V-Twin Forum banner

help with cruise control ??

9K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  madjack02 
#1 ·
The bike is a 02 ultra,95bb, dd6, sert, 100/100. Took fairing off this winter to servic the forks & head bearings. also installed a platium air suspension. Now the bike is throwing a code, intermittently idles rough. and the cruise isn't working. The dash switch lites up, set & resume switchpower goes in and out properly. hopeing it isn't the module, or step motor. Anyone else, out there that might have a idea whats going on thanks ahead gene

#2 ·
If it worked before all the work you did to it it is most likely related to what you did. Check your plug connections under the fairing. check that you do not have a stuck brake light switch and and make sure that you have not over tightened your throttle cables. there needs to be some slack for the roll off switch to work properly. That switch is located by the front of the fuel tank on the right side. It is covered with a black rubber sleeve with two wires coming out of it.

#4 ·
Agree, re-intialize the cruse control's cable slack

Cruise control is very sensitive to the throttle cable slack. I once moved throttle cable around while installing a wire harness. Cruise control stopped working immediately. Had to do the re-initialize the system. Worked fine then. Happens occasionally if your an aggressive bike cleaner.

#5 ·
I to had a recent problem with my cruse control. I had the fairing and tank off for engine work and when I put it back together the cruse control would not engage. I got the wiring diagram out and traced the connections to the roll off switch which is in the return throttle cable. This is a very sensitive switch. It closes its contacts when you manually close the throttle. I found that my switch was staying closed all the time and that kept a 12 volt signal to pin g on the plug to the cruse control module. Loosening the cable did not work for me, I had to spray brake cleaner into the switch and move it all around and blow it out to get it to not be shorted. Cable placement and wire placement are critical to keep this switch working. There should be no 12 volt signal to pin G unless you turn the grip to the closed position then you should see 12 v on that pin.

#6 ·
update on the cruise. readjusted the throttle cables, did the re-intilizing . the lite came on the tach, engine revs increased, all as per instuction. took bike for test, an still no engagement. I think that must narrow it down to the roll-off swicth,on the idle cable. this cable is a barnnet 8" over, I wonder if anybody else might have had a issue with this particular switch, used by barnnet. anyway I ordered one today. will replace, and go from there.

#7 ·
I have been having problems with mine. It will engage only occasionally if I put pressure on the wires going to the switch. One way to eliminate the switch as the problem in testing is to unplug one of the wires going to the roll off switch and it can't give a false signal. The only way you will be able to shut off your cruse would be to tap the brakes or turn off the main switch to the cruse. I would not suggest leaving it that way. just a way to make sure that you don't replace the wrong part.

#8 ·
I bought a new idle cable today with the rolloff switch at the dealer today 32.95 cheep concidering the agrivation it causes when intermittant. I disconnected the wires to the switch and the cruse works fine except you have to tap the brakes to shut it off a safety issue. I will install the new cable in the next few days.

#9 ·
well. saga goes on. I disconnected the wires to the roll-off switch. no good, still will not engage. If I do the re-initilizing prosses the engagement lite comes on , the engine rpm's increase then drop to idle. But then,when I test for cruise , I get nothing. ALSO when I start the bike it idles fine, but ride for a mile then come to a stop, engine dies,won't idle on its own. Drive the bike a few more miles, then the red engine lite comes on, now when I come to a stop it idles just fine, but if I turn the engine off an restart it does the same as before. Changed the speedo sending unit , that made no change. I'm at a lost, don't know what to look at next

#11 ·
Jack how is it going with the cruse control. If it comes to it I have a spare stepper motor that would fit. I changed mine for one that works on the 06 and later when I updated my wire harness to accept the new HK radio and speedo and tach. The pulse signal per mile changed and the new motor was necessary. I would let it go for 50 cents on the dollar. I hope it dose not come to that for you but just incase.

#12 ·
CTS, thanks for the download. I replaced the idle cable, found the throttle cables were wat out of adjustment. still have the fairing off bike so haven't tested yet. weather turning to crap here in montana. thanks for the stepper motor offer, but the module an motor seem to be OK. It Initilized just fine. I will update as soon as I can get out to test Gene

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.