Inserting the cigarette lighter plug into the outlet will not work. Turning the bars will cause the plug to smack into the tank possibly causing a dent. I managed to find a right angle 12 volt plug made especially for that purpose. I had to wire it myself but it works. (I use it for a heated jacket linber).

The best way to go if you intend on using the cigarette lighter plug is to convert it to this syle outlet. http://www.powerletproducts.com/product/cigarette-insert-to-powerlet-socket-metal-adapter/1

It can be done without removing anything. Then you can buy any type connector in the 90 degree style and use it without fear of hitting the tank.
http://www.powerletproducts.com/shop-by-product/power-cables/PWRCBL

#11 ·
I mounted an accesory plug on the right side of my fairing. Approx the same position the cig lighter is on the left side. I cut off the connector and wired it into the head light wiring harness. There is a plastic red cap on the harness, take off the cap and use that one. They say do not use acc in your cig lighter. Alot of plugs will distort the cig lighter hole. My gps worked fine in my cig lighter but my portable xm radio distorted the hole and my cig lighter wouldn't stay in after that.

#12 ·
Under your seat is the plug controlled by the accessory switch. For about eight bucks your dealer can order the parts to build the male plug onto your GPS wires to plug into the female outlet plug. OR, remove your outer fairing and on either side of your headlight are two redish colored plastic covers which will plug right up to your GPS or at least this was so on my '08 Ultra. My GPS is hooked there under the fairing and my heated jacket liner & gloves are hooked under the seat to the accessory outlet. Hope that helps from the old man.

#13 ·
I truly appreciate your post but its way too generic for me. I need specifics like when you say “Under your seat is the plug controlled by the accessory switch”. The problem is that there are a ton of things under my seat and I have no idea what plug you’re writing about or what it would even look like. And as far as taking off my outer faring, since I just got the bike I have no idea how to or how hard it would be to take off to be able to get to the other two redish colored plastic covered plugs you speak of. :coffee:

#14 ·
How about buying your bike a couple of Christmas presents, the parts manual (09 numbers are 99456-09A and the service manual 99483-09). Not sure about your 07 numbers.

The combination is really all you'll need to do 90% of the stuff talked about on these forums.

I use mine a lot, and while the service manual is mandatory, the parts book is just as important to me as the visual drawings of all the parts assemblies are excellent.

#15 ·
Agreed, they are essential. I do already have the Service Manual but still need to secure the Parts manual. Problem is that I learn from doing. Never been able to learn from reading a book. Ugh! :confused:

#16 ·
I have just connected my satelite alarm to the accessory plug under my seat. It's a 4 pin deutch connector where you can choose to connect to the ignition/accessory switch or brake light. Used the pins 1 and 4 and now the satelite is connected to the ignition switch. The plug is located just in front of your battery and has a cap on it if it's not already used.
Connected my gps to the plug normally used for the front fender light. Can se that you have no front fender light so you can use the plug it's in the fairing.
Can take some pictures of it if you like.

#17 ·
Wow excellent info. Thanks. I'll do some looking and if I need the pics i'll let you know. Thanks again. :beer:

#18 ·
I used the fairing GPS mount from Harley, it can mount any standard GPS due to the location of the mounting screws are standard for most all GPS brackets.
It comes with the connectors to plug into the back of the Cig lighter. Orange is +12volts and black is the ground. If you want to leave the cig. lighter plug from your gps intact, pickup a female cig. Lighter from Radio Shack to use behind the fairing.
Just another opinion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.