V-Twin Forum banner

113" Build

23K views 164 replies 40 participants last post by  beaureed445 
#1 · (Edited)
For those of you who read multiple forums, and see this multiple times, I apologize. But, I thought I'd share with my project with all who care to read about it.

Well, it's that time of year when the leaves begin to change, and I decide to tear my bike apart again. This project is going to turn my 103" into a 113". I've already amassed a stock-pile of parts:

Heads- Baisley Super Stock (1.94 intake, 1.63 exhaust, 82.3 cc chambers)
Roller Rockers
Throttle Body- HPI 55mm
Injectors- SE 4.89
Intake- SE Heavy Breather (but may switch to HPI Eliminator)
Push Rods- GMR Adjustable
Jugs- SE 4.060 (bored to 4.065)
Pistons- HQ 4.065 (-7 cc dished)
Crank- Darkhorse
Cams- TMan 590G
Gears- S&S
Exhaust- D&D Fatcat (Std baffle, but may go big bore)
Tuning Device- PCIII (thinking about swapping to TTS Mastertune)
Clutch- Stock basket w/ SE Friction Plates and Barnett Spring (If it slips, we'll address it)

According to Bigboyz calculator, I should be at 10.7:1 compression (w/.030 head gasket). Corrected for my altitude, I'll be running 9.68:1, with 199.2 ccp. I'm going to tear the motor out (with professional help from a friend), and send the lower end to Dave at JD's Cycleworks. Dave already has my crank; jugs are at Hillside getting bored to match pistons. He will split my cases, add Timken and Darkhorse Crank. Bore cases to fit cylinders, and send back. We'll re-assemble here, heat cycle, and break it. If all goes smoothly, should be back together in the next 5 or 6 weeks.

See less See more
#7 ·
Did you already have the 113 jugs, by the time you pay for jugs and boring you might be close to getting axtell 117. That was the case with my build. I got a great price on jugs and pistons but they were out of round so I had to re bore and buy new pistons. For another 100 bucks I could have had the 117's Just something to look at.

#9 ·
The cost of jugs, hq pistons, and boring of jugs to match pistons was a pretty good savings over the Axtell kit. I did weigh this cost difference before I made a decision.

You cylinders are almost done.:)
Scott
Awesome. Thanks Scott!

#11 ·
I have pretty much covered them all.....and I've learned how much easier it would be to get a "kit" from one shop (will do this on next bike).

#12 ·
You will love it! I just got my 124" back a couple of weeks ago and it is a huge improvement over my 103" I had. I need to put a better exhaust on it over the winter and have the final tune put on it, because the BSS are choking it up badly, but it is a blast to ride none-the-less. You shouldn't be disappointed!

#13 ·
Enjoy your build. I'm still grinning ear to ear after putting 10k on my build. Education is expensive, sometime the ease of one shop or kit out weighs the savings and aggravation of jumping around.

#15 ·
Thanks guys.....Now I'm beginning to wonder if I should swap to a chain at the same time, or wait to see if I break a couple of belts 1st.

#19 ·
Saw an ad in the October AIM for these guys:http://www.beltdrives.com/

They claim to have stronger belts. Anybody familiar with them?

#17 ·
Good point....but I'm tired of having to take sh!t apart to fix something multiple times. My primary has been drained 4 times in the past 3500 miles.

#24 ·
You may be fine with a belt, espescially depending on your riding style. I know Dave @ JD's belt on his RK(?) lasted longer than mine did on my bike, and he's making more HP/TQ than I am.

I don't hit mine hard right out of the hole, but after a bike length or two roll-out I hit it hard the rest of the way through 1st gear and up...

My OE belt broke hard on it in 1st gear, back when the bike was a 95cui., the BDL broke on a hard, high rpm 1-2 shift. At that point my wallet and riding style dictated the need for a chain kit.

K.

#25 ·
Good Build!

Hey, Beau! Sounds like a very good combo and will likely knock your socks off! I sure hope I don't fall into the same vat of Koolaid everybody on here is drinking---but if my 107" (which i don't even have broken in yet!) fix doesn't last as long as I think it will, I may be taking a big ol' chug of it! Ha!!! "MORE POWER!!!"
Good luck with the build! Let me know when you are out and about on some break in miles and I'll try to meet up with you somewhere and ride along! :)

Kev

#30 ·
TR suggested that we set it up between 10.6:1 and 10.8:1.....So, going at 10.7:1 should be no problem.

#31 ·
Just spoke to Leonard at D&D about baffle options. He actually suggested multiple options for me....1) Swap my baffle out to the performance (big bore), either the "regular" one or the "wrapped" version if I want a little quieter. 2) Switch from Fatcat to Borzilla. I'm leaning toward sticking with the Fatcat and just swapping baffles, partly due to the cost factor. Anyone want to weigh in on this?

#33 ·
I am running almost the identical 120" build as PhilM except he is running the Factcat with the performance baffle and I am running the Borzilla with the "quiet" baffle. Nothing quiet about it though. I build a bit more HP and he builds a bit more torque. If I had it to do over, I would run the Fatcat with the performance baffle as torque is where it is at.

#34 ·
It's a little early for that right now BAM.....I'll see you at Baker's later today.

I am running almost the identical 120" build as PhilM except he is running the Factcat with the performance baffle and I am running the Borzilla with the "quiet" baffle. Nothing quiet about it though. I build a bit more HP and he builds a bit more torque. If I had it to do over, I would run the Fatcat with the performance baffle as torque is where it is at.

Thanks for the info Dalton. I'm going to go with the big bore baffle in my Fat Cat. Leonard quoted me $109 for a "regular" performance baffle; $159 for the "wrapped" version. These options are a little easier to swallow than $800+ for a Borzilla.

#36 ·
Well, here's where we are as of today. Motor is out, and being broken down. Sorry for the crappy pics, but cell phone is all that was available.

Attachments

#38 ·
Just got an e-mail from Dave. Cases arrived via Big Brown Truck on Tuesday. They are split, and he's working on Timken conversion right now. I can't wait to get this thing back together and on the road. In the mean time, I ran across an '09 FLTR that I'm lusting after......

#39 · (Edited)
I don't know if they were your cases,but I seen some cases that he had installed the timken on.The cases had the screws & reinfocement pins(I guess thats what they call them) in them.Dave is a nice guy(very knowledgeable) & does nice work!!! I was dropping my bike off to get the 124ci treatment!!!!The build is underway.It's been a long time coming!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.