V-Twin Forum banner

White faced speedometer?

2K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  1bdBagr 
#1 ·
I really like the looks of the white faced speedometers. Thinking about one for my 2000 RK Classic. Is there a white faced kit available? I'm talking about just recovering the face like the kits for cars. If not and I found a complete speedo can the odometer be changed to the correct mileage? Not talking about odometer fraud here, just the opposite. I want it right. TIA, Roy

#5 ·
Nostaligia Speedo

47Norton said:
I really like the looks of the white faced speedometers. Thinking about one for my 2000 RK Classic. Is there a white faced kit available? I'm talking about just recovering the face like the kits for cars. If not and I found a complete speedo can the odometer be changed to the correct mileage? Not talking about odometer fraud here, just the opposite. I want it right. TIA, Roy
Bite the Bullet and get the nostalgic Speedo / Tach combo. Can't go wrong.

#7 ·
chrt396 said:
I can just feel the honesty oozing out of this post!
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm wanting a tach someday and I will want a white/silver one. Just want to make sure I can get a speedo to match. chrt396......... Not sure what you mean. I've got 30K on my bike and no reason to alter the mileage. I'll take the high road here, and assume it was poorly executed sarcasm. :thanks:

#8 ·
Check everything before you order them. I wanted a set of gauges for my 03 Ultra. I do not remember if it was silver or white. Anyway, started checking & found out they would not work due to wiring being different. Just double check.

#9 ·
also check your dealer first

My dealer won't reset odometers on speedos. The service writer says its against the law (CA). If you get new then it is set by Harley before they ship it. If you get used, i don't know how that works.

#10 ·
The nostalgic Speedo / Tach combo will not work with the 99-03 bikes, only the 03 and up, same goes for the street glide. The only one taht will work with pre 04 bikes in the "normal" combo. Take a look at these....
https://www.customspeedometers.com/
I order mine the other night....:brows:
S/F
Big John

#11 ·
speedos

the 02 and earlier use a completely different system as opposed to the 03 and up using a serial bus connection. In simpler terms, the 02 and down, the mileage is ON the speedo, You change the speedo, you change the mileage. The 03 and up. the mileage is recorded in the "computer" within the bikes' system...and the speedo gets changed-no difference. Same mileage. So...................the speedos DON'T interchange. Ain't that a bitch?

#12 ·
47Norton said:
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm wanting a tach someday and I will want a white/silver one. Just want to make sure I can get a speedo to match. chrt396......... Not sure what you mean. I've got 30K on my bike and no reason to alter the mileage. I'll take the high road here, and assume it was poorly executed sarcasm. :thanks:
I was feeling sarcastic that day!! Don't mind me. It's really hard to criticize since I don't know your real intentions..but I'll believe you ...if that really matters...!! I've seen posts where people are asking questions...and it's obvious what their intentions are, but I'm sure that you are a law abiding citizen and would never do anything illegal. I can just tell!! {salute(

#13 ·
1bdBagr said:
the 02 and earlier use a completely different system as opposed to the 03 and up using a serial bus connection. In simpler terms, the 02 and down, the mileage is ON the speedo, You change the speedo, you change the mileage. The 03 and up. the mileage is recorded in the "computer" within the bikes' system...and the speedo gets changed-no difference. Same mileage. So...................the speedos DON'T interchange. Ain't that a bitch?
Thats 04 and up that use the serial bus .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.